| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Grady Lindler 80 in October
Kenny Martin

Chapin, S.C. USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2011 8:34 am    

I felt after all the years of playin steel i had to post a comment about one of the best steel players ever that will turn 80 next month. Mr. Grady Lindler!

From 1948 thru 1965 he was an original member of the Hired Hands and did a TV show for many years. Along with playin steel he is also one of the best fiddle players ever to play the intrument. He played with Pappy Sherril and Snuffy Jenkins for years as well.

Grady is like my second father and regardless of what anyone says, if you were learning to play steel around Columbia or Lexington S.C. you would always end up at Grady's house learning something from him. Many steel players i know today learned something from Grady. You know who ya are! Winking

He will turn 80 next month and still today can take you out to his shop and sit down behind his 1966 PP Emmons and blow your mind on some Buddy Emmons C6 stuff. I have seen him take a steel completely apart and put it back together. He also can wind a pick-up as good as you can by.

He came to my daddy's funeral and we talked many hours. My daddy loved him like a brother and for the most part said Grady was the best ever to play steel.
I love him like my daddy and hope he is around many more years!

Also, Grady says there is only one steel player in his mind and that is Buddy Emmons!
If Emmons played it, it was the way it should be played according to Grady! He told me not long ago that Buddy Emmons is steel guitar no matter what anybody says.

Here's a picture of him playin a Bigsby i believe in the early 60's with the Reece Sister's on TV.

Also a current picture of him with Amick Junction playin fiddle and steel.

I just wanted to recognize and awesome Icon in my world of steel guitar!!!

Happy Birthday early Grady! Love ya man!!.....kenny

Chapin, S.C. USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2011 4:25 am    

Smile

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2011 9:16 am    

A big "ditto" from an ex-Columbianite. Many more happy years to you, Grady. Very best wishes!
Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2011 12:12 pm    

Yes Grady was a big influence on me. Met him in the early 70's. Went to his house and picked in his living room.

Grady is one of the nicest guys you could ever meet.

However, I could never get him out of SC. hmmm

Love ya pal,
Bill