| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Played a Mullen Guitar tonight
Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2011 9:19 pm    

A got a change to play a Mullin Guitar tonight. A very impressive sounding guitar, and the workmanship on this guitar was wonderful. Just my opinion.
Chuck McGill

An hour from Memphis and 2 from Nashville, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2011 5:13 am    

Keith I too played a RP for the first time on a gig Sat. nite. I too was very impressed. The hardest thing for me to get used too is the action is so soft I would lean on a pedal and not know it. That really is a good thing.
Ned McIntosh

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2011 5:36 am    

Mullen steels are beautifully engineered, masterfully built, smooth to play and they sound magnificent. I was lucky enough to get a mint second-hand D10 Royal Precision and it is smooth and easy to play with rich, full and balanced tone coupled with enduring sustain. I am especially impressed with the stock Mullen single-coil pickups and their resistance to picking up hum.

Anyone looking for a new steel must put Mullen on their short-list.
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2011 7:28 am    

a friend had a royal precision years ago that i thought was as good as i'd ever seen or heard, right out of the box.
i'd still like to hear one on a recording, though. does anyone use a mullen on any tunes being played on the radio?
Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2011 8:07 am    

Keith, did you get to play the G2?...
Mullen is the best guitar on the market IMHO...
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
Keith Hilton

Post  Posted 19 Sep 2011 11:39 am    

Mickey last night I played the red single neck E9th Mike took to the Steel Convention in St.Louis. As I understand it, many of the parts are G2 parts, but I think this is a new experimental guitar Mullen is building. As I understand it, it is one class above a student type guitar. I can tell you the sound--tone quality was much more than you would expect out of any guitar. The neck was red formica. We tested this guitar against 6 other guitars and it sounded best by far, even better than a legendary early 70's Emmons Push Pull--Even better than a brand new Emmons Legrande III. The guitar had the standard stock Mullen E9th pickup which had impressive volume and tone quality. I was so impressed with the Mullen single coil pickup I would like to put it on one of my other brand of guitar. Workmanship on the Mullen was outstanding, but the sound was what knocked my socks off.
Keith Hilton

Post  Posted 19 Sep 2011 12:22 pm    

Of the 7 guitars tested for sound quality, you will never guess what guitar came in 2nd, but very close to the Mullen. A GFI with a Jerry Wallace true tone pickup. Some people turn their noise up at GFI because it is powder coated and not polished. From experience I can tell you, don't under estimate a GFI. I really hate to say it, but the worst sounding guitar was my 1981 Zumsteel. This is "not" to say all Zumsteel's sound like my 1981, the pickup may need to be replaced, because it is an older guitar. This testing of 7 guitars proved many things to me--I used to think my Zumsteel's sound was great until I tested it beside several other guitars. I want to point out something else, there are other "GREAT" guitars that were not in the 7 guitar test. Two really great guitars I wish were in the test are the Justice and the Williams. Every Justice and Williams guitar I have ever heard or played sounded wonderful.
Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2011 1:31 pm    

Keith that's a very strong testimonial on behalf of the Mullen products. The guitar you played is being marketed as the "travel model". It has an RP type changer, and a lot of the Mullen magic is there. A few weeks ago I read a statement that Bobbe Seymour made in his TIPS email. He stated that one of the best sounding Emmons guitars he ever played had no levers and no pedals. It makes you wonder if "lighter is better" when it comes to tone. I noticed that the Mullen does not have a support rail that tuns the length of the apron, rather one that is just long enough to accommodate the cross_shafts. This im sure, along with other changes has lightenend the guitar considerably.
I've asked them to send me one to display on YouTube, as everything I've heard about the guitar was positive.
I think the idea was to aim it at the road players that don't want to take their prized Zum, Mullen, Emmons etc on the road, without having to sacrifice the tone, performance and reliability, effectively reducing the number of compressed vertebrae, and hernias amongst the "herd".
As for the pickup, I know Del has put in a lot of time and effort refining the pickups that he puts in his guitars. I have tried numerous pickups in my Mullen, and have always come back to his single coil...
I can honestly say that Mullen is by far my choice hands down. So on behalf of them let me say "thanks" for the post...
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
Elton Smith

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2011 1:43 pm    

I just gotta get in this.When I first joined the forum ,I posted a ? about who makes the best steel guitars.This was an honest ? as I thought It would be like 6 strings are mostly Fender or Gibson.Not so, seemed I started a firestorm.Every poster loved his brand of guitar.So I started investigating steel guitars.I own two MSA steel guitars one has a humbucker the other a single coil. One is a 10 string that has the bucker in it.The one with the single coil is a ext 12.I like the super sustain the best on the 10 string mainly because its wore out like me.I would guess Reese and Del are friends.Reese is useing modern composites in the contruction of his guitars.Which are indestructable.Dell is putting needle bearings in the cross shafts.Which makes for the smooth movement.Both of these instruments will last a life time plus!The winner will be who can make the best guitar for the least money.I know thats a very hard task.But any one wanting to learn how to play steel or any other instrument for that matter is not willing to spend 4k just to see if they can play it.Ive read on this forum that those old Msa's don't bring much used.Thank God for that.If not I would not be here.If I were to buy a new steel guitar tomorrow I would have to buy a Mullen.The fact being a great engineered instrument for less money.The other would be Mickey,for showing us how to play the damn thing.Im not trying to start a fight, just my opinion.This is an American instrument made by Americans.I will never in my life time buy one from another country!
Fender Telecaster
MSA S10 Classic
ShoBud
Old Peavy Amps
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2011 2:30 pm    

alrighty then...now we know what the hot steels are. would you please post me the clips from tunes recorded with the mullenses (especially the new economy model that you say blows everything out of the water) and the williamses that look like a pretty and light guitar and the gfi's other than mooney's which we know is a special case (cause it's the moon)... although some have posted that they preferred his tone from the sho-bud and fender.

i suppose paul f. will want a mullen flight model single neck if they sound that good. after all it's his business to get the best possible sound.

don't get me wrong, i'm the first to say the player makes the magic happen. so i would expect many great recordings from those good players who happen to choose gfi, mulen and williams. i just want to hear it!
Elton Smith

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2011 3:30 pm    

Chris I would say that should be your own quest, like mine was.
Fender Telecaster
MSA S10 Classic
ShoBud
Old Peavy Amps
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2011 4:06 pm    

Thanks for that review Keith. Everything I've heard about this new Mullen "Discovery" flight model is positive. I'm anxious to sit one for myself.

FWIW, I also have an '81 Zum. I tried a few pickups on it before I decided on the Alumitone. I like it.
Steve Palousek

Holland. Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2011 4:13 pm     I cant wait!!!

I have a G2 on the way. I was able to spend some time in St.Louis with one and I can tell it has the magic! Everyone I've talked to loves theirs!
Keith Hilton

Post  Posted 19 Sep 2011 6:25 pm    

I am not a new comer to steel guitar. My parents bought me a lap steel when I was 7 years old. I have been playing steel guitar ever since, and I am now 68. One thing I am starting to realize-- in my old age-- is how little I know about the steel guitar. When I was younger I thought I knew everything about everything! I am starting to realize that some guitars have something magic about their sound, and many others are dead. The only way I can describe the magic is to say it is musical. In years past I do not think I realized the guitars I was playing were dead sounding. Mechanically they worked great, and I went through the motions not realizing the musical sound was not there. A perfect example of one of my dead sounding guitars was a fancy Sho Bud that was made out of "POT METAL". Years later I found out that not all the Sho Bud's were made cheap out of POT METAL. All of the old Sho Buds were not created equal, some were built for profit only.
Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2011 6:37 pm    

I made the trek to meet Del and play the G2 almost 5 years ago when the G2 was just getting started...I first received #3, which is now in Houston..Now I have an S12 EXE9, and the only D12 Signature model as well...Cant go wrong...A#1 Guitars!
Steve, Congratulations on your coming G2...Looking forward to hearing you play it live!!..
Wally Moyers

Lubbock, Texas
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2011 7:05 pm    

The G2 is the best sounding and playing guitar on the market...
Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2011 7:34 pm    

Keith Hilton wrote:
A perfect example of one of my dead sounding guitars was a fancy Sho Bud that was made out of "POT METAL". Years later I found out that not all the Sho Bud's were made cheap out of POT METAL. All of the old Sho Buds were not created equal, some were built for profit only.

We've been around this merry-go-round many times, but...
I'm not aware of any Sho-Buds that were "made out of pot metal." I am aware of a lot of Sho-Buds where many of the mechanical parts were made out of pot metal. That was a serious mistake, and no one to my knowledge says otherwise. It led to excessive wear and breakage of those parts--that is indisputable. It is argued that it had a deleterious effect on tone. That is debatable.

I have two guitars from the "pot metal" era of Sho-Bud myself, and while what constitutes good tone is very subjective, it is difficult for me to imagine anyone calling their sound "dead." They have a full, rich, balanced sound with a lot of low end, and out-sustain my GFI and Williams guitars in the high range significantly, while also not sounding thin or shrill.

The decision to use pot metal was surely budgetary, and not smart. But not all guitars of that era were bad-sounding guitars, just as Fender Telecasters vary individually--some early ones and high-dollar ones are not that great, some later ones and cheap ones sound fantastic.
Tim Sergent

Hendersonville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2011 8:42 pm    

Chris,
I played my G2 with Dierks Bentley on the How Great Thou Art Live at the Grand 'Ol Opry cd. He sang the old Hank Williams song "House of Gold".
jolynyk

Prince Albert Sask. Canada
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2011 9:02 pm    

I suppose Economics led to a lot of steel guitar makers to discontinue the S10 guitars, but build SD10.. This has been a big factor of not considering, Mullen, Raines, & other manufacturers that will not build an S10. Speaking on behalf of myself, 5 lbs is a lot, plus the case has to be bigger.. I notice a lot of players try to lighten their amps, by changing speakers yet purchase an SD10.. I have to consider & buy an S10 or quit playing, therefore a GFI. Age & physical condition dictate that. Maybe Mullen will consider building a single body guitar one day, though I realize it's so much easier to stock one body, & build a D10 or SD10..
Earl Briggs

Lancaster tx
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2011 10:31 pm    

Del Built Me a single 12 sunburst.with 8 floor and 6 knee's in 1993.this is still my main guitar.IT HAS THE TWIN PICKUPS ON IT.Never have had any problems with it.I've played mullen guitars since 1987.they are great guitars.haven't tried the G2 yet.but i hope to at the TSGA in March........Earl
Mike Mantey

Eastern Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2011 5:54 am    

You can get a single body Discovery Model and be set.

Chris there are no recordings on CD's YET for the Discovery model. Hundreds on the G2, but I'm not sure that is what you are questioning. Del did 1 sound clip here.

http://www.mullenguitars.com/Econo.htm

Keep in mind the guitar was just realeased and seen for the first time in St. Louis, less than a month ago.

Hey Tim nice to hear from you. Dierks has a few things out with a G2. I would grab up a copy of the Live DVD. I sure like it.

Thank You all for the Great comments. It keeps us going strong. Your ALL the reason we do what we do.
Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2011 6:54 am    

Haven't played (or even seen) a Discovery yet,but if it were an automobile,I think it'd be a Packard One Twenty-economy on the appearance/luxury items,but no compromise on the engineering.
Tyler Hall

Mt. Juliet, TN
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2011 6:42 pm     Mr. Hilton...

Well Keith, now you know why I sold those two killer Emmons that I had! The G2's blew the mechanics away, not to mention the resonance in the cabinet, sustain and tone where better with the Mullen. I've had my black G2 nearly 5 years now and it gets better everyday. I swear the more I play it the more it opens up and the better it sustains. You should try Bethel's G2 out. I don't think you ever got to play mine. The pedal action in these guitars have ruined me! I've played great guitars in just about every brand, but nothing else plays or sounds like the Mullens. Call me sometime.It's been too long since we've talked.
Tyler Hall

Mt. Juliet, TN
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2011 6:53 pm     Recording with a G2

BTW, if you want to hear a great example of what a G2 sounds like, Robby Springfield just played and produced Garry Ash's new CD. I know there was a post about it. Garry did a great job on it and Robby sounds amazing. His tone and taste are both outstanding. It's a great CD.

I just received a copy of an album I played on a few months ago and I was very impressed with how well my guitar recorded. I know producers always seem to be happy with it.
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2011 7:07 pm    

Tim Sergent wrote:
Chris,
I played my G2 with Dierks Bentley on the How Great Thou Art Live at the Grand 'Ol Opry cd. He sang the old Hank Williams song "House of Gold".

Tim, that Mullen sounded great on that song!

Brett
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger