| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  good distortion with a solid state amp?
Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2011 2:44 pm    

Trying to figure out a good distortion sound and a bad distortion sound. Would a good distortion sound be like a buzz saw hitting a rusty nail?
Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2011 6:58 am     Requested Distortion Clips

Good vs bad distortion is a very subjective thing.
We all know there's plenty of members here who believe any distortion is bad.

I've tried many, and for the last few years have been very satisfied with the MXR Distortion III

It's simple controls (Volume, Tone, Distortion) let me easily tweak the sound to taste.

Here's two clips, one live with it feeding a NV 112.
The PSG is a Carter with an XR16 pup.

The other clip is it being used in the studio, with a Bakelite Ricky Lap Steel.

It's a red box that can been seen in both clips.

http://youtu.be/XATgXt95jqI

http://youtu.be/7HiPlIbvjlc

These are the sound I like in distortion.
Bobby Snell

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2011 9:01 am    

Bad distortion is the SS poweramp distortion...nasty, scratchy, speaker blowing distortion.

Most distortion boxes are within a range of pre-amp type distortion, and that's where it can get buzzy with a lot of gain.

The sweetest singing distortion comes from hard-driven powertubes and speaker compression, and is the hardest to simulate with a box.
Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2011 1:31 pm    

The question of what's good distortion versus bad distortion is a personal thing. Some people like extreme fuzz type or metal type distortion. These are usually pretty harsh, with the sound of the guitar and amp pretty much taken over by the pedal (it doesn't really matter what you plug into the box, it will all sound the same). Boxes like the Ratt will handle this type of distortion well through a transistor amp (or any kind of amp, really). A lot of the metal guys prefer transistor amps.

For distortion, I prefer the sound of a tube amp being overdriven. It's really hard to get this sound with a solid state amp. IMHO you can get an acceptable overdriven sound, but not great. The two pedals that I have used that work well with solid state amps are the Seymore Twin Tube, and the Sarno Earth Drive. I haven't A/B'd these, but I will say that the Sarno sounds much better than my Fulltone Fulldrive 2. I'd recommend the Earth Drive.

In terms of examples, I don't want to offend any steel players Smile , so here's some guitar examples:

Here's what I would call a terrible distortion tone (although many would disagree with me) starting at 0:10 and then again at 1:10- Metal

Here's the anti-metal example: Two Tone Masters

Keith, here's an example of 'The Way to Survive' played through an overdriven amp at a steel show: A Different Way to Survive

That was a Zen Drive through a Princeton. The Zen Drive wouldn;t sound great into a transistor amp, it's designed to work against a fender style preamp.
Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2011 9:24 am    

Interesting Dan. By the way Larry Carlton uses my Hilton pedal. When Larry was playing with Steely Dan in Germany, the stage crew somehow blew up a bunch of equipment including two Hilton pedals. Wish I could play some Rockabilly and uptempo blues with distortion, but I can't get away with it where I play. Seems to me there are more types of distortion than mentioned here: Electronically you can have distortion in some type of device feeding an amp, as in a Tube Screamer. You can also overdrive a clean signal into the pre-amp of either a solid state amp, or tube amp, as both types of amp have a pre-amp and can be over driven. A defective speaker can also distort.
Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2011 9:41 am    

Keith: IMHO the best distortion comes from pushing the power amp section of a tube power amp.

In terms of the other types of distortion, overdriving a clean signal into a solid state preamp is a bad idea, as is using a blown speaker. IMHO Smile
Eddy Scheepers

Belgium, Europe
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2011 10:50 pm    

I use a Seymour Duncan Twin Tube classic. Robert Randolph uses a Cusack Screamer.

Check out his gear here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ornVV2luW20

Eddy
Tim Heidner

Groves, TX
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2011 9:18 am    

yes, but RR uses tube amps.

I'm wondering what pickups he uses.
Ben Feher

Austin TX
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2011 6:37 pm    

I use a catalinbread SFT thats left over from my bass playing days. Its designed to be really touch sensitive. I gotta say I like it. You can do a lot with its sensitivity. If its pre volume pedal it can be really touch sensitive where you play light and its clean dig in and its dirty. Then post volume pedal it'll resoponds to where your VP is; low volume it cleans up nicely and then with more volume it gets dirtier and dirtier untill at max you have a more screaming lead tone. But I really don't know what I'm talking about "tone" wise so YMMV. If your interested there are a bunch of demo's on youtube and stuff it might be worth checking out. This shows the dynamics pretty well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtrmxACnMhA

HOWEVER, I think there is something to be said for looking into BASS distorition pedals. They usually have more bottom end presence than guitar types, they are made to hanndle hotter signals from bass pre-amps, and they are voiced to be used with bass amps/cabinets that tend to be solid state and clean, and even involve tweeters(!).
Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2011 2:10 am    

Ben Feher wrote:
HOWEVER, I think there is something to be said for looking into BASS distorition pedals.

+1
Olli Haavisto

Jarvenpaa,Finland
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2011 1:14 pm    

My current favorite:

http://www.lovepedal.com/pedals/les_lius.html
Bob Grado

Holmdel, New Jersey
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2011 3:28 am    

I would guess the sound most of us are looking for is
David Lindley's ?
Tim Heidner

Groves, TX
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2011 8:55 am    

I just put a Wallace Truetone in my Mullen, the overdrive sounds a lot better now than with the Alumitone. I think I like the TT overall better than the Loomy, but it does come with some hum.
Thom Ferman

Las Vegas, NV, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2011 1:50 pm    

I'm playing in a nu-country band now that plays material requiring an overdriven rock sound out of the steel. As "good" distortion is highly subjective, I hesitate to post this link for fear of being flamed by the classic country purists: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wc5I-Gq6MaU
However, this is what I consider an appropriate distorted PSG sound through a solid state amp, solo starts about 1:33 in. Signal path is a GFI II pickup, Sarno FreeLoader, Electro-Harmonix Memory Toy, Digitech Hardwire SC-2 Valve Distortion, Goodrich VP, Digitech RV-7 Reverb into a Fender Steelking. Line out of Steelking was used for recording.
Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2011 8:13 am    

"Soft crossover" distortion is my favorite, but haven't found a "box" that produces that yet and modifying my SS-amps to produce it is out of the question. Have to build me one Smile

"Soft crossover" distortion lasts till there's no more sound delivered - actually distorts more the lower the sound-level, and it sounds more like "a growl" compared to most dist-units' "top-clip" distortion.

The best in my arsenal at present time, is the fuzz in a SteelDriver III in combo with an LMB-3 , hooked up in this order...

PU - SD-3 - LMB-3 - VP - SS-amp.

...which isn't too far off in the "growl" distortion category when the SD-3 is set to moderate distortion and the LMB-3 is driven to slight "top-clip" distortion.
Geoff Cline

Southwest France
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2011 8:39 am    

You need one of these--PEarce G2R the best SS distortion ever (also has Alessis reverbs and delays on board)...and coincidentally mine is for sale right now:

Steve Hotra

Camas, Washington
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2012 8:04 pm    

Tom Wolverton wrote:
I've been real happy with both the Earth Drive and the SD Twin Tube Classic running into a PV or Gk Mb200.

My favorite lap steel sound is a Ricky Bakelite thru a late 50's tweed deluxe, but for regular working gigs, the Earth Drive and the MB200 is good enough.
The lap is an old Kay with a Lollar Chicago pickup in it. A sample can be heard at about 1:45 min in this video clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH0OXnEk-Es

I could turn up the ED more and get it dirtier, but this was the tone I was looking for that night. Speaker is a single Peavey BW 12". Is this the level of dirt you wanted?

Hey Tom,
I like the sound you got with the Earth Drive and the MB200.
Amps: Mesa Express 5:25, Jazzkat Tomkat & Boss Katana head / various cabs.
Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2012 9:28 pm    

Thanks. I'm still using the ED full time. I tried the Golden Cello but didn't like it as much. I use the ED with any amp I use: MB200, MB500, Fender Showman or Ken Fox Steel amp. Works well with all.

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2012 11:49 pm    

I really like the Visual Sound Route 808, has a bass boost switch with really fattens tone. It sounds great with every string on my extended E9.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2012 9:26 am    

for over 20 years (since i ran into it) i've just used the ibanez 'fat cat' (FC10) stomp box. it's just what i like and has a warm sound with any peavey 400 amp.

i don't even know if it's analog or digital...anyone know about these?
Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2012 11:31 am    

My favorite distortion unit uses a tube.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/hughes-kettner-tube-factor-overdrive-pedal?tandt_rdir=1
Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2012 4:22 am    

Earth Drive is my favorite for distortion on steel.
Be sure to try any distortion pedal before and after the volume pedal.
Before the Vol. it is easier to control and after the Vol you lose some of the effect as you back off the volume if that it what you want.
Paul Arntson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2012 6:06 pm    

Boss ds-1 modded to reduce gain, Also hit it with a lower than maximum steel level. Remember less is more in the tasty gain department.The tone control on the DS 1 is your friend.
I can send you a simple mod to the DS1if you send me a personal mail.
I pad my steel down to 50% amplitude before hitting the rest of the chain.
It has the added advantage of being really cheap. You can find a ds1 for $20 and it might delight you. If not you can toss it in the trash, Small loss
Tom Bradshaw

Walnut Creek, California, USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2012 12:09 pm    

My tech (for Webb amps) recently put together and demonstrated to me the distortion unit that he built for the Webb "Galaxy" model amp that Olie Eshleman mentioned in his post on the previous page of this topic. What he did was to hook it up so that the 5-knob EQ bank on the Webb "Steel Guitar" amp could "model" the distortion available on the Galaxy model amp. Besides the "flavorful" distortions available on the Galaxy alone, the EQ provided innumerable variations in distortion that I'd never heard before.

I'm curious, and does anyone know, if a distortion unit exists that allows for EQing the output sound? ...Tom
Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2012 6:47 pm    

I just bought an Xotic RC Boost... it has Volume, Drive, Bass, and Treble. So does the Fat Boost by FullTone... it doesn't do as good or as clean a treble boost as the Xotic. Most folks just EQ the amp or run an EQ after the distortion.