| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Larry Black
Buck Reid

Nashville,TN
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2011 4:44 am    

One of my very best friends and brother to steel guitar great... Bobby Black. Many of you folks remember "The Black Brother's" and all the great music they played together out on the west coast back in the day. Larry was instrumental in helping me with my Cd and even agreed to play on it when he barely had enough strength to hold his guitar, but still played great! He taught me alot about music, life, and had a truck load of stories about hangin' out and working sessions at Pete Drakes studio back in the seventies. Today marks six years since his passing... he was a meek, mild mannered individual with major talent and a big heart who was not just a great friend to me but to all. He is missed!

R.I.P., Buena Park, California
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2011 2:38 pm    

I worked with Larry Black when he was just 18 years old. He and his brother Bobby were working with Shorty Joe in San Jose, Ca. at Tracy Gardens. Bobby left to go with the Blackie Crawford Band back in Oklahoma. At this time I was in the Army and permanently assigned at Fort Ord, Ca. Shorty got a hold of me and I was able to take Bobby's place. Larry was already becoming a Monster Player and we worked together in 1953 and 1954. At that time Bobby and I played much the same style so it worked out real well. I have a CD of a remote radio broadcast where Larry and I were playing parts together. I wish I knew how to post it. Like you stated Larry was just a great Guy. I was really shocked when I heard he had died. I talked with Bobby a short time ago and he is still very active playing a lot of differen't venues out of the Bay Area in California.
Billy Tonnesen

R.I.P., Buena Park, California
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2011 2:52 pm     Larry Black and Billy T. with Shorty Joe Band

Buck Reid

Nashville,TN
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2011 4:18 pm    

Thanks for replying and posting the pic Billy. That was a minute or two ago wasn't it? What brand of steel were you playing there?

Freeville, New York, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2011 6:37 pm    

hey BUCK .....

sorry for the loss of such a friend ..... but the memories left are priceless .

take care ...... Bob
Peavey Guitars
Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2011 7:39 pm    

Hi Buck, Thanks for letting us know. Larry was one of the good guys. May GOD bless, comfort, and keep his family always. Jody.
Bob Simmons

Trafford, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2011 5:47 pm     bobby

sorry for your loss Bobby - got to do some work with him at "Pete's Place" always remember you guys at naperdack hall - I had to climb over the fence...ha
Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2011 8:02 pm    

I know Bobby Black checks in on the Forum from time to time.

Very sorry to hear of Larry's passing, what a great musician he was.

One extremely talented pair of brothers, among the finest to ever come out of the Bay Area.

NJ
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2011 5:04 am    

My condolences to the Black family. I really love the Country Cut-Ups LP. Thanks for the music, Larry.

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2011 6:49 am    

Lest anyone think it just happened, Larry passed away 6 years ago on June 9, 2005. He was a wonderful person and a great musician. We still miss him.

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2011 7:00 am    

Oh yeah, I guess I didn't read Buck's post to the bottom, and not having ever known Larry personally I guess it went right over my head!

NJ
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2011 7:02 am    

b0b wrote:
Lest anyone think it just happened, Larry passed away 6 years ago on June 9, 2005. He was a wonderful person and a great musician. We still miss him.

Thanks for clearing that up--I didn't know.

California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2011 11:40 am     Remembering Larry Black

Thanks Buck and Bill for your kind remembrances of Larry. Many thanks also to all those who posted their sentiments--the photos, which I had never seen before, are very much appreciated as well.

It's hard to believe it's been six years since Larry left us; I miss him more than ever----
James Allison

California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2011 9:15 pm     Larry Black

I had the honor and privilege of playing with the Black Brothers band all over the south bay in the eighties. Larry was an amazing and brilliant guitarist who always seemed to play just exactly what a song needed. He changed my style of playing completely and I will always feel a debt of gratitude. I've played with some awesome guitarists but Larry's style was just, well you know, right......
Shorty Rogers

Post  Posted 21 Jun 2011 7:28 am    

Buck and Bobby, I'm sure you both know how much I valued Larry's friendship. Even after 20 years of not being connected, when I moved to Tennessee, it was as though no time had really passed. I truly miss him and his stories.

Bobby, on another note, welcome to the Forum.

JB, I do owe you a musical debt. When you informed me you were taking off 3 days from our gig at the Hillsdale Inn, I was none too happy, but sending Larry as a sub made it all better. I knew he was an awesome player, but three nights on the stand with him were very eyeopening. The sense of time that the man had and his phrasing--tasteful and timely, were superb. Those three nights were the three best nights that drummer ever had with us. I consider those nights one of my career high-lights. Another was hiring Bobby to sub for me at a corporate shindig. Smile
James Allison

California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2011 10:18 am     Larry Black

Hey Shorty, great to hear from you. I couldn't agree more about Larry. I've worked with some world renowned "Hot Licks" players but they had nothing on Larry. Your so right on about his phrasing. To me he was truly one of the greatest country pickers ever. I guess five sets a night for a thousand nights in a Honky Tonk really does pay off.. You take care now.......RIP Mr. BLack......
Larry Miller

Dothan AL,USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2011 11:35 am    

Here is a pic of Larry from a jam session in 1999, what a great player!

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 23 Jun 2011 4:53 pm    

Larry and I spent countless nights in the dim lights, thick smoke, and loud, loud music of Cowtown in San Jose. He was even a better friend than he was a musician, and he was a hell of a musician. Miss you, Larry.
James Allison

California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2011 6:52 pm     Larry Black

I MISS Cowtown.....
Gary Walker

Morro Bay, CA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2011 4:52 pm    

I lived in the SF Bay area in the 50s and would rush home to catch the Black Brothers on TV. I was a young teen and these two totally knocked me. What a pair of super pickers.