| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bobby Flores - direct from Blanco County
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2006 1:35 pm    

I just got a CD in the mail and I think mi amigo Bobby has done it again, with what might be his best CD effort yet, direct from Blanco County.

Shuffles, ballads, and waltzes, , plus some western swing featuring the usual Hill Country Monsters: the Loessbergs, Reinhard, Price, Detamore, Schattenburg, Biller, Wolfe, Knuth, and Bobby (playing a little of everything).

I will say that Jake Hooker on upright bass and Jim Loessberg on drums are an outstanding rhythm section. Randy is the predominant steel player and is once again eye-opening and exceptional in both traditional solos when called for, and adventuresome solos as well.

If you like drinking out of the mid-60's Texas Price/Bush/Wills wellspring, this album is a must get. I'm not going to go into detail over what songs and who plays what on here, other than to say that steel guitarists will definitely not be disappointed in this one.

Go to Yellow Rose Records for a musical treat.

PS: Thanks, RF

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

[This message was edited by Herb Steiner on 16 August 2006 at 02:36 PM.]

Roger Kelly

Bristol,Tennessee
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2006 4:01 pm    

Herb, you are so right about that CD of Bobby's. I might mention that you played steel on "I'll Find A Way ( To Free Myself)"
cut from Bobby's "Just For The Record" CD and did a superb job as usual.
Bobby Flores probably employs more steel players on his sessions than anyone I know of. There are usually 4 or 5 different great steel players on each of Bobby's Cd's that I have bought.
If any of you guys want to hear Country Music at it's best.......get ALL of Bobby's Cd's. I play them all the time, especially while out on the road.
Charles Curtis

Post  Posted 16 Aug 2006 4:10 pm    

I like all the CDs at this site, and at the moment I have Bobby's CD "Just For The Record" in my car CD player. I would also like to mention another that I've gotten around to, Christine Mims CD; and if I remember correctly Randy Reinhard does the honors on this one, some on each neck, I believe, that will blow your mind, IMO. Makes me wish I was down there at a table in front, just listening and watching.
Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2006 8:35 pm    

So why is Herb smiling so? It's because he just nailed "I'll Find A Way ( To Free Myself)" on the first take!!!

------------------
Tommy Detamore

www.cherryridgestudio.com

Mike Gross

Manchester, Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2006 2:36 am    

Herb,

You are so right on this wonderful CD that my listeners love. I have a review of it that I wrote in the review section of my "Swingin' West" web site. www.swinginwest.com

------------------
Mike
Skip T

Lubbock , Tx. U S A
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2006 5:50 am    

Herb, Will Bobby be at the S L show ? Thanks - - Skip
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2006 6:01 am    

Herb, you're right, this is a great CD. My favorite cuts are "Burning a Hole in my Mind" and "Shoes of a Fool"........Great stuff with a cool Texas sound....JH in Va.

------------------
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!

Russ Rickmann

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2006 6:06 am    

You are so right Herb! Bobby coupled with the likes of Detamore, Price, & Reinhard on steel along with all of the other fine musicians sure makes for an absolutely great CD.

I think Bobby is singing with more emotion than on his previous CDs and he sang his heart out on those. A must have for sure! Great job Bobby and team. Russ
Danny Hullihen

Harrison, Michigan
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2006 9:12 am    

Everything Bobby Flores does has always been a big hit with me, and the musicians he uses on his recordings have the best tone and style of anything I've ever heard! I hope he keeps recording forever! Bobby's music and talents is the kind of stuff that I just never get tired of listening to.
Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2006 4:46 pm    

I have a copy of Bobby's new CD, "Direct from Blanco County". This is my kind of music. My advise is to buy all of Bobby Flores CDs and Jake Hooker's CDs and quit listening to the crap on the radio.
Charles Curtis

Post  Posted 18 Aug 2006 3:27 am    

Sometimes I turn on the radio, but I always hit the CD button and listen to Bobby's recordings. Another thing I do is recommend these CDs at their web-site to anyone I meet who has a remote interest in country music. I betcha that if enough of us do that the word will eventually get out. To me it's a way of helping talented musicians entertain the public.
Bobby Flores

Blanco, Texas, U.S.A. (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2006 11:03 am    

Thank you Herb! I really appreciate that a bunch.

Who is that handsome devil sitting' at the Emmons in the pic? Hey man, that was the coolest thing, nailing that on the first whack. I don't think I've seen that happen before or since.

I have to agree, Jim Loessberg and Jake Hooker are quite the rhy. section pair. They both play their tails off and I gotta have 'em! I bring them in on just about every album I produce and always happy to have them on the sessions. They are the Hosses.

I'm so proud of all the players and the great job they did on this album.

I want to make it to St. Louis at least for a day. That's such a great event and I enjoyed it so much last year. I'd like to never miss one of those. Nothing like it in the world and it's so cool to hear so many great players! I'll be playing Pearl's in Ft. Worth that Saturday but am seriously gonna try and make it out there before or after that gig.

Many thanks to all you guys for your support! You're the Best!!

Your Friend,
Bobby

P.S. Check out the new band web site that Tommy Detamore did for us: www.bobbyfloresband.com

[This message was edited by Bobby Flores on 20 August 2006 at 12:07 PM.]

Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2006 2:30 pm    

I purchased this CD a while back. One of the best I've ever listened to. This is what country music and steel guitars are all about. On a 1 to 10 scale, it's an 11!
Charles Curtis

Post  Posted 20 Aug 2006 4:03 pm    

You can go to the web-site, www.bobbyfloresband.com, click on "photo op", look to the left and click on, "listen to music", if you like.
John Coffman

Wharton,Texas USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2006 3:31 am    

Thanks Bobby and Herb this some great music and I like the way it was mixed. Lot's of steel and lots of voicals. Worth every penny. Thanks.

------------------
Thomas SD10 3/4,Thomas D10 8/5 and Desert Rose S10 3/4. Beginner

Craig Mckinnon

Inverness, Highland, Scotland
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2006 1:15 pm    

I received this CD today & it is absolutely superb from start to finish.Great choice of songs. There is some great traditional country music coming out of Texas at the moment.
Colby Tipton

Crosby, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2006 2:28 pm    

I like Bobby, it is just like Ray Price. Bad to the bone.
Bobby Caldwell

St. Louis, Missouri, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2006 8:43 am    

Well I just got my copy of "Direct From Blanco County" and let me tell you it is wonderful. My kind of stuff indeed. Bobby Flores and company sure know how to get to you with their music. Great job by all involved. If you think the kind of music you like is dead, think again, it's alive and doing very well in Blanco County. Bobby
Jelle Biel

the netherlands
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2006 11:41 am    

Sorry guys i did'nt see this,,,
agree

http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum15/HTML/012965.html
Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2020 2:09 pm    

This needs to be at the top again... Just listening to this on Spotify... Bobby Flores sure knows a Shuffle and surrounds himself with some of the finest Steel Guitarist you'd find anywhere.
*2021 Rittenberry, "The Concord" D10 9x9
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com
Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2020 12:19 pm     This is a great CD!

No exaggerations in what’s already been posted - one of the greatest shuffle collections I’ve heard in a long time. Had to order a couple more for Christmas gifts! Great job all!!
Two Spector 5 string basses, Martin D-18, Taylor 812CE, 1996’Epiphone Sheraton, 1944 Epiphone Zenith, a killer Luttrell 6 string resophonic, 1932 Model 56 Dobro, Beard Model E, Martin Soprano Uke, 10 string 1953 Alkire Eharp, Peavey Nashville 112, Fender Bassman, Fender 75 watt Rumble, and a Fender 100 watt Rumble.
Neil Lang

Albert Lea, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2020 8:13 am    

I manage the Marion Ross theatre here in Albert Lea. August 22 (my birthday)of 2019 I flew Bobby to town for a Sold Out performance. Bobby is FANTASTIC! A true gentleman inside and out! Not to mention his musical talent instrumentally and vocally!!! Completely AWESOME!! It was an honor for me, Barb & the band to back him! What a Birthday present that was!!! Here are a couple pictures of that wonderful three days with Bobby!!

All his recordings are top notch, they will not disappoint any Tru-Country Music Lover!!!!
We Love you up here Bobby!!!!
Neil