| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Mods to a Starfire
Thomas Temple

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2011 9:46 am    

I recently bought a Starfire Lap Steel off Ebay and when I received it the strings at the nut where approximately an inch off the fret board but only about a quarter of an inch above the pickup. In other words the strings had a downward slope. I broke several strings trying to get it into tune and then took the guitar to a local music shop that said that they had never seen anything like it and felt that the nut should be modified to make the strings level with the fret board. Has anyone else had this problem and if so how did you solve it?
Tom Pettingill

California, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2011 12:49 pm    

Is that one of those cheap imports like the below image?
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_TFHYTXYk5QI/RbHGi_HcBOI/AAAAAAAAACA/my2_4iMYoNE/s1600-h/starfire1.jpg

In any event, it sounds like it has some serious design and or setup issues and a new nut and or even a new bridge could help a lot.
I did not see any good pictures of the nut end, but aluminum angle is one common solution for a replacement nut.
If you can post a pic of the nut end we can probably make some better recommendations.
Thomas Temple

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2011 3:27 pm     That is the one

Yes that is the exact guitar that I bought. The shop that has the guitar now is trying to figure out how to modify the nut as it looks like it is superglued to the neck and other than cutting it off and replacing it they are limited on options. Also I do not wish to sink a lot more money into this as it almost seems like sending good money after bad. I know that many players have more than one guitar for different tunings and willing to put a few dollars into getting a playable guitar, but also have ordered a new Allen Melbert Pro 6 and seeing as how I am a newbie that is looking for a "retirement hobby" money is an issue.
Tom Pettingill

California, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2011 4:19 pm    

Its hard to tell what the nut is made of in that pic, but if its super glued in and does not want to come off easy, a quick fix would be to just cut it down while in place. You can take a block of wood, or other suitable guide about 3/8" - 1/2" thick, lay it up against the face of the nut, and use that as a guide to make a level cut with a hand saw, hack saw, back saw, or other appropriate implement of destruction.
Thomas Temple

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2011 6:16 pm     Hack Job

Appreciate the input, thinking that my jig saw can eliminate the existing nut which appears to be just a piece of wood with a plastic piece on top grooved for the strings. Should be able to come up with some sort of suitable replacement. At least good enough to get some playing time in while I await the new one. BTW all I can say about your "collection" is WOW!
Thomas Temple

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2011 6:18 pm     On the level

Got the nut cut down and now the strings are parallel with the fret board, new set of strings installed, tuned to an open D and all is right with the world. Sounds good, well as good as it can with a newbie playing it!!