| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  '71 Emmons P/P, the weight is no longer a problem!
Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2011 10:03 am    

I love my ole '71 Emmons, but the older I get the harder it's been to carry around.

I know I've posted this before, but I thought we would re-visit the issue. I now have GIG BAGS to carry the instrument in.

One for the guitar body,

and another for the legs & pedal bar.

Makes it very managable and my back likes it alot better.

both bags cost about $70. NOT BAD!

Nick
Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2011 12:22 pm    

A good gig bag is a good idea.
Where did you get these, what brand, etc? I haven't found any I like yet.
Thanks!
Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2011 12:57 pm     one notch up from a gig bag is....

Whatever happened to Danny Bentley and his fiberboard cases? Did he quit making these?

Post  Posted 22 Apr 2011 1:45 pm    

Is this only practical if you have a mica guitar?
Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2011 2:29 pm    

Doug,
The bigger bag (for the guitar body) is a keyboard bag available at most music stores. I got this one as close as possible to the dimensions of the guitar body. . .also I use foam pads around the sides and bottom for protection.
The other bag for the legs and pedal bar came from Hibbett Sporting Goods. It's designed for baseball bats, but it works perfect for my needs.

I still have the regular hard case for this guitar but putting it in a 2 unit gig bag system really makes it easier to carry. I DO try to be extremely careful when using it. Smile

Nick

Last edited by Nick Reed on 22 Apr 2011 5:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
Paul Norman

Washington, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2011 3:35 pm    

Won't it lay down in the trunk without dis assembly?
Then you will not have to reassemble. I have a minivan. Mine stands up behind the rear seat.
Perfect.
bob drawbaugh

scottsboro, al. usa
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2011 4:08 pm    

Nick, why not just covert that old dinosaur to a keyless guitar. It would look better, sound better and it would weigh less. Problem solved and everything in one case. Winking
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2011 5:24 pm    

It would be a cold day in hell before I ever put a $3000.00 instrument in a "gig bag". Guaranteed damage.

Last edited by Kevin Hatton on 22 Apr 2011 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2011 5:25 pm    

Kevin,
Hell mines worth $6000. . .steel guitars can get damaged in a good quality CASE as well. Just ask Joe Barcus about that. I only use the soft bags in certain circumstances where I'm in my Mustang and handling it myself.
Bob,
As you may have already heard. . . .
I t-totally despise KEYLESS Steel Guitars. Laughing
Joseph Barcus

Volga West Virginia
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2011 5:46 pm    

this is true, and truck drivers that dont speak English just toss your stuff off the back of a truck that was wrapped really well but not well enough for idiots

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2011 6:21 pm    

I agree about keyless guitars. I'm in the despise club also. Here is a light weight hardshell alternative with wheels. The body case only weighs 11 pounds. 9 pounds with out wheels as opposed to 21 pound single case. Wheels make transporting a breeze.

Last edited by Kevin Hatton on 22 Apr 2011 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2011 6:39 pm     Clueless About Keyless

Bob, some dudes are totally clueless about the advantages of keyless. There allways will be a "World is Flat" or "The Moon Landing Was Staged" minority. That's OK, it leaves more of those keyless steels for the rest of us. Cool stevet
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2011 7:37 pm    

Yeah, and some dudes can't hear the sterile sound of a steel once you cut off the keyhead. The longer the better by the way. That along with a short body guitar will kill tone.
steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2011 9:28 pm     Buddy Emmons could hear the sterile sound of a keyless

Kevin, do you mean dudes like Buddy Emmons, who once commented how Jeff Newman's keyless sounded better than his own keyed "guitar". They were jamming together. I'll see if I can find that thread. Until then, maybe a read of this one might be in order. In it, guys who have both keyed and keyless of guitars from the same manufacturer weigh in on the supposed differences in addition to other variables

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=140326&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=75
Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2011 12:14 am    

Nick I have been using gig bags for a couple of years now due back problems, I use them for local gigs transported in the back seat of my car, I don't use the trunk since a friend of mine had his car rear ended by a bus, smashing his case(hard shell)to bits.I have a very light weight Scott Dixon case for gigs were I have to fly or use van.Despite Kevin"s comments, I believe it is a safe way to transport my guitar as long as you are careful, but then I would expect any case manufacturer to have this view.Perhaps if they suffered severe back pain themselves they might take a different view
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.
Hook Moore

South Charleston,West Virginia
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2011 3:01 am    

Great looking cases Kevin !!
Hook

Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2011 5:52 am    

Steve,
The DUDE was probably entoxicated the night he said that about Jeff's keyless. Laughing
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2011 6:15 am    

As much as Jeff Newman is revered, I've never heard him come close to Buddy's sound.

The PP Emmons have their own unique sound. I know, I had a 71 D-10 PP (Black of course) that I bought new and played for 11 years. No matter what people or other guitar makers say, they can't duplicate the PP Emmons sound.

But, how a guitar sounds is off topic. Nick's "two bag" system, with the right bags, is a good idea.
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2011 8:45 am    

One somewhat related question: why do people here in Forumland insist on arguing absolutes?

Bags vs. Cases? It's a trade-off, and what part of our entire lives, may I ask the congregation, does not have trade-offs?

1. Bags weigh less than wooden boxes. Score one point for bags.

2. Boxes offer more protection against risk, by the very nature of the rigidity and resistance to impact of their materials. Score one point for cases.

3. Bags cost less to manufacture and purchase than cases. Point: bags

4. See #2

On every venture out of the house, we assess the risks we may encounter (e.g. car insurance and seatbelts). If I had a gig close by with an easy load-in to the stage, and I wanted to take my Z-car in which space is quite limited, I might use a gig bag set for ease and convenience. And definitely only transported in my own vehicle with me loading, unloading, and driving.

If the gig involved a band trailer or the underside of a bus, no freakin' way a gig bag would I use. The level of risk is simply too high in those situations for anything other than a wooden case, preferably ATA quality.

But they are heavier, and with a flight case you have to transport a vastly heavier and more unwieldy item. Wheels or a handtruck, or roadies (more risk), are imperative. Again, the aforementioned trade-off.

FWIW, all my cases are 2 pc. sets of the ozite-covered plywood variety, with the exception of the LeGrande which has a single Forge flight-style case.

Use the right tool for the job, based on your determination of the requirements of the job.

BTW, I never heard a keyless guitar that flipped my switch. And I don't care for their non-traditional look. But I have a couple friends who are monster players on their keyless guitars, and if they're happy with those horns, I'm happy for them.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
bob drawbaugh

scottsboro, al. usa
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2011 9:00 am    

Nick, Have you considered a personal trainer? That way you could put that PP in a respected case and not look like a keyboard player going to the gig. Cool
Kirk Eipper

Arroyo Grande, Ca.
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2011 9:25 am    

When I worked for the now defunct 3rd Planet cases I had the shop make a gig bag for my D-10 P/P and It worked out great. It had 2' hard foam all around and a hard plastic lexan type material under the nylon right next to the foam. Very light and you can put it over your shoulder. Unfortunately, all these bags are manufactured in China and I don't know of anybody that manufactures these on a custom basis. Just my .02 cents.

How about some wheels for that case? Williams Guitar has a set that includes a handles that screw right on to the existing case.
'10 Williams 700 Series SD10 4+5/ '71 Emmons S-10 3+4/ '73 Emmons D-10 8+4/ GK MB 200/ Custom Tommy Huff Cabinets/ Webb 614-E/ Steelseat.com Pak-a-seat/ Magnatone and Fender lap steels/ Cobra Coil bars & Strings/ pod 2.0/ Peterson Tuners/Goodrich V.P./ Boss RV5/Teles and Martins

www.kirkeipper.com
Brendan Mitchell

Melbourne Australia
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2011 6:25 pm    

I agree with Nick on the soft bag being ok if you are carrying yourself .If other people have to handle it ...put it in a case .
As for keyless guitars , I put them in the same catagory as acoustics with cutaways : I don't like them . I am very traditional in my tastes but I don;t think I can help that .
Carl Williams

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2011 6:43 pm     To Each His Own...

Hey Nick,
Whatever works for you brother...it's your back and your convenience. Speaking of convenience, I decided a few years back to go with splitting up my NV400 (Boat Anchor) and Sho-Bud. I went with Rick Johnson on the new amp cabs and their superb! For the split cases, I went with Kevin Hatton's cases. (See Photo Below). Kevin as well as Rick were great to deal with and obviously have that "attention-to-detail" craftsmanship needed for this type of work. Hang in there Nick and hang onto your $6K steel! Smile
Here are my Hatton Cases:
David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2011 8:56 am    

Me driving
me backseat
me totem -
I can really see the point here. No I wouldn't trust it around anyone else, but I swear my Carter's case is heavier than the guitar! Rolling Eyes I already did the neck-fuse, now the sciatica is kicking up - I'd rather bag it if it'll keep me playing longer.
Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2011 9:26 am    

If in the back seat of my pickup: Heavily padded keyboard case and ABS (plastic) double shotgun case. Each weigh about 2 lbs. The former for the body and the latter for the pedals and legs.

In the bed of my pickiup: the OEM Case for the body, with the pedal rack and legs in the gun case.