| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  10 strings, what to do?
John Bushouse

Post  Posted 6 Aug 2011 7:38 pm    

Is there any standard-ish tuning for 10-strings (not counting the Alkire tuning)? Aside from dropping two strings and making it an 8-string...

8 strings make my head hurt. 10 strings might make it explode. Or implode.
Robert Jette

Dallas, Tx.
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2011 7:44 pm    

Here's the advice that I received from Andy Gibson.

Try adding a low bass A and an F# on the bottom 2 strings

E
C
A
G
E
C
A
G
F#
A low

Or try this one...
G
E
C
A
G
E
C
A
F#
A low

With these you have an added D9th chord to the tuning. Just think 2 above your normal chord position in C6th tuning. Whenever you want a 9th chord it's 2 steps above the position it would be in C6th adding the 9th string into the mix
Jesse Adams

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2011 6:05 am    

I don't know about any standard ten string tunings aside from the pedal tunings but those might be a good place to start. What I would suggest is think about the voicings you want and put them together. I added a G# to the top of my standard 8 string A6 tuning and it lets me gets some of the don helms kind of sounds from an A6, plus gives me a major 7 chord on top. if I had a ten string I would go for a hybrid tuning. Put a b7 and a 4 on the bottom to also be able to tap into the swing 13th kind of sound or something like that. if you're only working with one neck it's important to look for versatility from your tuning.

Hope that's helpful!

Santa Rosa, California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2011 4:11 pm    

Tom Morrell got very good results with G#-F#-E-C#-B-G#-F#-E-D-E from top to bottom.

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2011 5:48 pm    

You might also consider something like this:

G#
E
C#
B
G#
F#
D
B (or A)
G#
E

That E13 can be retuned to C6 in a jiffy:

G
E
C
A
G
E
C (or C# or D)
A (or Bb)
G (or A)
E (or F)

My thinking is that with any single neck steel, you should try to string and tune in such a way as to maximize the possibilities for finding different tunings. Those two extra strings add a lot of possibilities in extending into the lower range and building more complex chords.

If you like the idea of re-entrant strings, there are dozens of possibilities, but I'm more comfortable with intervals progressing uninterrupted from low to high.
www.allisonguitars.com
Ryan Barwin

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2011 3:06 pm    

I'd use DFACEGACEG (low to high). It's extremely versatile, especially if you're good with slants.

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2011 4:08 pm    

I am awaiting delivery of a 10 string, and my idea is to use some sort of extended Leavitt tuning. Maybe an F and a G on top for a nice 6th voicing on strings 5,3,2,1, and an F# and then an A on the bottom, with the Leavitt tuning in the middle:

G
F
D
C
Bb
G
E
C#
A
F#

Haven't tried it yet, but just looking at it, I see a lot of chordal possibilities.
Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2011 4:48 pm    

[quote="Lee Cecil"]I am awaiting delivery of a 10 string, and my idea is to use some sort of extended Leavitt tuning. Maybe an F and a G on top for a nice 6th voicing on strings 5,3,2,1, and an F# and then an A on the bottom, with the Leavitt tuning in the middle:

lee. i have recorded a bunch of tunes with extended leavitt. it is a great tuning for chords. i will email you some links to them.
Lee Cecil

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2011 5:39 pm    

Thanks, Bill, I'm always interested in your arrangments. I've heard a few of your tunes, and they're great, so any links would be appreciated. In fact, I think you and I emailed at one point a year or so ago about Leavitt extensions and you suggested to me that whatever intervals I added, I needed to have a sixth chord voicing somewhere. My post should have mentioned that was originally your suggestion; my apologies. Now that I finally have a 10 string on the way, I can actually try that out. Thanks again.
Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2011 8:24 pm    

Lee Cecil wrote:
Thanks, Bill, I'm always interested in your arrangments. I've heard a few of your tunes, and they're great, so any links would be appreciated. In fact, I think you and I emailed at one point a year or so ago about Leavitt extensions and you suggested to me that whatever intervals I added, I needed to have a sixth chord voicing somewhere. My post should have mentioned that was originally your suggestion; my apologies. Now that I finally have a 10 string on the way, I can actually try that out. Thanks again.

Great. i have swapped emails with so many folks about the extended leavitt that i cant keep track anymore! i commend you on being adventurous in wanting to try the leavitt and also on getting a 10string instrument!
John Bushouse

Post  Posted 10 Aug 2011 8:50 pm    

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions!
Robbie Daniels

Casper, Wyoming, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2011 10:28 am    

I have a custom made S12 non-pedal that a fiend and I built that is tuned C6 as follows:
1 - D
2 - F
3 - G
4 - E
5 - C
6 - A
7 - G
8 - E
9 - D
10 - C
11 - A
12 - F