| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Just think "I could have been a contender"
Bo Legg

Post  Posted 4 Jun 2011 7:42 am    

My son Stuart figured the Hidden Secret to becoming a great PSG player many many years ago while trying to transcribe songs I needed to learn while I was out on the road.
He tried to tell me the secret but I wouldn't listen.
Stuart would get any kind of note for note PSG tab he could get from all the great PSG players.
He acquired and studied so much tab that eventually he could transcribe fairly accurate note for note from the recordings.
He would listen and pull out only what he considered a great licks and placed them into a categorized archive.
He would then tab out ad lib solos intros etc., that would sound like one particular great players licks or just pick licks from all the greats that would fit a particular style.
The hidden little secret is copy copy copy those licks and paste paste paste them into your playing. But of course with taste and practice practice practice.
If I had only listened! Just think "I could have been a contender"
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 4 Jun 2011 8:35 am    

Quote:
That graph of the neck with my coped minus the colors was the original spread sheet that Stuart made up and used when he transcribed the steel parts from songs I needed to learn while I was out on the road so he wouldn’t tab things that my coped couldn’t handle.
He was a great help to me in that respect.
My one regret is that I wouldn’t take the time to learn most of those things he transcribed for me and I’m sure it angered him when I would just wing the song with my usual don’t give a dang picking.
Stuart used to go back in his tab achieves and dig up a bunch of great steel licks and put them together forming an ad lib solo that would knock your socks off. But then I wouldn’t take time to learn them because I didn’t at that time realize this was the hidden little secret to becoming what is considered a great PSG player.

Bo, this is a quote from the other thread you have open right now which says essentially the same thing, so what's your point here? Confused
Bo Legg

Post  Posted 4 Jun 2011 10:26 pm    

Barry this topic is an off topic thread of another topic Posted with the purpose of separating from the other topic in hopes that in doing so the other topic would get back on track.
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 5 Jun 2011 6:43 am    

Thanks for clearing that up .. Laughing
Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 5 Jun 2011 8:28 am    

Barry Blackwood wrote:
Thanks for clearing that up .. Laughing
Barry maybe I can help you out with your Jokes.
"Bo thanks for clearing that up" is not funny.
"Barry take a laxative and clear up your mind" now see that's funny. Just trying to be helpful.
Back on topic.
I suggest that a newbie learn good technique and start instantly working on learning all those old great licks and applying them.
That and a lot of practice is the secret to success.
Sherman Willden

Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2011 9:07 am    

Thank you, Bo. I'm still dependent on tab for some things, but I can usually add flavor afterward. Thank you for the input.
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 5 Jun 2011 1:36 pm    

Stuart, who invited you in on this discourse anyway? Is Bo not capable of replying on his own? His statement struck me as funny because it's so ridiculously convoluted - so much so, that I thought that he was intentionally trying to be funny. Go back and read it again - it'll give you something to do for the rest of the day besides being a complete and utter nuisance here. Razz
Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 6 Jun 2011 8:37 am    

Barry I insulted your intelligence by not realizing that you recognized Bo's attempt at sarcasm.
Looking back I see that your reply in that context was funny. Hope you get well soon. Having a nuisance to your Utter must be very painful. Razz
I could have been a contender but I was to content.
My goal in life is to just be good and not necessarily at any one thing.