| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A couple of interesting questions?????????
Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2011 10:48 am    

Question #1---When it comes to guitar cords, which is the most reliable connection: A soldered connection, or a screw touching lose wires?
Question #2---Is it possible a guitar cord can start working by just touching it--let alone un-plugging and re-plugging it? These two things would be good for any serious musician to remember and think about-----forever!
Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2011 10:57 am    

Any musician knows that if you'll put a non working cable back in your gig bag, the equipment fairies will have it back working by next weekend! My guys do it with mic cables all the time.

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2011 11:19 am    

#1: Soldered connections are as a rule most reliable, but a screw- or spring-connection that clamps the wires securely so they can't be pulled loose without ripping the cord apart, can be almost as good.
"Touching", as in various quick-connecting plugs, is not very reliable.

#2: Corrosion, loose strands and/or internally torn-up wires, can make a cord work/not work - connect/disconnect/shorten - with the slightest movements.
Cheap plugs often get an invisible non-conductive "coat" of corrosion after a while, that repeated plugging/unplugging may cut through.
Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2011 1:09 pm    

Clyde,talking about "fairies". I looked up faries in the dictionary. The dictionary says: "Fairy-An imaginary being usually in human form and supposed to have magic powers, specif. one that is tiny, graceful, and delicate." Also found out where the tooth fairy is living. He is living in Hollywood, writing television commercials.
Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2011 1:58 pm    

Quote:
...if you'll put a non working cable back in your gig bag, the equipment fairies will have it back working by next weekend! My guys do it with mic cables all the time.

I think I have some of those same guys working for me, too, Clyde...

Scientifically speaking, a soldered connection is stronger and more durable, thus a physically "better" connection, and a non-soldered, screw to bare wire has a lower resistance, thus is a "better" connection electrically.

The clincher for me is the potential for stray strands to cause trouble in an unsoldered connector, so everything I own is soldered.
James Ramsey

Arkansas, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2011 2:26 pm     cords and plugs

personally I use George L no soldering I've been playing with these cords for 20 years or longer and have virtually had no problems with them. the only problem is the ground wire on the 45's plugs and you can screw the cap in and it's O.K. the wire doesn't scratch when you step on them. and the plugs are guaranteed for life.