| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Open letter to Bobbe Seymour
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2011 11:16 am    

Bobbe, you know that I have a tremendous amount of respect and admiration for you. You have always been 100% honest with me in our business dealings, and I have no problem doing business with you again.

I also admire your musicianship. You are a great player.

But I have a problem with your referring to the MSA Millennium in your latest newsletter as "Tupperware."

You have the right to say that you don't like they way they sound, but if you should refer to the carbon fiber as carbon fiber. Calling it Tupperware not only is disrespectful to Reece and Kyle and Johnny Cox and all those who play Millenniums (like me,) but also makes you look small and petty.

You are better than that.
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2011 11:41 am    

Mike, I'm sorry to hear that you're having problems with your Tupperware. It you call Customer Service, Tupperware will probably replace it under your Lifetime Warranty.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2011 12:39 pm    

i'd like to thank bobbe for his great sense of humor. it keeps the community from getting too stiff.

i think the tupperware is just as nice as the previous genuine authentic simulated reconstituted wood like material covered with a kitchen countertop that some steels have previousy used.
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2011 12:51 pm    

Personally, I always preferred the mother-of-toilet-seat covering. Whoa!
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2011 1:41 pm    

Does anybody remember when Bobbe had his own alternate forum, and there was a character who called him self "Ben Dover" whose entire reason for existence was to attack Reece and put down his guitars? Dover not only called the guitars Tupperware, he suggested that they were junk, and that all MSAs were pieces of garbage, and the people who payed them were all lousy players.

Does anybody remember that this person wrote that he hoped I choked to death while performing oral sex on Reece?

I didn't and still don't find that funny.
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2011 1:45 pm    

WOW!! Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Whoa!

Pretty heavy stuff. I admit that if I owned a Millenium (or other so-called "tupperware" guitar) I would also be offended by Bobbe's reference.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2011 2:39 pm    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
...if I owned a Millenium (or other so-called "tupperware" guitar) I would also be offended by Bobbe's reference.
How do you think Mr. Tupper feels?
Daniel Morris

Westlake, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2011 4:04 pm    

Geez, seriously, Mike?
I wasn't aware of that forum. I've played a 1979 MSA 12 string Universal exclusively since I bought it new, and while I prefer wood, I simply cannot fathom someone putting down all MSA steels.
I fondly recall Reece phoning me, asking how I like my (at that time) new guitar. As I recall, MSA was sort of the Cadillac of pedal steels, and if I ever had to replace my present one (God forbid!), I'd look to MSA once again; Reece said I can still get wood, if I want it.
2011 Bear Creek MK Weissenborn
Milkman 40W Mini amp w/Telonics 15" speaker.
Dr. Z Surgical Steel w/TT 15" speaker.
Frenzel MB-50 head.
Spaceman, Empress, Eventide, Pigtronix.

Last edited by Daniel Morris on 30 Aug 2011 5:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Dickie Whitley

Post  Posted 29 Aug 2011 4:39 pm    

I have a great deal of respect for Mike and Bobbe. Mike taught me to read sheet music with a phone call, that I will never forget. But in fairness to both, the Constitution of this country does not guarantee that you won't be offended by something, and offers no method of recompense if you are. A lot of people have said things I don't like in my over half-century on this planet. But to speak their opinions is a right (whether I like it or not) all people in this country have. Just like Bobbe stated his disdain, Mike has stated his objection. Let's leave it at that.
Daniel Morris

Westlake, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2011 4:44 pm    

True, true, Dickie.
I guess I feel that it's such a pity that there's so much infighting within the steel guitar world (or Forum, at least), and it's a small world to begin with.
There's room for many styles and opinions, but why the grudge matches? Pity.....
Frenzel MB-50 head.
Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2011 4:53 pm    

Context,guys...Bobbe's characterization wasn't much more than a meant-to-be-humorous aside,and was followed by some very nice things said about Reece.All of this was contained in an extremely well-written piece about Bobbe's concern that the mistreatment of Gibson might extend to other manufacturers,and perhaps even private owners.I share Bobbe's concerns;Mike's,not so much.
Daniel Morris

Westlake, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2011 5:56 pm    

Yup, I got that in the e-mail, Dave.
It's the other things Mike mentioned that didn't seem so humorous.
Frenzel MB-50 head.
Alan Tanner

Near Dayton, Ohio
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2011 5:57 pm    

...amazing....
Elton Smith

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2011 7:30 pm    

Mike I would like to read this as I own two Msa's.This may be a misunderstanding.Carbon fiber is the strongest lightest toughest material on the planet.They use it in spacecraft and aircraft.Passenger jet engines have a carbon fiber bag around them to catch a blade should it break off the turbine. http://www.howstuffworks.com/fuel-efficiency/fuel-economy/carbon-fiber-oil-crisis1.htm
Fender Telecaster
MSA S10 Classic
ShoBud
Old Peavy Amps

Last edited by Elton Smith on 29 Aug 2011 8:18 pm; edited 8 times in total
Jim Hollingsworth

Way out West
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2011 7:31 pm     oooopsy!

I was surprised when I read the email.... but I spose we all "oooopsy" from time to time. Personally I was interested in the Millennium as an alternative to maple - especially the light weight! Too bad it became so cost prohibitive!

By the way Mike - how does it sound? Honestly, since I've never heard one in person - how does it compare to a maple or mica axe??

Jim
Jim Hollingsworth

Way out West
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2011 7:32 pm    

But I will also add that Bobbe is definitely a fine player and is entitled to his opinion.

Jim
Paul Warnik

Illinois,USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2011 8:37 pm    

Mike P-Lighten Up-I OWN a carbon fiber Milly M2 and DON'T feel offended by Bobbe's verbage-Over the years of our dealings I've learned how to take him. We've had issues between us in the past and I feel we mended fences years ago-The man is not in good health and not even well enough to attend his own induction into the H.O.F., Which I KNOW means alot to him because HE told me himself (when we were in St. Louis) that he would NEVER be inducted to the H.O.F. (Good things can happen to those who wait)
If you read Bobbe's latest e-mail news it is plain that he is in effect of the recent crack-down by the government on the wood importation issue. I believe that is the root of his sarcasm. Let it roll like the proverbial "water off a duck's back" and YOU will be the bigger man for it.

Last edited by Paul Warnik on 29 Aug 2011 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2011 8:39 pm    

Mike don't forget to 'burp' it when you close the case !
Very Happy
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Paul Warnik

Illinois,USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2011 8:49 pm    

Paddy Long wrote:
Mike don't forget to 'burp' it when you close the case !
Very Happy

Laughing A man with a sense of humor! Laughing
Paul Warnik

Illinois,USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2011 12:23 am    

Mike Perlowin wrote:
Does anybody remember that this person wrote that he hoped I choked to death while performing oral sex on Reece?

I didn't and still don't find that funny.

Mike-That's something that I CAN understand you being quite rattled by Shocked
David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2011 12:33 am    

Mike,
You off your meds again?? or just bad pot?? I told you not to mix the two and then get on a computer.. Laughing

I well remember the "Dover" thing, and all the B.S. he said...long time ago, you need to let go mike... Winking you need to move on///
As far as Tupperware and thinking Carbon fiber are one of the same , well, one needs to pull his or her head out of there ass.. Whoa!

Now, lets move this to

Jim Hollingsworth.... As far as the sound goes on A Milly, it's as good as the guy playing it...I've played 3 Millys, loved them all. Very Happy
Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2011 12:36 am    

Mike, lighten up on this one brother. I read that newsletter and Bobbe made it clear he was joking when he made the reference to Tupperware. We all know Bobbe's sense of humor I think.....
CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2011 1:05 am    

don't let it bend you out of shape Sir Perlamunde
it's Bobster's renown humor

Last edited by CrowBear Schmitt on 30 Aug 2011 6:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2011 2:03 am     Re: oooopsy!

Jim Hollingsworth wrote:
how does it sound? Honestly, since I've never heard one in person - how does it compare to a maple or mica axe??

Jim, the maple guitar shown in my avatar (which I no longer own) has a richer, warmer tone that the Milly, but the Milly has better string separation and every note rings out clearer and more distinctly.

Some people prefer the sound of a wood guitar. Jr. Knight and Pee Wee Whitewing both sold their Millys because they could not get their signature sounds out of them. I can't get the same sound out of mine that I got from my green guitar. I just accept that my new guitar doesn't sound like my old one. So what? It still sounds good.

Bobbe is certainly entitled to his opinion, and he is entitled to make his opinions known. My opinion is that he should have done that without resorting to a snide comment.

I was unaware that he is ill, and I hope he recovers soon.
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2011 3:26 am    

Before b0b locks this one down, I will say this. Maurice and Bobbe put this issue to bed quite a while ago thankfully, and while they were at it they renewed a friendship that goes back over many, many years.

Both guys are very good friends of mine, and I will say this Mike - you don't get Bobbe's humour at all. If he refers to any material as Tupperware it is said with his tongue firmly in his cheek.

Re Bobbe's old forum - yes it did get a bit OTT at times, and that's why Bobbe closed it down after receiving a complaint about it. Having said that, it did contain threads that were very irreverent and humourous, and sometimes we need a bit of that to take away the seriousness in our lives.

As one of the previous posters has said - 'lighten up'. Just love Bobbe for what he is.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Last edited by Ken Byng on 30 Aug 2011 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total