| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  GFI Ultra questions
Anthony Dickerson

Richmond, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2011 4:48 pm    

I stumbled across a 2005 GFI Ultra that I couldn't pass on. It was set up with the e's on the right knee and the left knee was a real piece of work. It all functioned ok but not in a way that I could adjust to. After a few hours of laying in the floor with it, I have it set up with the "standard" emmons setup. My questions are:

1)Is there any way to tighten up the lever over the left knee? As it is, it just kinda flops around and lays on my leg.

2)How do you set up the half stop that lowers 2 and 9?

Thanks!
Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2011 4:57 pm     Re: GFI Ultra questions

Anthony Dickerson wrote:
1)Is there any way to tighten up the lever over the left knee?

Tighten the screw, with nut, holding the (black) lever to the (silver/yellow) arm.

Anthony Dickerson wrote:
2)How do you set up the half stop that lowers 2 and 9?
Balance the rods on bellcranks so string 2 gets lowered a half-tone before string 9 starts lowering - in effect using string 9 as half-tone stop for string 2.
Richard Damron

Gallatin, Tennessee, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2011 7:46 am    

Right on, Georg.
Michael Schuppe

Kent, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2011 9:06 am    

I have a GFI Expo that has the same problem with the LKR lever. I've tightened the screw/nut as tight as it'll go and it still flops around very loosely. Had the guitar for a little over a year, and this problem came up just about a month ago. Don't really know about "holding the (black) lever to the (silver/yellow) arm" - guess I'll take another look at it and try again.
Chuck Blake

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2011 9:59 am    

My levers seem a little loose and maybe that's the problem I have but I thought it was something other than a loose lever.

I don't feel comfortable with the distance between the two pairs of levers. AKA: I don't like the spread with relation to my leg with.

I'm not a heavy weight but consider a tall/big guy. Not thunder thighs either....lol.

So...... maybe the levers are just hanging there and touching the sides of my legs and I'm thinking they are to tight.

Chuck
Anthony Dickerson

Richmond, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2011 10:13 am    

I seem to have found the problem... The screw and nut have been replaced with a pin. I noticed it earlier but assumed it to be made that way so I was looking for another way to tighten it. Nothing a trip to Ace Hardware won't fix. Smile

As far as the half stop goes, I tried to adjust it so that the 9th string engages when the 2nd string is at the half stop and it worked fine... until I retuned the 9th string pull. Is it just a matter of playing with it until you find the magic spot or is there something I'm missing? Forgive my ignorance, I'm only a couple years old to steel and only a couple of days to a GFI.

Thanks for the help! It is sincerely appreciated!
-Anthony
Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2011 11:10 am     Re: GFI Ultra questions

Anthony Dickerson wrote:
Is there any way to tighten up the lever over the left knee? As it is, it just kinda flops around and lays on my leg.

It sounds like you're referring to a vertical lever? On my Ultra there's a little set screw on the side of the lever (in my case, the side facing away from the player) that you have to tighten with a small Allen wrench so the lever grips the bracket. It's the same Allen wrench that adjusts the angle of the knee levers.
Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2011 9:43 pm    

^^^
Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2011 11:01 pm     Re: GFI Ultra questions

Brint Hannay wrote:
On my Ultra there's a little set screw on the side of the lever (in my case, the side facing away from the player) that you have to tighten with a small Allen wrench so the lever grips the bracket.
That set screw towards the front can be tightened just enough to be able to adjust lever height with the set screw under the lever.

Anthony Dickerson wrote:
As far as the half stop goes, I tried to adjust it so that the 9th string engages when the 2nd string is at the half stop and it worked fine... until I retuned the 9th string pull. Is it just a matter of playing with it until you find the magic spot or is there something I'm missing?
Providing the 2d string is tuned open to D# - lowering to D and C#, and 9th string is tuned open to D - lowering to C#, the first half-tone lower on 2d string before 9th string - and 2d string - starts lowering to C# should give pretty accurate lowering for both those strings. If not, you may have to "play around" with which holes on the bellcranks the rods for those strings are fasten in. On mine it is the hole furthest from the bellcrank-axle (lowest hole with the steel upright) on both those strings.
The lower-return spring on string 9 also play a role in that there must be enough tension in it to give a good feel for the half-stop for string 2, but not much more.
Anthony Dickerson

Richmond, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2011 2:02 pm    

Thanks for all of the help guys. Sorry, I was refering to a vertical knee lever but my other ones needed tightening too. I should have been more specific in my original question but as it turns out, I now know how to fix the other ones too! Smile Thanks again for all of your valuable input. I'd be lost if it weren't for you guys! Looking forward to my new steel!