| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  '' Dumb Question ''
Gary Preston

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2011 9:10 am    

Sad I need you'all help ! Confused I have a small Peavey XR600C powered P.A. mixer . It's a ''mono '' unit . Well i want to hook up a monitor system to it . I have a Carvin DCM1000 external power amp . It has 220 wt . at 8 ohms -350 wt. at 4 Ohms and 500 wt. at 2 ohms . I talked to a tech at Peavey and he told me to use the Carvin as the amp for the house speakers and use the internal amp as the monitor . He was on the phone and was talking over my simple head .Razz He knew what he was talking about but i just wasn't taking it in as fast as he was telling me . So i need help on how to hook this up . I already know this is not much of a P.A. but at this time it's what i have without spending any money ! A diagram would be very very helpful . I printed off the mixer manual but it doesn't go into what i need . I know there are a bunch of you that know your business about these things and thats why i have made this post . Thank you so much in advance . G.P. Cell # (614) 774-3109 .
Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2011 9:48 am    

First off you should start with a manual:
http://www.peavey.com/assets/literature/manuals/80300747.pdf

The front panel has 1/4" jacks for a number of patch points, including the important ones for you: Main Out, Monitor Out and Power Amp In. To use the Peavey XR unit to power monitors connect a guitar cord between the "Monitor Out" and the Power Amp In" - this will leave you with no power to the mains, so you will connect another guitar cord between the "Main Out" and the input of your Carvin.

I have not read the manual so cannot say whether the EQ is in the loop, I suspect not, so you may have to use two more guitar cords to insert the EQ in whichever path you wish it to be available, eg. to use the EQ with your monitors you would connect Monitor Out > EQ In and EQ Out > Power Amp In.
Gary Preston

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2011 10:05 am    

Thanks Dave . As you can see i did print off the manual . I appreciate your help . The Carvin has ''two inputs '' Ch 1 and Ch 2 . Do i use a ''Y '' and connect into both sides ?
David Collins

Madison, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2011 5:09 pm    

Hi Gary,

According to the Carvin website, no adapter is needed, there is a switch on the rear of the amp to bridge the two inputs together.

http://www.carvin.com/manuals/DCM1000.pdf

Good Luck
Gary Preston

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2011 6:31 pm    

Thanks David . I printed the manual off . I still need help with making a complete hook up of these two units . Thanks . G.P.
David Collins

Post  Posted 12 Aug 2011 4:03 am    

Gary,

The most simple method would be to simply use the Main, or Front Of House speakers as originally intended with the system since all you're really trying to do is add monitor capability, as I understand your question, so here goes.

Connect instrument / mic inputs as normal.

Connect Main Speakers to the jacks on the rear of the mixer.

Connect a mic / guitar cord to input number 1 on the Carvin amp, and use the bridge switch to bridge the amp.

Connect at least 1 monitor speaker to the output of each channel of the Carvin amp. Start with all controls at minimum levels and slowly raise them. The Carvin amp will be greatly overkill for stage monitors in most cases, but you can always turn it down.

This should be a sufficient set up in most small venues, and will allow you to have use of the EQ section of the Peavey mixer.

Hope that this is helpful. See Private Message for info to contact me via phone.
David Collins

Post  Posted 12 Aug 2011 4:58 am    

May want to give this a read through. Pretty good basic info on Live Sound.

http://www.sesystems.com/Assets/assetmanagerfiles/techpdfs/intro_recording-sound.pdf
Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2011 6:19 am    

I like David Collins' method,although I think he meant to say to connect a guitar/mic cable from the monitor out on your XR600-C to input 1 on your DCM-1000.
It can't be repeated often enough that you should make all your connections before powering up and the level controls on any power amp MUST be zero-ed before powering up AND before powering down.How much to turn up the power amp level? a matter of taste,although I always dime my power amps and use the board to control volume.YMMV
I also have a DCM-1000 and I've been very happy with it.
Gary Preston

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2011 7:36 am     Xr600c

Very Happy Thanks everyone for your help . I appreciate everything . I will set up the system today and see how it works . This is a little new for me . I didn't want hook things up and burn up the system . Best regards and God bless you all . G.P.
Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2011 8:31 pm    

I believe that your friend suggested using the Carvin for Mains because it is a bigger, cleaner amp than the one in the mixer, which will work very fine for monitors.
Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2011 6:51 am    

I hope you see this right away, Gary.

Gary, don't use the BRIDGE switch. What you want to use is the PARALLEL switch. It will take both Carvin input jacks and parallel them (like an adapter) and feed them to both separate speaker outputs.

In other words, run one guitar cable from the mixer's line output into either input on the Carvin amp. This will give you separate volume control over each of the two speakers using the Carvin's input level controls....which would be handy because of likely different stage placement.
Gary Preston

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2011 6:58 pm    

Thanks again , i knew i could depend on you guys . '' Now another question '' !!! How is the best and easiest way to hook up a Lexicon MPX-100 into the front of the 600C to have Lexicon Reverb etc . ? Thanks in advance . G.P.