| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Success in Saluda!!
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2006 4:11 pm    

MAN, was this a good 'un! Ron Elliot did a super job, a lot of guys are now better players after Chuck Lettes' seminar, and I'm scared to death after hearing Woody, Johnny, and Jack play guitars. Roger, Joe Turner, Bill, Bill, and a few others couldn't be with us this time, but we had a GREAT time anyway, and the jam Sunday, AFTER the show, was something. I feel sorry for anyone who left early. Having Rick Campbell in the band with that fiddle was smokin'! Just a good time with friends and family, raising some money for the kids in the Shrine Hospitals.
And I need to say, SPECIAL thanks need to go to Jerry Reese and the rest of the family. I get WAY too much credit for the little bit of stuff I do, while Jerry, his wife, and Charles and Mom do the work, sending cards, contacting musicians, working on the P.A., playing, singing, sewing...
So give 'em a cheer, folks. And don't forget about November, when Russ and Laney Hicks will be our special guests. Start making plans now.
Thanks again, and may God bless!
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2006 5:03 pm    

Steve, I agree with you about yesterday's show. What a great show it was! There was something there that I wasn't expecting yet, but when it came, I was really surprised! We also had a great crowd too and great steel players and musicians! So, steelers, get ready for the next Saluda show in November with Russ & Laney! Brett, Emmons S-10, Morrell lapsteel, GFI Ultra D-10-Redgold Beauty

[This message was edited by Brett Day on 21 August 2006 at 06:04 PM.]

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2006 6:55 pm    

Yes, I enjoyed the show very much. So many great players and what a good bunch of guys. I wish I could have stayed longer. I think I was able to steal several nice steel licks. Rob Parker introduced me to a Jimmy Dickens ballad that I think I'll record this winter. I'm addicted to that kind of stuff. Thanks to everyone for putting up with me! I'll be back for sure.

Jim Hartley - You owe me the airplane story. I'll catch you next time.

------------------
Emmons Lashley Legrande D-10 8/4, Mullen D-10 8/4,Nashville 400, Profex II, Bunches of fiddles,guitars,etc....

racmusic.tripod.com

Donna Dodd

Acworth, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2006 2:03 am    

Great show!! Thanks to the Reece family and all who make it possible four times a year.
Steve Gambrell works hard on this show as well. We got to hear him sing in the "After-Show" - and, as usual, he delivered some wisdom from THE GOOD BOOK, and prayer for those in need.

Thanks Steve!

More photos from the show later today!

[This message was edited by Donna Dodd on 22 August 2006 at 03:12 AM.]

Bob Strum

Anniston Alabama
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2006 3:11 am    

Sometimes you wonder if the next show in Saluda can match the past. But, I'm amazed that each new adventure brings out more fun and more talent than imagined. Thanks Charles, Stephen and the wonderful house band. Great memories.
Bob
Ron Elliott

Madison, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2006 4:11 am    

Our many thanks to Charles, Steve, great musicians,the show staff, the kitchen staff,and all the great guys from all over that played and sang. Our appreciation goes especially to a wonderful audience that enjoyed everything that was offered. We enjoyed everyone there. That always makes it easy to relax and and just have fun. Thanks again to Charles Reese and Steve for everything.We'd sure like to come again. Ron & Leslie Elliott
Chuck S. Lettes

Denver, Colorado
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2006 8:05 am    

Let me add to the above comments about the Saluda show. I also had a wonderful time, and especially enjoyed the Southern hospitality. There were many high points this year. It was great to hang out with some of the nice folks, like Wayne W, Marvin B, Ray C and Dean N. I enjoyed the jam session on Saturday night. Y'all have some great local players. I really enjoyed listening to all of them, especially Bill Ford on the MSA-great tone. I also enjoyed getting to pick with Larry Moore and Ron Elliot-what smooth players. Sunday's session was also fine, especially getting to perform for a full house. I enjoyed getting to hear Jack Burnside's first performance at the Saluda show and watching Tommy Dodd and Brett Day perform. Having a wonderful backup band was a real plus for me as I got to play all of the songs that I wanted to perform. Thanks especially to Wayne Smith who postponed lunch so he could be a part of my set. I really enjoyed presenting my E9th seminar. It is wonderful to see such an interest in the steel guitar, at all levels. Thanks to Steve Gambrell (great moment of prayer, by the way!), Charlie and Jerry Reese for the inivitation to perform. Also a thanks to Jack and Charlene Burnside for hosting me. Like Ron mentioned, I look forward to visiting Saluda again.
Chuck

[This message was edited by Chuck S. Lettes on 22 August 2006 at 05:08 PM.]

Rob Parker

Paducah, Kentucky, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2006 2:02 pm    

Double amen to the above comments..Such a great time, and a great show...All the artists did a fine job, but mainly, the audience loved it..and they are the ones we try to please..
Without their support, we pickers and grinners would just be "playing for the band"..That is what the great Merle Haggard sings...
My thanks for the support of all who came, picked, sang, or just sat back and enjoyed...
Kudos to all the club, and staff, and volunteers, and all who helped to make this show a memorable event....Charles, you, and all your crew got another 'feather ' in your hat..Pretty soon you won't even have to walk up to the stage..you can just 'fly' up there..
Thank you for inviting this West Kentucky Hillbilly to the main event...I had a large time..looking forward to next time....and many thanks to my "candy store" of pickers for lettin me set in....

RP...'come on in'

[This message was edited by ROB PARKER on 22 August 2006 at 06:31 PM.]

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2006 6:41 pm    

Rob Parker - Do you have I Leaned Over Backwards recorded? Please email me.

------------------
Emmons Lashley Legrande D-10 8/4, Mullen D-10 8/4,Nashville 400, Profex II, Bunches of fiddles,guitars,etc....

racmusic.tripod.com

Laney Hicks

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2006 6:59 am    

Sounds like everybody had a really great time! It's true that there's no friendlier place in the world than Saluda, South Carolina. It's the deep south and I guess I'm just partial to that! But, I sure am looking forward to November. It's been awhile since I've been able to come to this show with Russ, and with any luck at all, this year I'll be there with bells on! I remember some of the finest players anywhere who frequent your stage throughout the whole show!
And, I'm looking forward to hugging Stephen Gambrell's neck for giving Russ a hard time whenever he can. (It takes a great friend to be able to do that, and you certainly are that to everyone, Steve)

Love to all,
Laney
Bill Plemmons

Simpsonville, SC
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2006 8:48 am    

This was a great show. Those that didn't make it will never know what they missed. It was a real treat having Rick Campbell on fiddle, outstanding touch and tone. I found out he also plays steel, banjo, guitar, mandolin, and just about anything else with strings or pedals. Hope he makes Saluda a habit. Looking forward to seeing Laney and Russ in Nov. Should be another great one.
Larry Moore

Hampton, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2006 10:28 am    

Yes a good time was had by all.
One of the best run shows with some of the best players in the country.
The backup band can keep up with the best of the best.
I will be glad when Russ gets down here to where he can take some of the load off me from Steve. You have to love him a little he don't get out much.
The show after the steel show was great.
They turned the Guitar players aloose for about 30mins.
Woody, Johnny and Jack just showed out.
Tommy came up to join them on David Hall's steel and got the shock of the afternoon.
It was a DAY setup,but he did good for a old man
Don't miss the next one
See Ya
Larry
Jim Meiring

Highlands, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2006 3:01 pm    

thanks to all who helped put on a great show. I had a great time and will be back again.
Donna Dodd

Acworth, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2006 1:29 am    

. . . and how about Brett singing I'm Workin' on my next Broken Heart!!!

. . . and how about surprise guest guitar player, Jack Mollete???

. . . and how about Bill Ferguson's new granddaughter? (oops, wrong thread!)

. . . and how about I post some pictures tonight after I get home from work?

OK, I think I will!!
Donna Dodd

Acworth, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2006 8:14 am    

oops - will fix photos later - sorry.

[This message was edited by Donna Dodd on 25 August 2006 at 09:22 AM.]

Donna Dodd

Acworth, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2006 12:42 pm    

Chuck Lettes

[This message was edited by Donna Dodd on 25 August 2006 at 01:43 PM.]

Donna Dodd

Acworth, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2006 12:45 pm    

Donna Dodd

Acworth, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2006 12:49 pm    

THAT'S ALL FOLKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2006 2:47 pm    

Thanks for the great pictures, Donna. EVERY show at Saluda is special, because of folks like the Dodds, Brett, the band, and Charles and them---But this one felt REAL good!!!
It's truly amazing, that there's 20-something Shriners' hospitals, and that we get to do a little something to help out, when, truth be told, they're helping US, by giving us an excuse to get together, pick on each other, and make some INCREDIBLE music. It's all about love---the love that we have for the music, the kids, and each other---just as we were commanded!
And I gotta say a word about my pal, Larry Moore. Larry had a mishap at home, broke a couple of ribs, and STILL came up and played a great set. If y'all see Larry, tell him, "Steve says 'HELLO,'" and Larry, I love ya, dude!
Now, all you folks are gonna light out for St. Louis next week. I pray that y'all have a safe trip out and back! And would somebody, anybody, PLEASE tell Buddy, "Steve Gambrell says 'hello!'"
God bless y'all!!!
Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2006 12:57 pm    

Ruth and I had a blast. Thanks again for having us up this year. Myabe next time I will dust of the old Tele and we can pick a few, Steve!

It was great seeing all the superb talent at the show. I considered burning my Tele after hearing those three guys picking!!

Tommy Dodd just blew us away with his talent, energy and superb legs! What a guy!

Chuck Lettes, what can I say? He was jusr awesome as usual. I enjoyed getting some time to talk with him one on one, too. Another superb musician for sure.

And of course, Jim is my all time favorite drummer. The man defines how drums ought to be played.

Again, thanks for a great show!!!

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2006 1:18 pm    

Ken Fox,

Has Ruth ever heard of a tune called "Bells Of Avalon"?

------------------

racmusic.tripod.com

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2006 8:16 pm    

Donna, those pictures are amazing-thank you! I was really amazed by the pictures of every steel player, and I love the ones you got of "Redgold Beauty" and my mom & dad, and Tommy. It was definitely a great show, and thanks for the comment, Steve. The Saluda show is definitely a wonderful show and I'm proud to be a part of it! Donna, I also love the pictures of "Redgold Beauty" up close. Brett, Emmons S-10, Morrell lapsteel, GFI Ultra D-10-"Redgold Beauty"

[This message was edited by Brett Day on 26 August 2006 at 09:18 PM.]

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Jim Hartley

SC/TN
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2006 7:06 pm    

Hey guys and gals,

As always, Saluda was alot of fun, friends, and great music. Thanks so much Stephen, Charles, Jerry and so many others who work so hard to make it so.

Ken, thanks so much for the kind words.

See ya'll soon.
Jim
Wayne F. Smith

Bethlehem, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2006 1:43 pm    

Donna, thanks for the pictures. I also really enjoyed the jam after the Sunday show. That was a great session. Jack Mollete really showed his stuff along with the other great guitar pickers.
Tommy Dodd

Acworth, Ga., USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2006 7:44 pm    

Well, I guess I'm going to have to take my medicine. I know I made a complete a$$ of myself sittin' in on David Hall's Emmons but I was inspired by the great after-show jam that I couldn't stop myself. However, if I'd known in advance that David's guitar was a complete Day setup, I would have asked somebody to hold me down to prevent my embarassing moments that followed. Thank goodness the bulk of the crowd had left and only some die-hard jammers were left.

Thanks again to David for letting me sit in on his beautiful Emmons (great sounding guitar BTW, especially when David's driving it!). And thanks to Jack Mollete, Woody Ledford, Johnny Thomas, Jim Harley, and Wayne Smith for letting me be a part of a "funnest" jam I've been in for a long time. I look forward to the next time. (But with my own guitar under my hands, thank you.)

tommyd