| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  string 6 lower won't stay
Terry Sneed

Arkansas,
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2011 4:39 pm    

Hey fellow forumites, I have a question especially for you Sho-bud players. I have a 73 sho-bud with two hole pullers, and barrels. I have a 22 wound on the 6th string. I had trouble getting it to lower all the way from F# to G#, but I finally got it. But, it has since raised itslf a little. When I engage my RKL it won't lower all the way down anymore. Got any ideas on what I might do to get it lowered down where it will stay? The 6th string allen head (tuner) at the changer seems extra easy to turn. I'm wondering if it's backin itself off, or maybe the puller is slippin on the shaft? This is my first Sho-bud with the two hole puller system and I ain't got these adjustments figured out yet. Thanks
Terry
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2011 7:54 am    

most steels have trouble lowering a wound 6th string a whole step. most people use a plain 20 or 22 i guess. i use a 20. back when i had a sho-bud i remember filing a little notch in the finger at a certain point to help allow the longer action. maybe someone can elaborate on that.
Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2011 8:38 am    

Terry, if you put a .022 plain string on it you will be able to lower a whole tone with ease.
Jerry
Terry Sneed

Arkansas,
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2011 3:55 pm     6th lower

Chris and Jerry, I had a 22 plain on it and was having trouble getting it to lower all the way, and a fellow forumite told me to put a 22 wound instead of the 22 plain and it would lower. I'll put a 22 plain back on it and see if I can get it lowered. I'm learning a little more about adjusting these 2 hole puller systems, so I'll try it again with a 22 plain. Thanks guys.
Terry
Jamie Lennon

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2011 5:02 pm    

Use a 20p

www.georgettejones.net
Terry Sneed

Arkansas,
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2011 5:19 pm     6th lower

Appreciate the help guys. I put a 22 plain back on, and with a little adjusting it lowers just right now.
Jamie, I used a 20 plain on my Mullen, Zum, and my Emmons to I think. But I just like a 22 on my old Shobuds. Thanks again guys
Terry