| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tommy Spurlock 1973?
Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2005 5:52 am    

Has anyone here heard the second and last album by the duo Delbert & Glen?

That's Glen Clark, and Delbert McClinton, a couple of 1960s Texan R&B band veterans who moved to the West Coadt in the early 1970s and cut a couple of albums.

Their second one was cut in Texas, Hollywood and Alabama, and Tommy features on some cuts.
Does anyone know what he was up to back in the 1973 period when the sessions were cut?
I suspect he was a session player rather than a member of their band, this is the earliest session of his that I know of, so I'm quite curious to know more if possible.

Thanks all
J.
James Pennebaker

Mt. Juliet, TN
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2005 9:05 pm    

I grew up playing music with Tommy back in Ft. Worth, TX. Tommy is a few years older than me, but we played in several bands together in the Ft. Worth/Dallas area back in the 1970s. I've worked extensively with Delbert McClinton over the years (just played some pedal steel on a new CD he is currently working on) and know a pretty good deal about the going's on of those two Delbert & Glen LP's. The first LP (know as the "Cow" album) was cut in LA by a core group of musicians from the North Texas area, several of whom wound up in Texas by attending NTSU (now the University Of North Texas). All the guys were living in LA by the time the record was cut. After that first album didn't do so well, the core group disbanded and Delbert & Glen recruited other musicians and some of their friends from Ft. Worth to play on the second one (Subject To Change). Before moving out to California, both Delbert and Glen were staples on the local music scene in Ft. Worth and Tommy was a much in demand "sideman" as were a lot of us in those days. I speak to Tommy every now and then. He is living in the Austin, TX area these days.
JP
Jason Odd

Post  Posted 11 Feb 2005 6:12 am    

Hi James, yes the career of Delbert & Glen is actually reasonably well documented via the Raven CD (Australian) reissue as a two-fer-one CD.
The group's bassist was pretty much the only Californian on the early stuff.

The NTSU part of ther band also teamed up with another ex-NTSU alumini and toured briefly as part of Sonny & Cher's band, although drummer Matt Betton would rejoin for a couple of years or so, this was before his long association with Jimmy Buffett.
The Sonny & Cher stint was pre-Delbert & Glen, while Darrell Leonard from the group also did a stint with Delaney & Bonnie's band in 1970.

I was just curious about Tommy's early years and whether or not he was aligned with a studio and pulled the gig that way, or just knew them all. The in-demand part kind of covers both, he was pretty good even so young.

I work for the Australasian distributor for the New West releases for Delbert, the Koch label reissues on the D&G albums (straight reissue, one album to a disc), we also export the Raven stuff to the States, which includes 1970s Delbert solo albums and the previously mentioned D&G set.

I'm looking forward to the new album by Delbert, his last one was great.
By the way James, did you get a chance to play on any funky early 1970s albums, I collect a lot of counry-rock, gospel-rock, soul influenced stuff, especially the Southwest and southern stuff.

Eg: Mac Gayden, Delbert & Glen, Delaney & Bonnie, Jim Ford, Lonnie Mack, MacGayden, Barefoot Jerry, Don Nix, Big Star, Jim Dickinson, Guy Clark, Townes Van Zandt, Dan Penn, Joe South, Tony Joe White, etc.

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2005 7:12 am    

Back in the early to middle 80's I was playing in No.Long Beach, Calif. at a club called the DJ Ranch. One of the Sunday afternoon and Monday night bands we used was The Tony Treece group. Tommy was playing lead guitar for that band on those gigs. He stayed over a couple of times on Sunday after we started the night shift and we talked a bit here and there. He told me that he "played a little steel". I never got to hear him play steel until after I'd moved to Virginia and I turned on one of the music shows on TNN and lo and behold, there was Tommy playing steel for Susy Boguss. Dang, I wish I'd spent a little more time with him while he was in LA and got to know him a little better (to steal some licks) as he seemed like a real nice guy. I also saw him on TNN with Rodney Crowell at one point. A pretty darn good player to say the least. I hope he's doing well now........JH

------------------
Livin' in the Past and Future with a 12 string Mooney Universal tuning.

[This message was edited by Jerry Hayes on 11 February 2005 at 07:13 AM.]

James Pennebaker

Mt. Juliet, TN
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2005 2:39 pm    

Jason,

Yes, that Raven CD of the Delbert & Glen reissues does do a good job of telling the story. David Jackson (bass) and Tom Canning (keyboards) were the two native Californians in the band on the first album. Everybody else was a Texan including producer Joseph Henry Burnett, better known these days as "T Bone Burnett." Regarding Tommy Spurlock, I think I am qualified enough to state that Tommy was not yet a "session musician" during that time but just a good pal of both Delbert & Glen's and that is how he got the call for that record. Of course, as we know, Tommy would go on to do sessions upon his moves to LA and then later Nashville. Tommy was already a good steel player when I first met him in 1973 although he hadn't been playing very long at that time. He was mainly known around town as a guitarist (and he is an excellent guitarist too).

As far as me playing on any "funky early 70s albums," I'm not going to be on any recordings that date back to the early 1970s as I was still in high school until 1974. My first real "master" session was on a Freddy Fender album called "Swamp Gold" cut in 1977. I played fiddle on it. And I certainly would not call it "funky!" I was playing a little steel guitar by then but not at the level to do any recording with it. Steel has always been a second or third instrument for me behind the guitar or fiddle.

JP

[This message was edited by James Pennebaker on 11 February 2005 at 02:41 PM.]

[This message was edited by James Pennebaker on 11 February 2005 at 02:43 PM.]

[This message was edited by James Pennebaker on 11 February 2005 at 02:44 PM.]

Jason Odd

Post  Posted 11 Feb 2005 4:54 pm    

Hey James, yeah I used to have that album, but second hand vinyl has a perish point and my was practically on it when I got that one.
A good record, a hand me down I think.

I forgot about Tom Canning, while David Jackson I interviewed about his country-rock career and T-Bone's band came up.. Burnette's group and the D&G band kind of crossed over in regards to members, I count Burnette's album with the B-52 band as part of that whole thing, it's kinda like the first D&G record if John Lennon was singing.

thanks for the input James.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2005 5:21 pm    

Jason, you really ought to write a book. Your encyclopaedic knowledge of this stuff is amazing...
Jason Odd

Post  Posted 13 Feb 2005 4:55 am    

Thanks Jim, I'm getting there.

Anyone who wants to check out those D&G records, the single CD one album reissues should be out soon (import), while the Raven 2-for-1 CD is probably a cheaper import and most likely in those roadside Music Stop bins.

Bob Blair

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2005 8:48 am    

In the mid-70's he played on a few Ian Tyson cuts that were recorded in Calgary - they are on the "One Jump Ahead of the Devil" album. But I suspect you already know that Jason!
Jason Odd

Post  Posted 14 Feb 2005 4:59 am    

email coming your way Bob...
Gary Morse

Nashville,TN
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2005 12:03 pm    

Jason...I don't believe anyone mentioned the fact that Tommy Spurlock played and recorded with Highway 101 for several years in the late 80's. I took over his chair in 1989 when he left to tour with Rodney Crowell. Tommy played some really exceptional steel on the Highway 101 albums (Jay Dee also played some great steel on the first album) and his Sho-Bud tone was the perfect match for the West Coast based band. His tone was inspirational for me to change over to playing Sho-Buds and I've never looked back. Later I also played on some of the Highway 101 albums and tried to keep in the spirit of the earlier recordings Tommy had played on because his approach was the perfect marriage of traditional steel blended with the more California sound of the band.
For anyone who hasn't checked out Highway 101, most of the recordings are still available on cd either new or used. There is alot of steel on the recordings as well as some exceptional guitar playing by lead guitarist Jack Daniels.
Last I heard Tommy had moved back to Texas. Hope he's doing well......
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2005 9:23 pm    

Well, if we're moving to later stuff Tommy recorded on, check out Robert Earl Keen's Gringo Honeymoon and Mike Henderson's Edge of Night cds (mid 90s). These are classic 'Americana' records, and Tommy makes important contributions, great playing and great tone. (btw, Steve Hinson also had a great steel reading of Drivin' Nails in My Coffin on Henderson's cd).
James Pennebaker

Mt. Juliet, TN
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2005 10:13 am    

I was eluding to Tommy's session work with "Highway 101" when I mentioned his move out to California in the 1980's and then his subsequent move here to Nashville. Tommy's work on those Highway 101 records was a big part of the signature sound of that band IMHO. Tommy's playing has always been very understated and right on the money in my book. I especially liked his work on the George Jones "The Bradley's Barn Sessions." Tommy was almost always playing a Sho Bud in the past but more recently I've seen him using a GFI and the last picture I saw of Tommy was at last summer's Willie Nelson's 4th of July Picnic where he was back to playing an old Fender 400.

JP
Ted Smouse

Austin, Texas USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2011 10:30 am    

I saw Tommy playing with Rodney Crowell last night in Austin, TX at the new ACL Live at the Moody Theater, full band show. He was playing a Fender -8 pedal, with the outer finish removed from the guitar, revealing the metal frame. (Doesn't the Fender 400 only have 4 pedals?). He played great, Jed Hughes was the lead guitarist. I did not get the names of the bassist or drummer.

Ted
Austin, Texas
SteelRadio.org@gmail.com
https://www.steelradio.org

-a 501(c)(3) “Not For Profit” Organization
Jay Hudson

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2011 11:41 am    

I believe Tommy is playing Sneaky Pete's Fender.
His wife and him also run a food trailer on South Congress in Austin not far from the Continental Club.
Ted Smouse

Austin, Texas USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2011 11:43 am    

Jay, very interesting note about the guitar. They mentioned the food trailer last night during the show, I think menu is Thai food. It was a fine show, Tommy played some real cool stuff. I was glad I was there.

Ted
Austin, Texas
SteelRadio.org@gmail.com
https://www.steelradio.org

-a 501(c)(3) “Not For Profit” Organization
Randall Palmore

Albany,TX USA 76430
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2011 7:20 pm    

Bought my first D10 from Tommy, I think in 1981. I believe it was 1973 Sho-Bud Professional(beautiful red guitar). I think Tommy told me he purchased the guitar new in Hollywood, CA in 1973. I always wondered who all that guitar was on stage with. I do remember that he replaced it with a new black Super Pro. I saw that guitar on television quite a few times. I was fortunate to work several jobs with Tommy a little before that time, as aspired to be a frontman and vocalist. He kind of encouraged me to take up steel guitar. He was and is a super player! RP
Earl Briggs

Lancaster tx
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2011 6:49 am    

I remember Tommy very well.Around 1971 he was playing a howard pedal steel.they were built in grand praire.tx he came by all the time.at the music store were they built.about this same time.he recorded an album under the howard label.very good record I might add... still have it.soon after that he went to work for Tommy cash..that is about the last time i talked to him..... anybody out there remember those howard guitars...................