| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jim Barber Passing
Bill Paisley

Athens, TN, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2011 7:30 pm    

We lost a dear friend and a fine musician Saturday July 2. He was from Shelby NC where he started out in Don Gibson's Band as fiddle player and singer. They were called "Sons of the Soil" He was with Don when they played on the "Mid Day Merry go round" in Knoxville Tn in the 50s. After a tour in the Army he toured with Lash LaRue for a year or two. While touring he became friends with Jake Tullock who played with Flatt and Scruggs. He married Jake's sister and settled down in Etowah Tn. His first wife Aileen died and he was married to Gilda Armstrong. He was quiet active in music around Athens and Etowah for many years. He played a lot in the church he attended.

Last edited by Bill Paisley on 5 Jul 2011 6:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2011 12:10 am    

Bill, I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. May GOD bless, comfort, and keep his family always. Jody.
Bill Paisley

Athens, TN, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2011 12:02 pm     Egleeye Steel Player

Just thought of something to add. Jim often talked of a Steel player who played in the Don Gibson's band. His name was Summie Hindericks nicknamed "Egleeye". We did a binefit for Jim several years ago and I got Egleeye to come to it. Jim had not seen him in about 20 years. Summie has since passed away but he is remembered by many as very good Steel Guitarist. Bill Paisley