| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Discovering Hidden Potentialities
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2011 4:03 am    

Attempting to discover hidden potentialities is a worthwhile concept that sets the stage for triggering new inroad approaches to improved musical expressions. While working through a deliberate extended effort in practice sessions, hidden capabilities surface, which will fine tune a confidence level greater than first experienced in lesser endeavors to achieve specific goals. IMHO, I submit these findings as factual, through personal experiences. Comments will be most welcomed.
Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2011 4:23 am    

Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Sehy #112
1975 Peavey Pacer

Last edited by Rick Abbott on 25 Sep 2011 4:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Christopher Woitach

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2011 9:15 am    

I think both the topic and the new sub topic are interesting.

Since the pedal steel involves many techniques that are unusual to the six string guitarist, and since I've been playing a relatively short time, it takes a bit of warmup before my "flow" gets engaged. Once that happens, and my mind and body get "right", not only do these unique steel techniques (damping, foot and leg work, etc) become available, but some less common moves (8th note ostinados with index and middle against syncopated long tones with thumb and ring finger, using pedals to switch chords, etc) start cropping up.

I find that the intense energy I put into pedal steel is showing up in my six string playing, not as pedal steel licks, but as completely different approaches to familiar creative situations.
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2011 3:03 pm    

Rick,

There should be a GOLDEN RULE in playing chord melody, or lead. Whatever seems awkward or too difficult to play, rest assured, there are most invariably better positions from which to work out the melody lines. Alluding to this bit of truth has kindled new encouragement while attempting to improve on smooth arrangements.
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2011 2:27 am    

Christopher,

Sometimes it takes more than words to demonstrate a motivation in musical terminology. The age-old expression familiar to Missouri residents as a whole, applies elsewhere; even here in the Northeast section of the land of opportunity. A quick burst of notes, quite unrelated to other imaginative arrangements, is what it really takes to stir up enough interests to "turn heads". Needless to say, apparently, smart talk is inefficacious in trying to introduce different varieties of approaches to better musical interpretations. Experience dictates that the element of disbelief is reduced instantly in the face of live demonstrations featuring remarkable finesse. There will always be room to apply special skills, even in the company of the most noteworthy musically inclined individuals.
Scott Henderson

Camdenton, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2011 7:48 am    

I like Ricks approach. Your "bag of tricks" can only be increased if you open your mind to other approaches from different instruments it can only help with your approach to a song. (whether you're using the melody line or not!) It brings up the question, "How can you add the proper part to a song if you are not familiar with what other instruments are adding?" Keep your back of tricks fresh with new ideas always...
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2011 11:02 am    

Scott,

I suspect that there are multiples of variables involving a lack of ascertaining the correct selection of combined notes in selected songs. Just one improperly played sour note could undermine an otherwise perfect rendition of artististic maneuverability. Inexplicable creative differences continues to perplex musicians, and it has been noted that science has little to add to resolving the mystery.
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2011 10:41 pm    

Would really like to know what's being said, Could you write it so a SIMPLE man could understand it. Will the esteemed author ever understand that not all of us are as sophisticated,refined,and worldly wise as he is ? Since I'm just an old half assed hack player plagued with illiteracy I know I could benefit from his vast knowledge and expertise of the steel guitar.If only he would throw away his [Klein's comprehensive Etymology dictionary of the English Language] and correspond with simple blue collar language.If only fifteen cent words that anyone could understand were used instead of throwing in five dollar words here and there like[ potentialities inefficacious,etc,]KISS, Sho-nuf would help me understand what you are saying,Bet I would be picking great in just a few days. YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2011 4:27 am    

Charles,

There are many areas to discuss concerning playing with perfect pitch. It just doesn't happen with you, or the finest players in the land. I was lucky to spend some time discussing pitch variations with a master guitarist in 1985. It is common knowledge that players of the steel guitar find it difficult to keep the "bar" alignment perfectly centered over the frets while attempting to maintain exact positions directly over the diminished spacings. I'm confident that this language can be readily perceived as a basic truth.
Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2011 5:16 am    

Is this a re-run?
Scott Henderson

Camdenton, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2011 5:55 am    

Bill
You're not listening to what I am typing...I'm not speaking of "sour notes" I am basically saying. The best knowledge you can have is knowing what not to play.
"Sour notes" are just a lack of general mechanics practice, too many margaritas, or a common brain fart. Playing the right thing comes from practice, quality listening, and being aware of your surroundings in the course of a song.

Yes Chris I think it is....LOL
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2011 7:07 am    

Scott,

As always, it isn't a good policy to assume that the other fellow is totally unaware of small details. Consider years of practice under another's belt before drawing conclusions. Chasing after small details is typical when a player becomes steadfast and faithful to practice sessions. Surprises in terms of ability can be a rude awakening; depending for the most part on rubbing elbows with others who share similar interests in the ultimate performances. I've found Chris to be more on the negative side of town. Disrupting goals has become a priority, whenever he addresses discerning subject matter.
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2011 11:56 am    

Think just MAYBE Chris is like a lot of us,To hell with [LITTLE DETAILS]. Take care of real problems,the small details won't cross your mind. I have loved music as long as I can remember [even as a toddler] Many times [as Chris Matthews would say] Have gotten a thrill up my leg from hearing a beautiful piece of music many times. BUT just a few here seem to think the steel guitar is the MOST important thing in their life.These guys I feel sorry for.I LOVE the steel,steel music,and playing my guitar for hours,HOWEVER there have been many things in my life that gave me as much [if not more] pleasure than my guitar,Like many years ago making love to my beautiful bride on our honeymoon,Holding my two daughters minutes after they were born,rocking them to sleep when they were small,their first day of school,their Jr. and Senior proms,Both of their wedding days,then the birth of my grandkids,One gave me a grandson,the other a granddaughter.Having one of my grandkids saying [I love you paw paw,even today having THOMAS KATT crawl up in my lap and purrs himself to sleep.I have seen the stately grandeur of a magnificent sunrise over the Atlantic ocean,also beautiful sunsets over the Pacific .Have rowed a pirogue in a Cajun swamp with gators and snakes,Have walked the streets of Hollywood surrounded by MUCH more deadly creatures than gators and cottonmouths.Have seen the colors change over the Grand Canyon or the Painted Desert.The comradery I have shared with many great[some not so great]but loved them all ,pickers over the last half century.And you think I worry about [LITTLE DETAILS] like maybe I played an A minor in a song last night that should have been a C Maj 7th. Plus a sidenote here,When I started playing I NEVER found it difficult to keep bar alignment over the frets,Seems maybe you just ASSUME way too much.JEEPERS CREEPERS. YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.

Last edited by Charles Davidson on 19 Sep 2011 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scott Henderson

Camdenton, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2011 8:31 am    

Hey CD...I agree. I have spent 30 years trying to be a full time picker and full time human all at the same time and I missed out on a lot of what you're talking about. So yeah don't sweat the small crap....Play and enjoy it...
OOO Bill their's a neat subject for a 4 page discussion on this here chatter box...How do you enjoy playing?????
Good post Charles....YOU BETCHA DYK?SH...
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2011 2:53 pm    

Scott,

Many times playing pedal steel guitar becomes totally enjoyable, with enthusiasm at a fever pitch. These moments of ecstatic devotion are commonly experienced during sessions of vitality and a feeling of healthful splendor. Band situations, marital changes, finances, etc. are major influences that determine levels of playing enjoyment. Band members can build confidence levels higher than many of the 'round home restraints that deter and govern volume levels to satify neighbors, or household members. Love of the instrument becomes embedded deeply in the soul as the learning experience awakens a sense of exclusive satisfaction that cannot be felt by others. These differences observed in the nonplayer must be recognized as part of reaching a respectable and acceptable level of playing. Keeping distractions out and away from the learning area of sessions is foremost among achievers.
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2011 7:27 pm    

Scott,Hope you got all that. Laughing YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.

Swanton, Ohio
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2011 9:04 pm    

Jeeze,I understood all of it and I almost finished the 6th grade...Got caught up in the military draft or iwould have made it.. Razz Razz Razz Razz
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2011 12:07 pm    

Moving from absolute DUMB DOWN, to a world of enlightening musical experiences, is one of the best explanations to describe the learnings of pedal steel methodology. Before taking up the steel guitar as a study, no other endeavor or challenge consisted of such a broad area of total ignorance. My personal experience dictates that all players of this present age were at one point as lost in space in their first attempts to play the instrument in the familiar state of total ignorance. PAYING YOUR DUES is simple terminology for shucking total ignorance over a period of time. Adaptability to such an unfamiliar study explains away why there are those who are quick to grasp small details, while others may enter into interminable stretches of missing the finer points to create listenable music. Who would argue those difficult times involving long periods of lacking the ability to grasp comprehensive musical expressions?
Papa Joe Pollick

Swanton, Ohio
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2011 1:58 pm    

"Who would argue those difficult times involving long periods of lacking the ability to grasp comprehensive musical expressions?"
Yep, that's me..Then the light comes on and I'm like Duh!! I'm a very slow learner..
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2011 2:29 pm    

Papa Joe Pollick,

I tend to be hesitant to believe that what you've deemed difficult to fathom, is nothing more than a standard among the majority of steel guitarists. There never has been a situation that allows the most brilliant of musicians to immediately grasp the multitudes of options confronting them at their first attempt to master the pedal steel guitar. The rewards of paying one's dues are well known among achievers; they are those individuals who persist, knowing that the greats had nothing handed to them on a silver platter. Their expertise came about through multitudes of patient practice sessions, and a common bond with other high ranking pros of the instrument.
Scott Henderson

Camdenton, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2011 2:43 pm    

[placing my tongue midway out of my mouth, pursing my lips, and blowing]

Knowledge is just knowledge without application. The best teacher is experience..

Now get out there and pick....
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2011 8:45 pm    

My fine Sir,My wife has called me a dumb-ass many times,But this is the first [Dumb Down]Or that my endeavors on playing the steel guitar consist of a broad area of total ignorance .And paying my dues for well over half a century [in your words] is simple terminology for shucking total ignorance over a period of time.And I miss the finer points to create listenable music.[At least I I have the guts to post it here for anyone to hear]And you say I lack the ability to grasp comprehensive musical expressions.[ Very classy comments]Whoa! Guess I have been conning all those people over the last 55 years that payed me pretty good to pick my guitar for them .Would you feel better if I could find them and refund their money ? YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2011 10:32 pm    

Scott,

When Chet Atkins suggested that he should sing for Waylon Jennings in the recording studio, Waylon turned to leave immediately. Chet asked Waylon,"Are you leaving?" Waylon replied, "That don't deserve an answer hoss." CHARLEY'S reply sort of sets the stage for commical replies on my part. His exaggerated claims and erroneous statements, proves beyond a shadow of doubt, that an argument with him will just go in circles. He's very entertaining when he wishes to be, but his outlook is just off to the left in complimenting others who may be deserving of credits in terms of achievements. [finis]

Scott, I say to you that proficiency and repertoire in the hands of some pedal steel guitarists clash miserably, when selections bore the dickens out of finicky listeners. Errantry scholars of the pedal steel guitars can go far beyond boundaries of listenable selections. NEW COUNTRY MUSIC is currently edging in that direction. The impact is on originality in what is, and what isn't in COUNTRY MUSIC. Several musings of late share the sentiments of disgruntled country music followers.
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 22 Sep 2011 6:10 am    

Quote:
His exaggerated claims and erroneous statements, proves beyond a shadow of doubt, that an argument with him will just go in circles.

This sounds like someone else we all know very well, BILL ….
Scott Henderson

Camdenton, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2011 6:30 am    

Bill,
In the words of Albert Einstein....What the hell are you talking about?
Charles views are spot on in my opinion....I don't know him personally but I would guess he is a good player based as much on his experience as his knowledge...(Again you're not listening Bill!!!) If you set in your basement and practice practice practice but don't know how to use the practice once you are asked to perform it's useless...THATS MY POINT!!!NO LISTEN!!! What do you call a musician who plays everything he knows all the time??? unemployed.... It is imparitive to take the knowledge you have and use it to compliment.....here it comes....are you ready?....THE SONG!!! not the singer, not the bass player....not anybody....THE SONG....Thats what gets you the good jobs. That's what make a listener set up in their theater seat and go "wow that was cool" and they don't even know how it came to be they just know they liked it...It's not our goal to have the listener go "did you hear what the steel player did!" it's our job to make music that is pleasing to their ears...then they'll want more....Get it....Now if you prefer to be an instrumentalist sit in your bedroom and work up those ohenom solos and arias until they are perfect...and what's cool is you can get a gig doing that....They're called steel shows!!!!!!!and the cool thing is you don't have to compromise your musical integrity casue they don't pay anything more than expenses. And when you're finished with those aw inspiring prose you constructed someone in the back will holler.."Play A Way TO SURVIVE!!!" ah now this is living........
Barry...agreed.......