| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  DD-3 problem (the problem was me!)
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2011 7:23 am    

My Boss DD-3 has developed a problem - there's a small plunger-type switch under the pad that no longer seems to operate. The red light comes on I 'click' the switch but it won't stay switched on.

I sthis an economical repair or not? I've been using it a bit lately and I've come to enjoy the DD-3 as an alternative to my Profex racks.

Any help will be gratefully received....

Last edited by Roger Rettig on 28 Oct 2011 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2011 7:26 am    

Roger,
It appears that the off/on switch is haywire.
I would try and contact Roland/Boss and they should have a fix for it.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2011 7:58 am    

Hey Rog...I replaced a switch in a DM-2 Boss pedal. The wiring is not complicated, it's a little tight and tedious but pretty straight forward.

I ordered a tactile switch from this guy in Brooklyn. Nice guy, great service. The postage will cost you more than the switch.

It's listed for a DS-1, but I think they're the same under the treadle. He could tell you for sure.

http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=36
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2011 8:29 am    

Thanks, Jerry - I've sent him an email asking if he thinks it'd work on my DD-3.

As long as I can fumble my way through fitting it, this could work out!

Much appreciated....
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2011 1:24 pm    

He emailed me, Jerry - it's the right part for most Boss pedals including mine. It's on its way to me for a total of $6.75!

Now - do I have to remove the treadle and prise out the old switch? After that it'll just be soldering, right?

Many thanks for your guidance!
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2011 2:31 pm    

Well, it's been a few years and I've since sold that one and all my other Boss stomps, so I don't have one to look at.

As I recall, the treadle lifts up out of the way, but you may need to remove it. The bottom cover and insulator plate may need to come off too to access the switch release tabs and give you enough wiring access. I'm sorry, I've forgotten. I don't recall it being a major deal though, the main thing is be careful to not pull any other wiring loose. Like I stated earlier, it's a bit tedious due to the space and the tiny wiring you must navigate. It should wire up similar to your existing switch.

You can prolly google a pdf of the parts explosion.

I think if you set aside adequate time, make notes of wiring points before you start and retrace your steps, you'll be OK. Good Luck.
Bill A. Moore

Silver City, New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2011 7:51 am    

I thought all the Boss pedals used JFET switching, using momentary switches.
Willis Vanderberg

Petoskey Mi
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2011 8:51 am    

Roger:
There is a repair facility right in Tampa. They repaired one of my DD/3 pedals at a very reasonable cost, and a very fast turnaround.If you don't have the paper insert that came with the pedal, stop at a music shop that sells Boss and they can give you the address.

Old Bud
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2011 8:57 am    

Repair service:

Roland Corp. U.S.
5100 S Eastern Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90040/2938

TEL: 323-890-3700
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2011 9:53 am    

Okay....

To prove that I'm not afraid to confess to my own stupidity I'm owning up here.

Thanks to Jerry O's help I acquired a new switch from the 'guy in Brooklyn'. As Jerry assured me, the part was cheap (the postage cost more!) and the service was efficient.

however, as I'm dead nervous about any sort of disassembly I've been putting off actually trying to fix it! So, remembering that my new pal, guitarist Tom Weaver (on my current 'Patsy' show) had shown great resourcefulness in fixing my ailing NV-112, I took the DD-3 and the new switch into the theatre last night to ask him to do it for me.

Imagine my embarrassment when, after he'd examined it for a couple of minutes, he said: 'There's nothing wrong with it - you had it set on the 'Hold' mode, and the light doesn't function in that setting...'

Sure enough, we plugged it in and there's nothing wrong!!!! How it got switched to 'Hold' I'll never know (I never use that setting), but please, everyone, accept my apologies for wasting your time!
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2011 11:32 am    

Don't give up the day job Roger... Very Happy
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2011 12:35 pm    

Hi Roger. Been wondering how you came out on that. Don't feel bad, you're not the first to have something like that happen. Been there myself. Embarassed

Look at it this way, now you have a replacement switch if you ever need it, or maybe sell it to someone else.

The important thing is that it's working now.

Cheers JO.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2011 12:53 pm    

Sound advice, Ken!

Jerry: I've placed the new switch on the mantlepiece as a constant and permanent reminder of my ineptitude...

Embarassed
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2011 8:59 pm    

Reminds me of the time I came out of the bar to find my car stolen. I was swearing like a sailor. The band found it on the other side of the parking lot where I had parked it. Duhhhhh!
Clete Ritta

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2011 10:11 pm    

Well now you have a spare part in case you do happen to stomp the switch into an out of order state. Those Boss pedals are pretty durable overall though. I still have a DD3 that works fine after decades of abuse.

I thought my NV1000 was not working at a gig once, and began to panic until I discovered that the power cord had come loose from the chassis underneath. I wasnt aware that it was a removable type plug found on most electronic gear these days and not hard wired. Sometimes a second set of eyes is all you need to spot the obvious! Laughing

Clete