| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Attention all traditional country lovers
Bill Howard

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2011 7:13 pm    

Due popular demand from younger generation!, the steel guitar is not allowed any longer on Real country recordings. Anyone over 40 should turn in their volume pedals asap. Your years of thinking Pedal Steel guitar as a Country instrument are over.
Only other types of music may be played on them, Reggae,Pop,Rap,Jazz,Classical,Hip Hop etc.. and of course for the time being the "New Country" will be allowed a few more years until those artist turn 40 also. So no more Farewell Party,He stopped loving her today.Grand tour, ALL on the "Do not play list".
Large fines assesed for playing things like "Murder on Music Row", or "Nashvilles gone hollywood", these songs were a ploy by misguided writers who had the Nerve to play with Pedal Steels and Fiddle portrayed as "Country Instruments. The Song Police will be watching.
Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2011 7:34 pm    

I think this record is about wore out by now. Rolling Eyes
Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2011 9:01 pm    

Aww Bill, in addition to the fact that the young folk out here on the upper left edge are playing all those great old tunes you mentioned every night of the week it is obvious that you have not listened to anything recorded over the past twenty-odd years by Western Music Association's 2003 Female Vocalist of the Year, Miss Joni Harms. She's a first-rate songwriter and performer and a multiple winner of Academy of Western Artists Awards, including 2002 Entertainer of the Year, who just completed her 11th album and continues to gain a devoted following through appearances on the Grand Ole Opry, Carnegie Hall and a full-time worldwide touring schedule.

If you haven't heard of this excellent artist - who incidentally co-wrote the late Chris LeDoux's hit "Cowboy Up" - then it's time to turn off your corporate-controlled radio and tune in to her website at http://www.joniharms.com - you'll hear plenty of traditional pedal steel and fiddle played by the best in the business (who are all over 40 by the way) and she's not gonna be quitting any time soon, so you can relax, Bill, it's not all doom and gloom out there if you only do a little digging...
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2011 1:28 am    

I'm not turning in my volume pedal, in fact I'm thinking of buying another.

I don't have a problem with anyone being locked into one genre of music but please don't ask me to get into that same locked box.

If old style music is not being written and recorded, what does that have to do with Steel guitars ?

Big Band music of the 30's and 40's fell by the wayside but there sure are plenty of Saxophones out there today !

t

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Bill Howard

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2011 4:43 am     Tired of hearing about it also

I'm Sick and tired of hearing these guys that been playing steel a handful of years telling me what to play or how STUPID I AM for playing traditional country on my Guitar!. If you like the little Pop so called country have at it. There are still plenty of guys who LIKE three chord songs, I play a lot of classical type songs on my Fender strat.
I also take my Strat to Pedal steel jobs to play things I don't like playing on a steel.
I LIKE a LOT of Soft Rock music the Eagles are more Country than about anything coming out of trashville these days. Even the Artist that want to play Country are not allowed to,Joe Nichols is one I suspect likes Country,His first album was the First I had bought in YEARS. So if you want to play Padonka
Padonka or whatever Play it. I will NEVER consider that #$%^% Country Music it isn't. It should be used in place of Epicat.
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2011 5:03 am    

nobody called anyone stupid...

There is no issue with loving traditional country and Steel guitar, I do as well...but at the same time don't request that all players follow suit. That's no different than being called stupid for only liking Traditional Country. Same thing, different direction.

Arty Passes

Austin, TX
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2011 5:13 am    

These kids today......blah blah blah.....
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2011 6:21 am     Re: Tired of hearing about it also

Bill Howard wrote:
I'm Sick and tired of hearing these guys that been playing steel a handful of years telling me what to play or how STUPID I AM for playing traditional country on my Guitar!. If you like the little Pop so called country have at it. There are still plenty of guys who LIKE three chord songs, I play a lot of classical type songs on my Fender strat.
I also take my Strat to Pedal steel jobs to play things I don't like playing on a steel.
I LIKE a LOT of Soft Rock music the Eagles are more Country than about anything coming out of trashville these days. Even the Artist that want to play Country are not allowed to,Joe Nichols is one I suspect likes Country,His first album was the First I had bought in YEARS. So if you want to play Padonka
Padonka or whatever Play it. I will NEVER consider that #$%^% Country Music it isn't. It should be used in place of Epicat.

A Strat? That ain't country! Laughing

Everything changes. Every generation has to create its own sound, write its own music, etc. Young people want to identify with young artsts--it's nothing new. Go back and check the history of recorded music from the beginning up to now. Nothing is stopping anyone from making their own music, especially in these times when it is feasible to make your own recordings on a shoestring budget. Don't expect to make any money from it, though.

Everything changes. It's how you let those changes affect you that matters.

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2011 10:14 am    

It is a logical fallacy to think that believing that pedal steel (or steel guitar in general) fits in non-country music is equivalent to thinking that it doesn't fit in country music, or that such people don't like country music.

Look - there are people out there who don't like traditional country music. There have always been people out there who don't like traditional country music. The fundamental issue here is that some (not all) of the people purveying what is now known as (modern) country music are not fans of the traditional form of the music.

This is not a new issue. I know some modern rock players who don't care for old rock and roll. I know some modern blues players who don't care for old gutbucket blues. I know some modern jazz players who don't care for traditional (some call dixieland) or swing jazz.

We don't get to control what other people do or think. All we can do is to do and think what we please - the brain police haven't arrived (not yet at least - there are people who would like the bring them on, but we should resist.)

Live and let live, and Frank Zappa still had the best advice, which I try (OK, sometimes unsuccessfully) to apply to my life (Shut up and play 'yer guitar.)

PS - as long as you know you're not stupid for playing traditional country music - and you are emphatically NOT stupid for doing this - who the hell cares what others think? I take flack sometimes for being so into traditional country music, but I KNOW in my heart that the stuff I like so much is great music, so this rolls off me like water off a duck's back. Of course, I like lots of other music as well - and the naysayers can spout off all they like.
Tim Tyner

Ayden, North Carolina U.S.A
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2011 12:00 pm    

Well said Dave.The guitar is wood,metal and strings,and yes sometimes formica.It comes to life only in the hands of the player.At that moment in time if the player is playing what he loves then that makes it that kind of instrument regardless of the genre.With this thought in mind,how can it ever die?
Joe Miraglia

Jamestown N.Y.
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2011 1:08 pm     Re: Attention all traditional country lovers

[quote="Bill Howard"]Due popular demand from younger generation!, the steel guitar is not allowed any longer on Real country recordings. Anyone over 40 should turn in their volume pedals asap.

I have a greater problem with the older generation,than the younger generation. When it comes to music, steel guitar,some on the forum,even while shopping at Wall- Mart,even dropped my ARRP membership. What is wrong with me--,I'm 71 years old.
The band I'm in have three players in their 30's
www.willowcreekband.com
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2011 3:39 pm    

Excuse me, but NOBODY is saying that you can’t play traditional country steel if that’s what you want to do. In fact it’s just the opposite. Those of us who are stepping outside the tradition are being ignored or met with outright hostility. We’re not telling you that you can’t play country, you’re telling us that we MUST.

Look at the hostile reaction Robert Randolph and Susan Alcorn received here when they emerged.

Consider this. In 1984, at my first convention, almost all the players jammed with the house band on traditional country songs, and got standing ovations. But Hal Rugg came with a well rehearsed band and presented an outstanding program that included jazz, pop, a piece by Bach, and some jazz-rock fusion as well as some western swing and E9 country. It was far and away the best set of the entire convention. But not only was he the only person who didn’t get an ovation, people got up and walked out.

The first time Alvino Rey performed (I think it was ’88, but I’m not sure,) he brought a 17 piece big band. During his set, I heard people in the audience say “Who is this guy? Why is he here? Why isn’t he playing country? I came here to hear country, not this crap.”

When the original cassette of my Firebird Suite album was released, it received 2 reader reviews in Steel Guitar World magazine. The first one conceded that the music was very beautiful but said that it “didn’t meet the needs of the steel guitar community” and ended with the words; ”Michael, go back to playing country.” The second review began with the words, :”WARNING: Stay away from this tape. It’s as far from country as you can get.”

Who is telling who what they are and are not allowed to play?

The fact that the steel is finding it’s way into other genres like Reggae, Classical, Jazz, rock and blues, is a GOOD thing. It’s exposing the instrument to new audiences, inspiring people to take it up, and providing work for players. Where is the down side to that?

If you want to play traditional country, go ahead and play traditional country. But don’t try to tell me that I have to play it too, or that those of us who choose a different path are somehow hurting you or preventing you from playing the kind of music you prefer. That's just nonsense.

Last edited by Mike Perlowin on 23 Jun 2011 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bill Howard

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2011 3:42 pm     Traditional Country was called stupid

Only a cpl weeks ago a forum member wrote that Traditional Country music was "a poem to stupid to be quoted" Now all of the sudden just because some young steeler got a new distortion unit traditional country music is stupid?. Or someone played girl from Impanema on a Pedal Steel... I have never seen someone who loves traditional country bash others music genres without being first called stupid or accused of "Killing the pedal steel guitar" or made fun of for what we like to play. How are we killing the steel guitar?. Just because some greedy record producers killed the real country we listened to and still like...doesn't mean we're going to quit playing it.
Me and many others that love the real stuff don't CARE WHAT you play, Stop bashing us and accusing us of Killing the Pedal Steel, the Old timers you make fun of supported it when many of you were in Diapers.
I Bought a Brand New Franklin from Paul Sr in 1987, I bought 3 Sho Buds before that,a Pro 1 a Lloyd Green,A Student Fender Sho Bud made. I attended the Convention every year until 1990 when I felt it changed from being for steel players to becoming nothing more than large commercial, I bought a brand new LTD 400 in 1980 from Scottys. So us Old fogies have kept it alive contrary to whatever some new comers think. If you like the trashville stuff play it...I don't& I will use my steel for kindling before I play something on it I don't like.
Male fun of me all you like I will not comment on this subject again.
Joe Miraglia

Jamestown N.Y.
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2011 4:56 pm    

Trashville stuff, Wow! Oh Well

I PLAYED " I CAN'T HELP IT IF I'M STILL IN LOVE WITH YOU" back in 1956. Today I'm playing " All SUMMER LONG" by Kid Rock Thats what I call doing it all Smile And I'm playing all summer long. Literally Cool Joe
www.willowcreekband.com
Leslie Ehrlich

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2011 12:30 am     Re: Traditional Country was called stupid

Bill Howard wrote:
I have never seen someone who loves traditional country bash others music genres without being first called stupid or ... or made fun of for what we like to play.

If you are going to bash something, be prepared for an argument because there is always someone who is going to disagree with you. If I bashed traditional country music, I'm sure I'd be called stupid or made fun of.

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2011 1:54 am    

Although I am not young, I am learning steel guitar and listening to many classic country songs for the first time in my life, as if they were written yesterday. Many young listeners and future players may be doing the same, so just hold your breath, then relax. Wink I think our next generation of steel players will be well versed in many of the classic sounds of yestersteel.

Clete
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2011 6:52 am     Re: Traditional Country was called stupid

Leslie Ehrlich wrote:
[quote="Bill .
if I bashed traditional country music, I'm sure I'd be called stupid or made fun of.

Leslie, I can't believe you play Pedal Steel thru a Marshall, don't you know you can't do that?

Rick Jackson

Carson City, Nevada
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2011 10:46 am    

Andy, I agree with you!!
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2011 11:44 am    

"I can't believe you play Pedal Steel thru a Marshall"

In the late Seventies, I played pedal steel through a full stack, with the R&B band, Hot Potato and The Abdo-men." Sam and Dave, Wilson Pickett,,, that kinda stuff! Horn section, congas, the works! Even had a dancer!
Duncan Hodge

DeLand, FL USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2011 5:17 pm    

Not to stir the pot...OK, it is to stir the pot...but, Isn't truly "traditional country music" called bluegrass? And, isn't "real" bluegrass supposed to be played in some unelectrified fashion? There's an old joke that starts off "How many bluegrass pickers does it take to change a lightbulb?" The answer is 5...one to change the lightbulb and two to argue about whether Bill Monroe would have changed it that way, and two to argue over whether the lightbulb should have been electrified in the first place. I'm not sure that my post exactly fits in with this discussion, but I think it kinda/sorta does.
Duncan

Way out West
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2011 7:19 pm    

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRGH!

PLEASE - no more! If I see one more post about the future of PSG or why there isn't more steel in contemporary country I am gonna KILL MYSELF!!

That poor horse has been flogged so much there is nothing left but a skeleton - and not much of that either. WE must all find our way through changing times, but if we work at it things will be for the better.

So PLEASE - no more!

Jim
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2011 7:31 pm    

Duncan Hodge wrote:
Isn't truly "traditional country music" called bluegrass?

Bluegrass is just one form of traditional country music. There are a ton of recordings by such artists Jimmy Rogers, the Carter Family, Uncle Dave Macon, Charlie Poole, Clarence Ashley, Doc Boggs, etc., that are traditional country music, but not bluegrass.

you know, the 5 string banjo, played clawhammer style, was used for decades before bluegrass came along. Earl Scruggs invented bluegrass style playing some time during the 1940s, about the same time bill Monroe emerged.

One wonders if people back then complained about the advent of bluegrass as much as people here complain about the advent of new country.
Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 3 Jul 2011 7:15 am    

"A Strat? That ain't country!"

Sorry but the Strat was developed by Leo as a pure country guitar, fixing what he perceived to be problems with his first axes.

Cardiff, Wales, UK
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2011 9:50 am    

On a positive note: thanks to Dave Grafe for alerting me to Joni Harms. I hadn't come across her before. I bought the Cowgirl Dreams CD as a download today. It's great!

I learn so much from this place.

Chris
Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 3 Jul 2011 10:16 am    

...oops, almost forgot. If you don't play a Marlen, a Sho-Bud round front or an Emmons P/P you don't play a real pedal steel. Simple as that.

Gotta go, see ya later!

Wink, wink, nod, nod...and I do realize sarcasm is the weapon of the second-rate mind.