| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Are there any FAT pedal steel players out there?
Steve Green

Gulfport, MS, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2011 9:24 am    

I have a question that may have been addressed here before, maybe not.

At about 450 lbs, I'm really overweight. See attatched pic from a recent gig.

My doctor says I'm in great health, despite this. Blood pressure is great, cholesterol is great, blood sugar is fine, etc.

I've never touched a pedal steel in my life. I've been playing non-pedal for about 10 months, and am thinking about making the transition to pedal steel. I almost bought one on Ebay last week, but I had one concern -- with me being so BIG, my legs are really big around. Just above my knee, my calf measures 27" around.

I'm concerned that I won't be able to fit my knee between the levers without inadvertently pressing them out, thus affecting pitch / tune.

Any suggestions?? (other than Lose Weight) -- Easier said than done Confused
[/img]

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2011 9:41 am    

On virtually all PSGs the knee levers can be adjusted to accommodate leg width. Also, it is usually possible to move knee levers, although that is somewhat trickier.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2011 12:53 pm    

Several steel pickers in Mississippi. Try to locate one in your area and sit behind it their steel for a spell. I'm sure someone close to you will accommodate you. Should give you a good idea of what to expect.

Good Luck.
Ronnie Boettcher

Brunswick Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2011 4:17 pm    

I am not overweight, at 180#, but I have moved 2 of the 4 knee levers, to fit the mechanics of my left ankle. It is not rocket science, and all you need is a little mechanical foresight. You have to relocate the bracket that holds the knee lever, to accomodate your thigh width. Then shorten, or lengthen, the rods. Might have to buy a new threaded, longer screw, and a threaded coupling. (i did,at a cost of under a dollar). And take lots of measurements, as to exactly where to drill the new holes for the screws, making sure you dont drill through the top face of the body. Don't be afraid to do it. There are many steelers out there that have made changes to their steel, to fit their bodies. No two people are identical. Good luck, and go for it. Ronnie

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2011 4:42 am    

I have had to move knee levers on every PSG that I owned. It's easy.
Very Happy

Massachusetts, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2011 9:44 pm    

Glad to hear those tests are ok but, 450 is far from healthy. You are putting EXTREME demand on your heart and joints and it will eventually catch up with you. U used to be 350 and all my tests were fine then I got arthritis. trust me on this losing your health is no fun. Your hands will also work better with less obstacles to muscle usage.

As far as the steel, I'm sure there's always mechanical things you can do. You can do anything you wsnt.
James Sission

Sugar Land,Texas USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2011 4:33 am    

I knew a guy named Bob Rholf down in Corpus Christi Texas. He was about 400 or better and never seemed to have any problem playing steel. Before he got sick with cancer, he was playing an Excell steel and his legs were large like yours and he made it work.
Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2011 8:06 am    

Yes, being overweight will make it more difficult for you to fit under a pedal steel. Overweight people tend to sit with their legs apart. With extra girth on your thighs you'll find difficult getting into a comfortable position to work each pedal separately, not to mention the knee levers. Sad

I'm 50 lbs. overweight and I've never felt comfortable with knee levers, despite having adjusted the levers and pedals and raised the instruments. Sad (You can get leg and rod extenders, by the way, to raise them.)

Have you thought of getting a console non-pedal steel? Not only woiuld you be more comfortable under it, but you could stand up to play it. Winking
Walter Killam

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2011 12:38 pm    

Hi Steve,

When I first started tinkering with PSG I was weighing in around 370, and while I had to tweak the Knees a bit, it wasn't too difficult to get the mechanics of the steel to work. I did find that I was more comfortable if I tilted the steel away from me a bit.

Finding the right seat was really the key for me, you may want to try to find a comfortable seat that you can take to a store or friends studio to try out a couple of different guitars.

good luck!

Gulfport, MS, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2011 5:01 pm    

Alan Brookes wrote:
Yes, being overweight will make it more difficult for you to fit under a pedal steel. Overweight people tend to sit with their legs apart.

That was another concern of mine, along with my knees fitting between the levers.

Alan Brookes wrote:
Have you thought of getting a console non-pedal steel? Not only woiuld you be more comfortable under it, but you could stand up to play it.

I have a nice Canopus S-8 console that I really enjoy. I play it sitting or standing. I was just thinking of taking the plunge into the world of pedals.

Walter Killam wrote:
I did find that I was more comfortable if I tilted the steel away from me a bit.

That's a thought. When I play my Canopus from a sitting position, I tilt the key head end away from me to give my bar hand more room to maneuver. I do the same thing when playing keyboard -- I tilt the treble end away from me, as my left hand stays more stationary, but my right hand moves around the keys a lot more.