| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  removed
Earl Knapp Jr

Humansville,Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2011 10:21 am    

Removed because of hate mail !

Last edited by Earl Knapp Jr on 12 Aug 2011 12:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2011 10:41 am    

My feeling is that it'd probably be the same either way moneywise,but there's something to be said in terms of good stewardship for getting it playable........But then again if it WERE playable you might decide to play it some Very Happy
Earl Knapp Jr

Post  Posted 3 Aug 2011 10:58 am     Removed!

removed !

Last edited by Earl Knapp Jr on 12 Aug 2011 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Todd Brown

W. Columbia , South Carolina
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2011 1:17 pm    

In that condition , I say $500 tops! If it were finished and playable, $1,000-$1,300. JMHO

BTW, don't get to excited looking at the Buy IT Now prices on ebay! It doesn't mean someone will pay that! There's been a sweet D-8 Fender 1000 on there with a BIN price of $3,000 for months, but it ain't going nowhere at that price!
Earl Knapp Jr

Post  Posted 3 Aug 2011 1:24 pm    

removed

www.NewSpurBand.com

Last edited by Earl Knapp Jr on 12 Aug 2011 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2011 2:22 pm    

It looks like a Fender 400 not an 800. I believe the 800's were 10 string. This one has 8.
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2011 2:59 pm    

Since you asked ...

Kevin is correct - that is a Fender 400, not a Fender 800. Look at the tuning pan in the bag - there are 8 tuners, and thus 8 strings.

Other things I noticed:

- The colors on the body and pedal board don't match - the body is the very light and whiter blond, the pedal board is much more yellowed. Was the body refinished?

- That pickguard doesn't look right to me - the ones I've seen look like this: Click Here.

- Then there's the issue of the condition of the cable undercarriage - it may be hard to evaluate without being set up.

All this tends to affect the value of any Fender guitar. I see really nice Fender 400's for $500-800 routinely. Forget about BIN prices on ebay, that's pure phishing (IMHO).

I don't think this is that big a project to get back together, but I would tend to be surprised if it paid you to have a good mechanic do it. It might be a fun, inexpensive project for someone.

But, as is not unusual for 'project' Fender guitars these days - it might be worth more in parts than as a complete guitar. Sad but often true.

My take.
Earl Knapp Jr

Post  Posted 3 Aug 2011 5:09 pm    

removed !

www.NewSpurBand.com

Last edited by Earl Knapp Jr on 12 Aug 2011 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Earl Knapp Jr

Post  Posted 4 Aug 2011 2:01 pm    

removed !

www.NewSpurBand.com

Last edited by Earl Knapp Jr on 12 Aug 2011 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chris Lucker

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2011 7:52 am    

Well, the steel arrived, and it is already in the trash.

I told jim to pad the inside so nothing would rattle.

The legs were shipped loose with the bags of parts that came with the guitar and in shipping the legs destroyed the pickup, some of the tuning pegs, two of the changer fingers. The cables and pulleys may be okay, I do not know, because they are not with the guitar.

I kept the pedals and rods and knobs threw the rest in the dumpster.

By the way, the seller blames me for how the guitar arrived.

Some amazing people in this world. Here is what he said.

"I packed it the way you told me to. I wrapped the case in cardboard and plastic. You never did tell me to pad the INSIDE. The FED EX guy was real careful of it and told me he would put Fragile stickers on it back at his shop. He knew what it was and said he would be very careful with it . Then it went right on a plane so I can't imagine that much damage. I saw all the bags of parts and as I said , I am no steel expert and my brother took it apart and said it was all there. He is a Methodist Pastor so I don't expect we would have any reason to lie to me. And second , you don't have to talk to me like an idiot sir as I am not."

I guess he does not know that the Fed Ex guy that comes to your house does not travel across the country with the package in his lap.

He is also unhappy the guitar is in the trash. I was supposed to restore it so his father's precious guitar could live on. You would think that if the guitar was so treasured, he would have put some thought into packing it?

Everyone who hesitated in buying this guitar from this man wins.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2011 8:19 am    

sad story chris..sorry to hear that.
mike nolan

Forest Hills, NY USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2011 8:41 am    

There seem to be more of these guys showing up.... they join the Forum and list something for sale the same day..... then they disappear. I avoid them as sellers and as trolls in the Wanted to Buy section. Sorry that this happened Chris.
CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2011 8:47 am    

I too am sorry to hear about your "deal" Chris
anyone w: any common sense(RIP) would know that packing & padding things inside a case is an absolute necessity
so much for the cherished "dad's guitar"......Rolling Eyes

"they walk among us ! "
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2011 9:16 am    

Mike is right. There are short term people who join the Forum to sell stuff then disapear. Be careful out there. Too bad Chris.
Todd Brown

W. Columbia , South Carolina
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2011 11:12 am    

Damn, I think this guy is trying to sell an amp on here, too!! Sorry that happened to you Chris Sad
Earl Knapp Jr

Post  Posted 12 Aug 2011 11:49 am    

This guy got the guitar at a reasonable price and I told him from the start I was no expert on these ! What he is not telling everyone is that before we even talked about a deal is that he emailed me and cut the guitar down about three times and told me how stupid I was and that I would never sell it. Plus , the parts were all in plastic bags and packed in there pretty tight. I also put cardboard dunnage and foam blocks in to ease the shock on the case and guitar. There is no way all the damage he said was done was true. Also , I am NOT some fly by night just here to sell stuff. A lot of the area steel players know me and have played with me and know I am not the type of person to cheat someone. I try to live a good life and be kind to people and that my friends can attest to. On top of that this guy belittled me for being a Christian ! He said I used the word Christian just to cheat him ! And put down my brother for being a Methodist pastor. Said he was probably a bigger criminal than I was !!! I got on here so I could stay in touch with my friends that I don't see that often , NOT to sell stuff. I just had a couple of pieces that were sitting around and thought I could make a little money to help out on our bills . I will definitely take my amp and my other stuff of the forum right now if this is how it goes and you get publicly ridiculed for something someone took offense to. Also I think I will with draw my membership from here. The guitar was highly re-buildable too, It was played by my brother not more than two years ago before he took it apart. I also saw on at a convention the other day that was not near as complete as mine for more money than the price I got !! So slap at me all you will. I was not the one who told the lies here !!! Good bye to all my good friends on here. I just will not be shamed like this for something I tried to do properly !!

www.NewSpurBand.com
Earl Knapp Jr

Post  Posted 12 Aug 2011 12:04 pm    

By the way , I never said the FED EX man brought it all the way !!!! What I said was the guy that picked it up at my house was very careful with it and then it went straight to the airport and was loaded on a jet and that I couldn't see the pickup getting broke or the tuners bent because the were not even close to the legs !! I told the guy the truth as I saw the guitar. Like I said , I am no expert and I am not a fool ! I tried my best to make sure it would arrive unhurt and I am pretty sure it did !! And all you others who bash me just from what this guy said and made up....shame on you when you don't even know me ! This guy sent like four emails just to belittle me and not even trying to talk civil so I'm done with him. I knew the way he treated me in the first email that I shouldn't sell to him cause he would be a pain but no, after he mailed back and wanted it I let him have it ! MY BIG MISTAKE !!

www.NewSpurBand.com
mike nolan

Forest Hills, NY USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2011 12:32 pm    

Let's see....

Chris Lucker

Earl Knapp Jr.

I don't normally post on these kind of flaps... and I wasn't there, but I've done business with Chris, and I'm sure that it went down the way he said.