| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pedal steel is a dying art?
David Hartley

Post  Posted 13 Jun 2011 10:23 am    

Hi, I just this second had this comment to one of my videos.

"Pedal steel guitar is a dying art. Thanks for keeping it alive guys."

I just wondered whether some of you agree with this person?
Fred Shannon

Rocking "S" Ranch, Comancheria, Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2011 10:33 am    

As Jeff Dunham's "Walter" would say:

DUMB ASS!!!! Mad Mad Devil

phred

Think about it!!
Mike Archer

church hill tn
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2011 10:37 am     I dont think so

I dont think steel guitar is a dying art
ive heard this staetment for 25+ years
im mean I dont play steel because im hoping for that big country music Gig in fact ive already done that and it was great......but thats over
I play steel because I love it I enjoy it
and I am still learning after 30 years
so for me as long as im able no it wont die out
and I think others may feel the same way
you for instance Dave look at all the great videos
and things you have done for the steel guitar
I do my instruction dvds because I want to help
players and so have you... all these players on here
even some young ones no they want to learn
it wont die... we wont let it my friend
Mike
Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2011 10:48 am    

The time children spend behind their computers.. has kept them in the house instead of out playing games .
My guitars kept me in the house, busy, and out of most trouble. It's my constant companion and friend and has been for all of my life.

It's not dead, it's that kids want to play well right now..not spend their time learning how.

Last edited by Bo Borland on 13 Jun 2011 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 13 Jun 2011 10:50 am    

I think many of us here today will be gone long before the steel is. Shocked
Charlie Moore

Deville, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2011 11:38 am     Dying

I think what was mint is that steel players are getting up In age and the younger guys and girls are not taking interest in the psg,I think because it Is very hard to learn to play and It take's a long(lot)of time..
And if you listen to "country"radio you don't hear many solo's on steel,thank God for steelers like Paul Franklin for MAKING the psg fit whats being recorded today..Charlie....

Post  Posted 13 Jun 2011 11:45 am    

It's that moaning whiny sound that make folks think it's dying. Laughing

Last edited by Stuart Legg on 13 Jun 2011 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jaclyn Jones

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2011 11:55 am    

Every thing that stops growing dies. It is up to the musician with the bar in hand, to evolve with trends and keep taking the steel into new teritory. There are very few instruments with the tonal range and voicing of the pedal steel. Slide On!
David Hartley

Post  Posted 13 Jun 2011 12:55 pm     Hi again

Interesting comments so far, thanks, and keep them coming.

As far as the last part of this persons comment, "thanks for keeping it alive guys".......
Well, I still love it, especially picking with John and backing Fran with tracks and steel, and I am still alive, so I suppose I am keeping "alive" what I enjoy the most...?
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2011 1:14 pm    

No, not dying. I see it on late night TV and PBS programs like Austin City Limits, Woodsongs, etc. These are sometimes obscure artists. I give lots of credit to the guys playing and adapting steel to various styles of music. This stuff is probably not mainstream, but it could very well be at some point.

Also, some of the "young" tv series feature background music by groups using pedal steel in one context or another, so I don't think it'll die as long as there are open minded musicians, producers etc. who love the sound of the steel guitar.

It's on a lot of the new country coming out these days too...it's alive and well to the chagrin of the doomsayers.
Herby Wallace

Sevierville, TN, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2011 1:23 pm     Steel Guitar

Well, I guess I have a bad attitude but I do know in the part of the Country which is called East Tennessee that steel guitar is not near as popular as it used to be. Most of the so called country bands and shows do not use steel anymore. I always played 6 or 7 nights a week regularly until about 9 years ago and things started changing. I have been told several times from various people doing the hiring that steel guitar was old fashioned and a thing of the past. I even had a show booked a couple of years ago with a band at a church and was told that they didn't want a steel guitar in the church as the younger people wouldn't like it. Now, I am not saying it is dying but to the general public it is not being heard as much as in the past. I am grateful for all the steel guitar shows which do help keep it alive as that is about the only places I get a chance to play anymore. It has really shocked me to see what has happened as when I was 16 years old still in school, I turned down jobs all the time because steel guitar was in such demand that even though I was just 16, there were not enough steel players to fill all the jobs that were available. I'll shut up now but I wanted to add my 2 cents which probably doesn't mean that much.

Herby Wallace
Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2011 1:30 pm     Re: Pedal steel is a dying art?

David Hartley wrote:
"Pedal steel guitar is a dying art. Thanks for keeping it alive guys."

I just wondered whether some of you agree with this person?

Nah, it'll always have its niche, like the accordion or the harmonica.
Richard Park

Alexandria, Virginia
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2011 1:35 pm    

I remember back in the early 17th Century they used to same the same thing about the cello.
Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2011 1:38 pm    

It's ALIVE more today! Smile
Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2011 1:56 pm    

it's the perception that all pedal steel is the same old school old style

But it's not true
Roger Edgington

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2011 1:58 pm    

Steel is alive in Texas for young and old,as is fiddle. Most country bands around here have steel and fiddle and MAYBE lead guitar and piano. Im lucky. Our band,"Billy Mata and The Texas Tradition" has steel,lead,fiddle(sometimes 2),and on large jobs piano along with upright bass and drums. I hope this trend spreds out more.

It doesn't come easy. Go the extra mile and develop a band people will support and don't want to miss. My friend Bobby Koefer told me "It don't matter if you have Chet Atkins on stage if you can't sell it". We carry a nice pa and light system, and our own sound man,dress nice,all songs are arreanged with a powerful singer/front man. Billy can call a song and start counting. It's a lot of work,but we stay pretty busy. I know it's tougher in different parts of the country. DUI laws and gas prices make it even harder.
Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2011 2:01 pm    

Theresa Galbraith wrote:

Amen Theresa!
Why the heck would I make them and then haul them halfway across the world to deliver it to the owner if it was dying?
It will never die if we don't let it.
Like Jaclyn said: Slide on!

Herby, when player of your stature speaks, you can bet it means a whole lot! Please, Herby weigh your words carefully!
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2011 2:02 pm    

Reading the comments I have empathy...but the fact of the matter is many many things have changed in the past 5, 10 or 15 years. It's not directed at Country Music although Country Music and Steel guitars has taken a big hit.

Along came the internet, along came YouTube, along came downloaded music..along came video games , along came Satellite TV and Reality TV...All the things that many of us who are a bit older look back on as "good days" has progressed into "NEW Good Days"...

Is the Steel guitar a dying art ? Maybe, probably more un-noticed , un-known. The style of music that it is most connected with may very well have fallen off a cliff but that's only one piece of the puzzle.

In our area , the Dance circuit, all the bands have Steel players... even the one I'm in !

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Last edited by Tony Prior on 13 Jun 2011 2:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
Joe Miraglia

Jamestown N.Y.
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2011 2:07 pm    

Theresa Galbraith wrote:

YES it is ALIVE! Playing gigs around Western NY.,I've noticed that the young ones do like Steel Guitar, the rock band players come over to me and say " Wow a steel guitar,wished I could play one"

If old country can't keep it alive maybe Rock and roll will. Joe

www.willowcreekband.com
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2011 2:36 pm    

Herby makes some good points. That a player of his calibre doesn't get calls for consistent work is indeed disturbing.

Guys my age and older can probably remember when there were clubs all over featuring country bands with steel guitar.

Around Louisville, places like Doc Holliday's, Lemon Tree Lounge and others along the strip had live bands 6 or 7 nights a week. Do Drop Inn, Village Pub around town too.

On the weekends, typically Thu-Sat, dozens, maybe even a hundred or more places had bands with steel guitar. That's gone from here, probably forever.

To that end I would say, there is no question that there is not as much work in the clubs and venues around town for steel players as there was 40 years ago. I think that's a separate issue as to whether it's a dying art or not though.

Looking at least a couple dozen manufacturers listed here on the forum, with a new one or two coming along every year or so, it does appear that they are still being sold in reasonable numbers. JMO.

Last edited by Jerry Overstreet on 13 Jun 2011 2:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
Herby Wallace

Sevierville, TN, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2011 2:38 pm     Steel Guitar

Well, here I go again. Maybe it's just this area I live in, but in Pigeon Forge, TN that has several multi-million dollar music theaters, there are only two that have steel guitar and both of those players have to play several instruments. I played Dollywood back in the nineties for 7 years and at that time there were 3 steel players, including myself working in the park. Now, there is only one who is Stoney Stonecipher who has been in the same show for quite a few years, but none of the other bands at Dollywood use steel guitar anymore. Believe me, I try my best to keep a positive attitude but that is it for steel guitar in this area which is supposed to be noted for country and bluegrass music.

Herby Wallace
Dave Lounsbury

Narrowsburg,NY.12764
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2011 3:46 pm    

No way !! the good old boys clubs have taken a beating and steel is hotter than ever to, " find your own way " . The masters know who they are and Im sure missing no meals.
David's fishing with dynomite !

Dave L
Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2011 3:53 pm    

Herby,
Sad to hear it hasn't got better in your area and in some other parts of the country.
Artist are using steel on records and live situations everyday.
American Idol and other shows are a plus and I'm seeing more and more young players with these artist.
It's great you and others in the business are going to the steel shows. I do wish more young players were asked to play. They would like to be showcased as well.
They love to play and would bring extra excitement to the stage! Steel isn't a dying art, as I see it. Best wishes to you!
Theresa
Bill Moran

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2011 6:08 pm    

Smile

Last edited by Bill Moran on 13 Jun 2011 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Christopher Woitach

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2011 8:33 pm    

It's appalling when great musicians like Mr. Wallace aren't getting work, and it is true that most of us professional musicians have had to adjust to a very different work climate. I've had to travel further, and more regularly, than I used to. I've always worked with a variety of musicians, playing a wide variety of musical styles, and that's kept me working, thankfully. I teach, as well. and that gets me through the lean times.

All this is seemingly off topic, but the point is that live music in general is having a tough time, and that certainly affects steel guitar, at least in terms of getting work for the steel players. This is true for all of us, regardless of which instrument we play.

As far as the "art of pedal steel" goes - I, for one, don't define the art of playing an instrument in terms of a particular style of music. I've seen many posts that juxtapose the lack of pedal steel in modern country music with the instrument's seeming demise. In my opinion, although classic country music has played a huge role in the development of pedal steel, and, also my opinion, that special relationship will continue regardless of changing tastes, the pedal steel is far too versatile of an instrument to define that narrowly. The beautiful Bach, intriguing avant-garde, burning bop, jump blues, sacred steel/jam band music and God knows what else that is being played on this amazing instrument pretty much guarantees that the "art" of pedal steel is hardly dying, just growing more diverse and interesting.

For myself, I did buy an expensive and powerful instrument, and have every intention of writing and playing new music on it, as well as making money playing jazz, swing, and anything else anyone will pay me to play, just like I do on guitar.