| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need Help! Problems with a Sho-Bud Maverick
Patrick Newbery

San Francisco, California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2011 8:41 am    

After teaching myself lap steel, and playing for several years, I decided to take the plunge into Pedal Steel Guitar and bought a 1970's Sho-Bud on Ebay (paid too much, and after searching the forum, realized it's not a great choice for beginners.

But being pig-headed and undaunted, I proceeded to try to set it up. I was trying to set up E9 and 3 -pedals when I began to notice some issues (see attached photos)

I have attached two pictures, just so you can see what I am referring to.

IMG_0321 shows a small split i the wood on the right side of the bridge. It looks like the bridge is canted forward just a bit on that side.

IMG_0322 shows the underside, and how the micro-tuners do not line up with the saddle pieces they are supposed to control (the mis-alignment seems to get more pronounced as you move right, towards the side of the bridge where the wood is split. Also, the micro-tuners seem to be too low, in some cases not touching the saddle pieces when fully tightened, but coming below them.

Other than a new pick up, it doesn't look like there have been any modifications to the bridge.

My questions:
Am I sh-- out of luck?
Is there some one in the greater San Fran area that repairs Pedal Steel Guitars?

Note: The tuning and copedant I was going for are
B D E F# G# B E G# D# F#
1 B-C# and B-C#
2 G#=A and G#-A
3 E-F# and B-C#

Any help would be much appreciated.
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2011 9:14 am    

It's hard to turn a pig's ear into a silk purse. Whoa!
Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2011 9:22 am    

Hi Patrick. There are many factors involved in reworking a steel. Proper lubrication, excess wear, binding parts, and on and on. The crack may, or may not, be an issue, but I would think if it is, it could be repaired easily enough...but must be done correctly and not just having a blob of glue applied.

You are on the right track in looking for an experienced player, or steel mechanic, to look your guitar over. You might consider a trip to Jim Palenscar's shop. He will give you honest, professional, advice with no baloney.
Patrick Newbery

San Francisco, California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2011 10:36 am    

Mike Wheeler wrote:
Hi Patrick. There are many factors involved in reworking a steel. Proper lubrication, excess wear, binding parts, and on and on. The crack may, or may not, be an issue, but I would think if it is, it could be repaired easily enough...but must be done correctly and not just having a blob of glue applied.

You are on the right track in looking for an experienced player, or steel mechanic, to look your guitar over. You might consider a trip to Jim Palenscar's shop. He will give you honest, professional, advice with no baloney.

Thanks Mike. I did some digging here on the site and found some photos of how people had set up the pulls and pedals. Remounted the hardware a bit, and at least have it up and running enough to use it on a recording.

The saddle pieces are worn at the bottom so the micro-tuners dont work on every string. It certainly is "delicate" with regard to tuning. But what an awesome sound!

Serial number is 1506.