| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New video from Ron Rogers and the Wailing Wind
Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2011 9:59 am    

The link to our new video has appeared in a couple of my replies to other forum posts but I figure I might as well feature it all on its own. This is one of the songs from our New CD, "Country and Eastern" and was produced by some talented young folks who have a production company that they call Quarter Orange.

No, it's not traditional country but as with all the material we do there is a prominent place for the pedal steel guitar. No, it's not full of hot licks and speed-picking, for the most part the steel playing is simple and straight-forward and not intended to show off the steel player's chops so much as to support the song and the story as best as possible.

Hope some of you'all enjoy it...

http://vimeo.com/24800685
Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2011 12:49 am    

Dave, may I give another link for watching the vid, bcause the vimeo stutters on my computer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta_9WCC3TD8
Great music!
Joachim

Bakersfield California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2011 3:55 pm    

Dave I like it Smile
78 Emmons PP,Great tone.82 Emmons SKH #56
Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2011 4:30 pm    

I enjoyed it for sure.

Deer Harbor, Orcas Island, WA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2011 6:40 pm    

Dave - I thought the whole thing was terrific. Loved the song and the feel of the video. Really nice job. ( I'm passing it around to friends here in town as fast as I can).

hope to see you around,

Matt
Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2011 2:38 pm    

Thanks for the kind words, guys, the steel parts on this one are pretty simple but it's all about making the song work so I'm down with that.

The young folks at Quarter Orange here in Portland put that together for us, Ron gave them complete artistic license and they came up with something that far exceeds our expectations both in production quality and writing/casting/editing choices. The band shots were done at Portland's Kenton Club, site of the bar scenes from Raquel Welch's roller derby flick - for about half a second you can see her face on a poster behind us but don't strain yourself trying to make it out...

This song reflects just one aspect of what we have been doing with Ron's songs, from Texas Roadhouse Blues to Swampy Country and beyond. We've got a great quartet of guys with decades of experience playing everything from classical to blues to country to jazz, rock, calypso and salsa.

Most of our recordings capture the songs as performed when we first learn and arrange them, if there is a second or third take is usually because one or more of us is saying "Let's do it again, I'm still playing too many notes" and not only are we having big fun hanging and playing together but, get this y'all, THE WIVES ALL LIKE EACH OTHER A LOT, TOO! Go figure...

Here's a bonus track - a lyrical response to a certain scene in the video - that is unlikely to ever be released to the public, complete with a pedal steel meltdown at the end of the solo, just to prove we do this stuff live before we have learned the songs...

http://www.pdxaudio.com/ronrogers/chicken.mp3

...and a totally different track from the same album:

http://www.pdxaudio.com/ronrogers/underthewheels.mp3

In addition to the band's FaceBook page, more info about and music from this project can be found at these sites:

http://www.myspace.com/ronrogerslax/
I particularly like "Soul Salvation" which you can listen to here. It will be on the next album and features our old friend the half-pedalled E9 5th string

http://ronrogersww.com/

Thanks to Joachim for posting the YouTube link, the original YT file had a problem but it has since been reposted, so enjoy, y'all!
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2011 3:42 pm    

good dave. it's cool to hear that you guys out there on the forum can actually play well...and in tune!
Dennis Lee

Forest Grove, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2011 4:09 pm     HI Dave!

Don't think I've ever met you, but I like the work in this song. Great video too, very professional! Hope to figure out who you are at a local jam sometime. See you on the Forum a lot. Take care and keep steelin'.
Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2011 4:34 pm    

Quote:
it's cool to hear that you guys out there on the forum can actually play well...and in tune!

Thanks Chris, but if you check the link to "Underneath the Wheels" you will hear a couple of moments towards the end of the song where I am not so spendidly in tune at all, but again, we made the choice to keep the take to preserve the "live" feel of what was an otherwise magical ensemble moment.

Hope to meet you too, Dennis, if not at one of the jamborees then maybe at a show - I'll be playing my white P/P at the "Walk in the Park" in Carlton on July 23rd with the outstanding Miss Joni Harms' traditional western act and probably with the Boomer Band's '50's Doo-Wop revue as well. Be sure and say howdy if you make it out.
Dennis Lee

Forest Grove, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2011 6:38 pm     Carlton

Hi Dave,
That sounds good, since I live in Forest Grove. Did you mention what time on the 23rd? Keep me posted my friend. My home email is: aviator014@msn.com
Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2011 8:29 pm    

According to the website
http://www.carltonswalkinthepark.com/entertainment.html

Joni Harms plays from 1:15pm - 3:00 pm

In additon to Joni we will have myself on pedal steel, John Bunzow on electric guitar, Mark LaRue Todd on bass and Brud Giles on drums

The Boomer Band follows, playing from 3:45pm - 5:30pm

To many players to list but it will be a high-energy oldies revue
Steve Hotra

Camas, Washington
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2011 8:48 am    

Dave;
great video, song and vibe from your band is incredible..nice that this is coming from the Portland Ore music scene!
More to come?
Steve
Amps: Mesa Express 5:25, Jazzkat Tomkat & Boss Katana head / various cabs.
Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2011 8:15 am    

No more videos in the works at present, Steve, but we have the better part of the next album complete. Gonna wait a while to let the recent release get it's due...
mike nolan

Forest Hills, NY USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2011 7:33 pm    

Great Dave! Real pro production all around.
Martin Abend

Berlin, Germany
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2011 2:00 pm    

I really like it. Very well done.