| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Message from Rick Campbell
Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2011 3:41 pm    

Some of you might have noticed that I've been out of sight for the past several months. Here's why. I've been dealing with prostate cancer, and I had surgery last week to remove my prostate. Good news is that the pathology reports came back that all the cancer was contained in the prostate and there's no evidence of cancer in the lymph nodes or surrounding tissue. Therefore, all indications are that I'm cancer free and should remain that way.

Hey guys..... I can't stress this enough. When the doctors office tells you that your blood work came back "normal" please ask what the PSA number is and keep track of it yourself. Mine is "normal" and I have prostate cancer. My family doctor's office didn't mention anything to me except "normal". My endocrinologist (I see for low thyroid) noticed that my PSA had increased from 2.3 to 2.9 is one year. (anything below 4 is normal) He suggested we check it again in three months and it was then 3.3. He sent me to a urologist. They did a biopsy and out of twelve biopsy specimens, one showed some cancer cells. Therefore, very early. Had I depended on doctor's office "normal" results....... I might be having a different outcome.

1 in 6 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer.
Prostate cancer is the number two cause of cancer deaths among males in the US.

If you catch it early, you can get rid of it..... if you wait until you have symptoms..... it might be too late. It's not only physical, it's also an emotional ride. I've laughed, cried, worried, and prayed a lot for God to help me accept whatever he has planned for me. I was lucky. So, please watch out for an increase in your PSA. It might keep you alive. I love you guys. Thanks for listening!

Rick Campbell

Smile
David Thornhill

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2011 3:46 pm     rick

Rick, glad to know everything went great with you. Hope you many years of music. Dave Thornhill
Hook Moore

South Charleston,West Virginia
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2011 4:22 pm    

I'm happy to hear you're doing ok. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Hook

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2011 4:39 pm    

Glad to hear a good report on your condition. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2011 4:44 pm    

Praise GOD, Praise JESUS. Jody.
Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2011 5:09 pm    

You've been in our prayers since we emailed last. Prayers do get answered! Both my Dad and my brother had prostate cancer, so my Doctor has my PSA checked twice a year, and he keeps close tabs on it being unchanged. So far,so good. But like you say, keep track of it yourself as well. I hope to see you soon, my friend.

Last edited by Roger Crawford on 2 Jul 2011 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2011 5:42 pm    

Rick, thanks so much for telling us this. It is so very important for us over 40 to go and have all the prostate tests done. Go to the doc at least once a year for your checkup and have the regular examination done, plus the PSA test. Have your doctor keep tabs on what number on the PSA test is normal for you
I am glad to hear that you caught it early, Rick, and that you are cancer free today. You did us all a great service.
Tony Dingus

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2011 6:01 pm    

Thank the Lord for that.

Tony
Papa Joe Pollick

Swanton, Ohio
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2011 6:50 pm    

I love happy endings..Rick I'm so glad things worked out for you.You're right, it ain't something to mess with..I'm being carefully monitored by 3 different doctors myself..So far,so good..
Lee Cecil

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2011 8:19 am    

It's commendable of you to think of other forum members in the middle of your own personal situation. This was a very thoughtful post.

Best wishes to you.
Mike Anderson

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2011 9:14 am    

Thanks Rick for this great post. I lost my Dad to prostate cancer when he was only 59, and I am very diligent about getting checked. I'll add that my doc insists on both the manual exam (we all hate 'em, we all need to have 'em) as well as PSA. My previous doc had held that the PSA alone was sufficient, but this guy is of a very different opinion and I trust him. He was in the South African Navy and is a tough, no-nonsense guy.

Men, this is one of our biggest health issues - listen to Rick. Very glad you're okay Rick, and thanks again for your story.
Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2011 11:35 am    

Congratulations Rick. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2011 1:16 pm    

Rick, I went thru the same thing in 1998, caught it early, and today, still cancer free. As Rick said, keep this checked on your own. The normal is to start checking your PSA at age 40.
Good luck Rick, and glad you caught yours early. L.
Roger Kelly

Bristol,Tennessee
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2011 2:29 pm    

Thanks for sharing that good news and advice. I hope you remain cancer free. Take care.
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 2 Jul 2011 2:51 pm    

A good prognosis is a beautiful thing. Get better fast! Smile
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2011 3:51 pm    

May the lord watch over you and protect you Rick. Great news and good advice.
Ronnie Boettcher

Brunswick Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2011 5:35 pm    

Way to go, and to beat the cacer. So glad you caught it early enough. I keep a close watch on mine. But thanks for warning others. God bless you, and get that music going again. Ronnie

SC/TN
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2011 5:53 am    

Hey Rick,

Glad to hear from you, especially glad to hear the great news. I actually was thinking of you a week or so ago, and have meant to call, but my mother had a stroke last week, and well, I have been a bit occupied. Great message, one we should all listen to more closely. Call me when you get a minute.

See ya soon,
Drummer Boy
J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2011 4:35 pm    

Hi Rick, Thanks so much for your post and thank the good Lord for your recovery. After haveing test done by my local Doctor and a area Cardiologist and all reports were NORMAL I had tripple by-pass open heart surgery two months ago, all is well and recoverery is very good. My point is you have to take care of yourself, (I am 70) and have been healthy all my life but was haveing all the symtoms you hear about before a heart attact so I ended up going to the Oklahoma Heart Hosipital in OKC and was admitted that afternoon and surgery the next morning so I did not have a heart attact or any damage. Had 100% blockage on one side and 80% on the other. So hopeing to have many more good years if it is the will of God. Thanks, J.R.
Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2011 4:37 pm    

Thanks for all the responses, but it's not about me it's about you guys and making sure you stay on top of this thing so it's not a big problem for you.

I had the catheter removed today (2 weeks). That was really a pain..... I'd rather listen to new country for two weeks as to............. no, I won't go that far. Either one is extremely painful for me. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Again..... I thank the good Lord that I was able to catch this while I could be completely cured. He's taught me a lot throughout this process.

Smile
Bill Plemmons

Simpsonville, SC
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2011 6:46 am    

Rick,
Good to hear things are working out OK. May your recovery go well. Stay away from that new country though, could cause a set back.
Hope you can make it to Saluda again soon!

Bill
Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 7 Jul 2011 1:11 pm    

Glad everything is OK. Bo and I wish you a speedy recovery. Thanks for your warning regarding prostate cancer.
Mike Delaney

Fort Madison, IA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2011 10:52 pm    

Glad to hear you're doing OK. I went through the same thing last year. Caught it early, thank the Lord, all is well.

Listen up guys! There really is a reason to go get heinously violated every year. Get it checked!

Best of luck in your recovery.

Mike
Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2011 3:27 am    

My story is similar to Rick's, except my primary care physician was all over it every year at my annual physical, he did a great job screening. In 2007 he saw a moderate jump in PSA level, and wanted to check it again in a couple of months, so we did and it was up even more.

So off the urologist and a biopsy, and it came back with three 'positives' for PC. I ended up with surgery also, and I've been clean since. I go in every 6 months for a PSA check, and so far so good.

If you're 40+, and your doc isn't doing the DRE and PSA at your annual physical (or if you aren't getting an annual physical Sad) you need to ask for it or find another doc. As Rick says, caught early it's very treatable.
Allen Peterson

Katy, Texas
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2011 5:57 am    

Rick,

Great to have you back. I had my prostate removed seven years ago. I wasn't as lucky as you. Mine turned out to be advanced, even though we thought we caught it early. I underwent four years of hormone ablation. I get my PSA checked at MD Anderson every six months. I go again early August. So far, it's been undetectable.

I concur with your advice. Get checked once a year beginning at 40. My first PSA was when I was 50, and it was too late. My PSA never got above 4.2. In fact, three weeks before the surgery it was 3.8. Go figure. I had 36 biopsies, which was worse than the surgery! They found cancer in four of the last round of twelve.

Good luck and keep in touch.

Allen Peterson