| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Richie Dell
Tom Griffin

Lovelock, NV, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2011 6:56 am    

A long time friend of mine and a lot of other musicians passed away June 16,2011 at Cahoma Texas.
Fred Shannon

Rocking "S" Ranch, Comancheria, Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2011 10:22 am    

Richie is a long time friend and has suffered immensely healthwise the last couplc years. He continued to play in local bands here even though his health was failing. His death was no surprise to many of us and i personally believe a relief to Richie himself.

He had lost a lot of his old Pi$$ and Vinegar he's always been famous for in his music life. Richie was the first steel player Jr. Knight worked with as a lead guitar player. Many stories should be forthcoming about their relationship. Richie found them hilarious and would set the entire crowd laughing at most of his tales of his relationship with Jr.

Mixed emotions here, I hate to see him go but I know he surrered tremendously in the last year. Rest easy our friend and I'll miss the weekly phone calls.

Tom, thanks for the post and I'll put the obit on here as soon as this local rag publishes it.

Dovie and phred Shannon

Think about it!!
Fred Shannon

Post  Posted 18 Jun 2011 8:02 pm    

Evidenlty Richie had a severe problem on the 16th and Cleo, his lady friend, called 911 and Richie was taken to a hospital in Snyder where he was diagnosed with complete liver failure and the rest of his vital organs were 'shutting down'. He refused life support and passed some 40 minutes after his arrival there. There will be no memorial so I am told, his wish.

I was able to get in touch with Jr. knight in Wink Texas and I'm certain he will post some feelings here when he gets back home. Folks, this man donated his entire grown up life to country music and his passing leaves a big hole in our group especially in this area.

phred

Think about it!!
Junior Knight

Eustace Texas..paddle faster..I hear Banjos...
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2011 10:04 am    

You are so right Phred..a GREAT BIG hole in the steel world that will never be filled! Richie is the reason I play steel now...RIP ole friend.
texsteelman2@yahoo.com

Jagwire Strings
Facebook/ Junior Knight, Steel Guitar
Frances Wright

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2011 6:56 pm     Richie Dell

Hello -- I am Richie Dell's daughter-in-law -- would like to respond to posts that I found on your website regarding my father-in-law's funeral arrangements - my husband, his oldest son and last surviving next of kin, would finally like to hear from his Dad's friends and musicians about his life. Arrangements are:

Visitation will be Wednesday, June 22 at C. Richard McCauley Funeral Home, 101 S. 4th Street, Youngwood, PA 15697 from 1pm - 9pm
Funeral Service will be at the funeral home on Thursday, June 23 - would have been his 78th birthday - 11am -- Veterans Service will start at approximately 10:30, burial to follow at Westmoreland Memorial Park in Greensburg, PA

He has come full circle, and is home again. We can be contacted at wrightfwright@aol.com.

Richie always liked a big party, and enjoyed his life to the fullest.
Jimmy Youngblood

Post  Posted 20 Jun 2011 7:59 pm    

Tom .. so sorry to hear about your friend Richie. We've gotten to the time in our lives where we lose many of our friends and family. Hope all is well with you.
Fred Shannon

Post  Posted 21 Jun 2011 8:53 am    

Received from and reply to email from Richie Dell's son and daaughter in law:

I saw your post on the forum and will apologize for my error publicly. My information came from a man who lived next door to Richie and Cleo. I travelled from my home up to the lake where they lived and Cleo was not there and she hasn't answered the phone no I have. We were worried about her because she was totally dependent on Richie. Monroe Casey, the band leader Richie has played for for many years, finally got in touch with her a couple of days ago and she evidently is going to be alright. I'm glad that you are having a memorial for Richie, he deserved more than he asked for. He's said many times when he dies just kick his 'ass' out in the middle of the street because he didn't want anyone having to pay to put him away. But that's just Richie. I've known him for over 30 years and he was a good friend to all of us musicians. Always willing to help with anything the bunch of us decided to do. One can't count the many times he's travelled to play for someone's benefit. Just a damned good guy in my opinion. His health had been failing immensely in the last couple of years and I really didn't get to see him as much as before. He seemed to hang around the house on the lake more and didn't come to town. Walmart maybe once or twice a week. That's about all I know to tell you now. I'll certainly miss his 'hell raisin' with me and the rest of the guys but I think probably he's much more at ease now and no pain for certain. Stay in touch.

Fred shannon

-----Original Message-----
From: wrightfwright@aol.com [mailto:wrightfwright@aol.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 7:53 AM
To: fjshannon1@suddenlink.net
Subject: Richie Dell

Hello -- we saw your comments regarding Rich -- my husband and I would love to hear from you. We have posted his funeral arrangements on the website.

Richard E. Dell, Jr. and Frances Wright

Think about it!!
Ray Jenkins

Gold Canyon Az. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2011 4:29 pm    

So sad to hear of his passing,Richie and I did a duo in Chandler Az.I played bass for him and went on the road together,all in the late 70's.He was always a real hoot to be around,knew how to handle a crowd and keep them entertained.Rest in peace dear freind,the pain is over and a new heavenly eternal life is beginning.