| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  "Father's Day Sunday"
Kenny Martin

Chapin, S.C. USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2011 4:46 pm    

I thought it would be cool for everyone to post a picture of their father's in honor of Father's Day coming this sunday.
My daddy played lap steel, guitar and pedal steel. He was and is my hero! I miss him very much! Sad

Thanks to my good friends Tommy White, Buck Reid and JayDee Maness, i made it through a hard time when i lost him. These guys called me and stayed in touch to make sure i was ok! Awesome guys right there! Whoa!

Couldn't make it without them! Thx guys! Here's my hero!
Love you daddy! Miss you! Happy Father's Day!

Lubbock, Texas
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2011 8:23 pm    

Thats great Kenny, my Dad was a great steel player too. He was playing with Slim Whitman when I was born, also played with Bill Mack and a lot of other notable stars.. Lost him 20 years ago, long time now...
Kenny Martin

Chapin, S.C. USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2011 4:35 am    

Thx Wally!

I can still smell the Camel Cig and coffee sometimes when my daddy was showing me a few things!

All the best man!!!.....kenny

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2011 6:07 am     Remembering...

Hey brother,

I lost mine a long time ago now, he passed at 47, I was 21 and had already been away from home in the service for a couple of years. Burned himself up with cigs and booze, but I remember the good times. Once caught so many Spanish Mackerel off the Gulf Coast at Port Isabel, Texas, I thought my brother, Dad and I were going to have to swim to the beach. Filled up the bottom of a 14 foot runabout, almost to the point of sinking. He was fearless and expected the same from us two boys. I think I was about 10 years old at the time. It made me hard, but I'm better now.

It is good to remember the good times...

Be well, buddy...
Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2011 6:23 am    

Kenny,
Thanks for sharing your dad with us! He's with you everyday heart & soul.
Happy Father's Day to you and everyone whose a dad!

I'd post a picture of my Dad if I knew how. Smile
Kenny Martin

Chapin, S.C. USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2011 5:45 pm    

Thx Theresa! I met your dad at my one and only trip to St. Louis 2 years back! It was my first and so far my only trip ever to the steel show!

I shook your daddy's hand as he walked by! I'm sure as with most that was there, he didn't even know i played but what a nice smile and a thank you when i said it was a pleasure to meet him!

Not to get off track but your brother is the last of the Big 4 i have not met! Buddy, Lloyd, Tommy i have!
Hope to one day!

Tell Greg he is still my #1 guitar hero! Whoa! Cool

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2011 8:54 am    

Brother Kenny,

Thanks for a great idea. My dad, Fiddlin' Howard Cunningham, is a fairly well known regional fiddle player and started the music program at the Georgia Mountain Fair in 1957 and it grew to the 3,000 seat venue that is used for many national acts today. I owe him so much for the talent I inherited and untold hours of musical coaching.

He taught me to play rhythm guitar and I backed him at fiddle contests and played bass in his bands. As a teenager, when I was learning to play steel, he would spend countless hours playing rhythm guitar for me to practice.

We played together semi-professionally from when I was 10 until recently. Sadly, he is slipping and I guess his playing days are over.

Here is a picture of him and his twin fiddle partner, Jerry Moore on the right, taken in 2006.

Here is just a snippet of the band a few years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/user/billcunn?feature=mhee#p/u/3/t8H3y24aHoE

I love my friend, my dad.
Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2011 9:41 am     Wow...

I enjoyed that Bill... music with your Dad, it doesn't get much better then that. I remember you telling me about him and it showed how much you had in common musically... Happy Fathers Day...
Larry Robbins

Fort Edward, New York
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2011 10:02 am    

my dad around 1927...about 8yrs old...lost him in 96..i miss you Dad!!

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2011 12:38 pm    

I believe that I'm one of the luckiest men alive, my pop is still going strong at nearly 91, driving for the Food Bank and hiking the hills whenever he can. We're hoping to take another road trip to Alaska this summer to visit Stu and other old friends, this photo was taken last August on his 90th.
Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2011 4:22 pm    

This was my Daddy, during WW2, in his Fleet Air Arm uniform. (That was the British equivalent of the Navy Air Force. Notice the propellor on his sleeve that denotes that he was a flier.) He would never talk about his navy days fighting the Japs, so his exploits are mostly unknown to me, other than a few humorous anecdotes.
He wasn't a musician, but he was a great enthusiast for Hawaiian music and I grew up listening to his collection. Ironically, I didn't know it as a lad, but I came to know some of the people on the records many years later.
He passed away in 1981, and I miss him a lot.

Last edited by Alan Brookes on 21 Jul 2011 9:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Bob Vantine

Freeville, New York, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2011 1:35 am    

This is my Dad & me @ his 80th birthday in 2005 . Dad went home in September 2008. He played harmonica . Better yet allowed me to follow my music addiction . During my late teens & those 5 gig weekends he was the best "bus" driver for the last 2 each week (10 months straight).
MISS YOU DAD !

Peavey Guitars
Bill Duncan

Lenoir, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2011 3:49 am    

My Dad with Bill Monroe in 1975.....I miss you Dad. My Dad was a purebred Bluegrass picker, no cords, no amps. Just Martin guitars, Gibson banjos and mandolins a Dobro "Houndog", and one microphone where you took your turn.

SC/TN
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2011 5:23 am    

Hey Kenny,

Great idea. Like you, and many others on the forum, my first venture into music was with my dad. He was the ideal dad, coached baseball, coached football, and got me started playing golf, but our real connection was the music. Here is a picture of my first music hero, me and some guy we were working with on this night in 1969 or "70. Yea I know, I haven't changed a bit have I?
Kenny Martin

Chapin, S.C. USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2011 6:43 am    

Wow, thx guys for the post! I read everyone!
It's sad but at the same time it feels awesome to see a picture of my Daddy!

The best time playing music with him for me was when i was 14 years old.

His band was playing at the Ridge Jamboree in Batesburg, S.C. and it was broadcast on AM radio.
My daddy sang and his favorite song to sing was Green Green Grass Of Home!

The drummer told me to sneak behind him and play the steel when he stood up to sing and the fiddle player told me to take the ride they put in it. I told them he would kill me but they said don't worry.
Shocked
Well, i did and when i kicked the ride off he turned around and stopped playing the flat top and watched me. I knew i was dead!

When they left the stage, he and the drummer told me to step out back of the auditorium. My daddy poured me a drink in a wax dixie cup "man"s drink" and looked at me and said "That steel belongs to you now you play it better than i do" Whoa!

I will never forget it!!! Love you daddy! Miss you! Sad

Cedar Rapids, IA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2011 2:15 pm    

wow kenny, I liked that story.