| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bernie Leadon's Copedent?
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2011 10:52 pm    

Does anyone know what copedent Bernie Leadon used when he played with the Eagles?

Melbourne Australia
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2011 2:25 am    

I didn't realise Bernie played steel guitar . Is this on recordings Bob or just on live shows ? He was the best Eagle IMHO .
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2011 6:53 am    

Bernie used an 11 string ZB, tuned to the familiar 10 string E9 plus a low E string. I remember it only on the Tom Waits tune Old 55.
Brian Herder

Philadelphia, Pa. USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2011 7:30 am    

I think Ol' 55 was Al Perkins, but Bernie Leadon played on My Man on the same Lp and I think played some steel on every other lp they made when he was in the band.
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2011 8:30 am    

Brian is right...However both of these songs the steel guitar tone is very similar,I've always assumed they were both ZB's and two of my all time Eagle favorites! Winking
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Rick Schacter

Portland, Or.
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2011 9:21 am    

Brendan Mitchell wrote:
I didn't realise Bernie played steel guitar . Is this on recordings Bob or just on live shows ? He was the best Eagle IMHO .

Bernie Leadon played the steel guitar track for "Best Of My Love".

I've been able to get most of the licks from "Best Of My Love" with my steel guitar which uses an Emmons set up.

Rick
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2011 10:02 am    

"My Man" sounds really different, which is why I asked the question. I thought that maybe he was playing Sneaky Pete's B6th. They were both in the Flying Burrito Brothers, so I'm sure he was aware of the tuning.

Post  Posted 22 Apr 2011 10:27 am    

I saw Bernie use an S-10 Emmons live back in the mid 70s. It looked this one but with a standard 3+4.

See ... Smile

Like most of us, he may have used a few different ones.
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2011 2:28 pm    

He recorded with a ZB. Al Perkins turned him on to them. There is a studio picture floating around somewhere showing that.
Brian Herder

Philadelphia, Pa. USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2011 5:48 pm    

Here's Bernie playing his ZB on Ol' 55 live. I always loved this tune, which oddly enough was written about a friend of mine.. found that out after he had died, watching Tom Waits on Storytellers. Anyway, Bernie doesn't get any camera time until the very end. Anyone know if he still plays steel?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaC_cChs6hA&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2011 6:12 pm    

That's his green ZB.
Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 23 Apr 2011 10:03 am    

I have a friend who works with Bernie,As soon as she can get an answer I will post.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Russ Tkac

Post  Posted 23 Apr 2011 5:24 pm    

I had a feeling he'd go bare fingers. Might explain the tone b0b was hearing. Smile
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2011 4:20 am    

Cool vid... Such monstrous talent in that band from its first album, and as we speak.

Gotta love Meisners $100 Hagstrom bass..
I love it when guys that can afford any instrument they want, play a low ender that works for them.

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2011 9:47 am    

i agree bob. great to see how into it they were back then. like they cared about the music. and now they're still really into it. much better band than most others. and they present themselves with class, unlike most nashville acts these days.
i like it when people use weird funky instruments and still make beautiful music...once again showing the player as being more important than the instrument.

i've heard many interesting(!) stories of behind the scenes eagles from old friend al garth who played with them some. however, i've never heard why bernie left...and randy. anyone have any info on that?
Mitch Adelman

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2011 9:58 am    

I used to play bluegrass with Bernie's younger brother Mark in Fla. right after Bernie and Randy left.He had Bernie's banjo.He told me two reasons: Henley-Frey: and the way they did business after success.What a shame!
Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2011 10:10 am    

Just for information (off topic), a brother of his played with Tom Petty before the Heartbreakers. He (Bernie) plays lap steel on one track on the Georgiades/ Leadon album on Asylum Records.

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2011 10:11 am    

thanx mitch. that fits with what al said. he also told me some things about messina i can't pass on.
Brian Herder

Philadelphia, Pa. USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2011 10:21 am    

What's Al Garth doing these days? I saw Loggins & Messina several times.. That was an incredibly good band.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2011 11:02 am    

Earnest Bovine wrote:
Bernie used an 11 string ZB, tuned to the familiar 10 string E9 plus a low E string. I remember it only on the Tom Waits tune Old 55.

Nothing unusual in his copedent, other than the low E string? How many knee levers? Did he raise his F# strings to G?

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2011 11:18 am    

brian..i haven't seen al for several years now and i've wondered what he's up to, also. funny guy. he lives up in b0b's part of the world.
he played sax and fiddle with a band i played with..the rangers.. on some konocti harbor gigs. i like ol' al!
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2011 12:52 pm    

b0b wrote:
Earnest Bovine wrote:

Nothing unusual in his copedent, other than the low E string? How many knee levers? Did he raise his F# strings to G?

Sorry b0b, I can't remember. We were on a lot of the same concerts, but I only talked with Bernie a few times. Bernie said he had bought the ZB from Al Perkins, so it probably had Al's setup. I did sit down behind that ZB a couple of times and I seem to remember that the pedals were in the "Jimmy Day" order (not sure tho), the pedals weren't easy to play, and the strings were covered with crud, which isn't surprising since he only played it about once a night, on Old 55. When they played Best Of My Love, they all 5 stood up front and played acoustic guitar. But maybe the first few times they played Best Of My Love, they might have done it with bass, drums & steel.
Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 24 Apr 2011 6:40 pm    

Got a response from Al Perkins thru my friend,Hope he doesn't mind...

Huum, Bernie's steel. Before the Eagle's "On The Border" lp, I actually helped him get a 10 string ZB Custom pedal steel...the kind Tom Brumley and I used. His tuning would probably have been the same as he used on "The Best Of My Love" which would have been an E9th chromatic tuning. The one I played on was "Ole '55 Winking
steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2011 3:35 am     Kudos Stu

Stu, you played on "Ole 55"? Very cool! I was living in Holland when I heard that album and loved the steel in that song. Where did you guys record? stevet
Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 25 Apr 2011 3:51 am    

Steve,I wish that I played on that!...That's a response from Al Perkins he played on it,My friend in Nashville works with him from time to time so I had her ask Al about Bernie's guitar and that's what he sent back.Didn't mean to confuse anyone. Confused