| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anyone play PSG in a bluegrass band?
Chris Tweed

Cardiff, Wales, UK
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2011 1:47 pm    

I've been asked to play in a bluegrass/old time band to accompany some Appalachian dancers and, although I normally play dobro in another bluegrass band, I'd really like to introduce some PSG on a couple of tunes.

I've only been learning PSG a few months, but I'm confident I can play some decent steel licks on tunes like "Amanda Jewell". My concern is whether a bluegrass audience will accept the PSG as a legitimate contribution to bluegrass because it is an electric instrument.

Has anyone played steel on bluegrass tunes? If so, how was it received by the audience?

British bluegrass fans tend to be quite snooty and purist in their tastes and I don't want to experience a "Bob Dylan Newport moment" Sad

Chris
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2011 1:57 pm    

I think there's be a good chance that you'll be tarred and feathered! Very Happy
Chris Tweed

Cardiff, Wales, UK
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2011 2:04 pm    

Hmm. I guess I could have worked that out. Surprised

But Al Perkins got away with it on some tracks on Manassas (for example, Fallen Eagle). Of course, I'm no Al Perkins, and that might be the key point.
Stephen Silver

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2011 2:12 pm    

I played for several years with Wild Oats in SoCal, the great Steve Spurgin on vocals (later to be with Sundance and California with Byron Berline, Dan Crary, and John Hickman) and Duncan Cameron on guitar. We we're exactly traditional bluegrass, but did a whole lot of BG tunes as we had banjo and mandolin.

So, it's not that pedal steel doesn't work with bluegrass, it just that it makes it different, if not better.

So get your grass on and play it like you mean it!

Enjoy!

SS

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2011 11:38 pm    

When Dierks Bentley came out with his "Up On The Ridge" record, Tim Sergent played steel on the tour for the record. Dierks had Del McCoury's band as a backup band, along with Tim Sergent on dobro and steel. The live shows had a lot of steel, because Dierks would play his country hits in bluegrass style, and Tim Sergent added the steel with his Jackson Pro IV.

Brett
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2011 1:10 am    

If you can play the traditional Fiddle Reels , why not ?

1st one to post a version Fishermans Hornpipe on Steel wins !

t

PS, at screaming meter of course

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2011 2:12 am    

Hey Brett. How come you know all this cool stuff?
Ron

Notown, Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2011 2:12 am    

JD and the Osborne Brothers recorded with steel guitar. JD as recently as "Lefty's Old Guitar"
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2011 6:43 am    

Ron Pruter wrote:
Hey Brett. How come you know all this cool stuff?
Ron

I saw Dierks live last year and Tim was playin' steel for him and he had Del McCoury's band with him and the crowd loved it!

Brett
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Peter Freiberger

California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2011 7:58 am    

Check out Doug Jernigan and Hal Rugg's work with J. D. Crowe and The New South. Also JayDee Maness with Chris Hillman and Herb Pedersen on the "Way Out West" and "Desert Rose" CDs as well as Herb's "Lonesome Feeling" CD.
Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2011 8:56 am    

QUOTE: "Has anyone played steel on bluegrass tunes? If so, how was it received by the audience?"

I've done that when the blue grass band asked me to sit-in with them, and the audience seemed to enjoy it. The audience of non-players can enjoy a generic musical event without the prejudice or bias suffered by some musicians.

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2011 9:08 am     Re: Anyone play PSG in a bluegrass band?

Chris Tweed wrote:
...British bluegrass fans tend to be quite snooty and purist in their tastes and I don't want to experience a "Bob Dylan Newport moment" Sad

It would be like taking an electric guitar along to a folk club. Whoa!
Bluegrass is an all-acoustic form of music, and they don't even like percussion. Oh Well

That's quite a commute you have there, from Cardiff to Ballymoney. Winking
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2011 9:18 am    

........ricky skaggs....

vassar and doug jernigan.......

emmons.....

osborne bros. w/hal rugg......

paul f. (nervous breakdown was 'beyond' bluegrass)...

having said that, bluegrass is unamplified acoustic bass, guitar, banjo, fiddle, dobro, mandolin...
any variation, especially with amplified instruments is a bastardization of the pure form...

and though not always true to the pure form, alison krauss et al is heavenly music.
Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2011 11:00 am    

How many Bluegrassers does it take to change a lightbulb?

Eight.

One to change it and seven to whine and moan because it's electric.

The Osborne Brothers, who obviously had a pile of stature and legitimacy, took a lot of flack from the bluegrass mainstream when they incorporated drums and a steel. Most of the other examples cited got the same reaction I heard from a guy at a festival in Ohio. After what I thought was an outstanding set by the New Coon Creek Girls, he opined that "it ain't bluegrass and it ain't purty!"

Not a broad-minded community, overall.

KP
Twayn Williams

Portland, OR
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2011 11:13 am    

If the band you're playing with are not traditionalists and are fine with the huge pile of equipment and setup time for PSG and want the sound then do it!

Otherwise, stick to dobro Mr. Green

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2011 11:59 am    

I was invited to play with a group of oldtimers once.When I showed up they all put their instruments up and left.Ain't been back since.
Fender Telecaster
MSA S10 Classic
ShoBud
Old Peavy Amps
Bryan Bradfield

Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada.
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2011 12:20 pm    

My well known regional band was asked to eliminate the non-bluegrass content from our show if we were hired by a traditional bluegrass club. We declined the gig. My goal is to not misrepresent my musical style, but to play what I want to play, and face the consequences when they arise. I suppose that when a quartet consists of guitar, dobro, five string banjo, and electric bass, there are expectations that cannot always be accommodated.
Chris Tweed

Cardiff, Wales, UK
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2011 1:52 pm    

Many thanks to all. Some interesting stories and advice, which I will mull over before I decide. That's the value of this forum.

Alan: a long commute indeed, and expensive. I don't do it too often these days.

Chris
JB Arnold

Longmont,Co,USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2011 2:33 pm    

Plug in and toke up a bluegrass band and add steel?

New Riders!

At their heart an electric bluegrass band with steel instead of banjo. "She's no Angel", "Ashes of Love", "Little Old Lady", "Glendale Train", an on and on. David Nelson was in all of Garcia's early bluegrass bands when Garcia played banjo. Listen to Cage and you'll hear banjo licks aplenty.

Go for it! Shake 'em up!

JB

"All in all, looking back, I'd have to say the best advice anyone ever gave me was 'Hands Up, Don't Move!"

"Your FIRST mistake was listening to your wife instead of your steel instructor." (H.Steiner)
Steve Alcott

New York, New York, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2011 3:12 pm    

In the jazz world there's the term "moldy fig", which describes the type of jazz nerd that hasn't quite come to terms with the fact that there is improvised music that doesn't involve a banjo and a tuba. I leave it to someone else to decide what moldy fruit represents the bluegrass purists with the same sort of mindset.
Steve Alcott

New York, New York, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2011 3:18 pm    

In the jazz world there's the term "moldy fig", which describes the type of jazz nerd that hasn't quite come to terms with the fact that there is improvised music that doesn't involve a banjo and a tuba. I leave it to someone else to decide what moldy fruit represents the bluegrass purists with the same sort of mindset.
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2011 4:28 pm    

I currently play with a band that mixes quite a bit of old-time music (including frailing banjo and a National Tenor guitar) with old classic country music going back to the Carter Family, Delmore Brothers, Jimmie Rodgers, some early bluegrassers, and early honkytonk country up to about Webbb Pierce, Carl Smith, and a bit of early Bakersfield.

This is not 'purist' old-time or bluegrass at all. I play steel, some electric and acoustic guitar, and maybe some 5-string, the banjo player occasionally dons a Tele. But the electric parts are largely textural - there is no question about the acoustic roots of this band - so we don't really get much flack from acoustic nazis. In fact, I know some pretty hardcore bluegrassers that really like pedal steel - OK, not in a hardcore bluegrass band, but in a mixed context. Upright bass, minimalist drums (mostly snare/hat) sometimes, and we get good crowds. It's fun music.

I don't consider this 'bastardizing' anything at all. It's not 1935 or 1955. We occasionally play with zydeco and cajun musicians, it's all a big melting pot, as is most American music. YMMV.
Roger Kelly

Bristol,Tennessee
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2011 5:35 pm    

Chris, you might get by with using a Pedal Steel on that venue if you don't plug your steel into an Amplifier, and just use one of the many PA Mic channels that most every Blue Grass Band I have ever seen has at their disposal on stage....so that they can be heard in the back of the arena or room. You would be considered accoustical then wouldn't you? Wink
Dave A. Burley

Franklin, In. USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2011 7:10 pm     Bluegrass and Pedal Steel

Last year at the IBMA's (International Bluegrass Music Assn.) annual big doings in Nashville, David Peterson did a showcase right in the middle of the IBMA's doings. He added Paul Franklin on steel. Boy, it was amazing all the teeth gnashing, griping and cussing that went on on the Bluegrass-L and other bluegrass sites. I knew most of the gripers. The night of the showcase, guess who was sitting right up front? You got it.....the gripers. Paul Franklin and David were given a true standing ovation after the showcase. The gripers continued to gripe after the showcase but they sure enjoyed Paul on the pedal steel guitar. You talk about tunnel vision.
Dave A. Burley
P.O. Box #211
Franklin, Ind. 46131

Buddy Emmons/Jimmy Bryant live $15.00 includes shipping.
It's The First Time(studio)$15.00 includes shipping.
Curley Chalker/Julian Tharpe live $15.00 includes shipping.
the Cavalcade Of Guitars live $16.00 includes shipping.
Pay by PayPal to: dab7875159@aol.com
Harry Dove

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2011 8:01 pm    

I played steel and dobro in a bluegrass band for several years. The crowd loved it. However, my fellow band members always wanted to push more traditional bluegrass. It didn't seem to matter what the crowd liked. As a steel player you will be the one that will get tired of it first. With steel you will want to bend the harmony and put in alternate chords. With the band I was in, the perfect bluegrass song had no more then three chords and they were all major. A 7th was living on the edge and a minor was over the top. If I talked about anything beyond that they looked at me like I was speaking a foriegn language.