| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hide It So Deep
Phil Caine

Essex, UK
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2011 1:12 pm    

Hi
If anyone can help me figure out what Al Perkins is playing on this beautiful tune I would be most grateful.Is it mostly B&C pedals? I just can't seem to get that crying sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeGuwZxXJPQ

Regards
Phil
Phil Caine

Essex, UK
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2011 7:02 am    

Hi Guys
Even the intro would help. I could mess around with the fills and break.

Thanks
Phil
Dana Blodgett

California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2011 12:17 pm     Hide it so deep

Hey Phil, I used to play this song years ago on a six string Martin. The song is in "A" Major. It's hard to see everything that Perkins is doing 'cause Stills is in the way. The intro sounds to me like a classic "kickoff at the 12th fret,sounds to me like a three note kickoff(possibly 4 notes) starting on the eight string (blocking the first three notes)..strike eighth string open (no pedals)sixth string open pedal in "B" pedal,strike fifth string open,Pedal in A&B strike strings 3,4&5, release pedals, strike strings 4&5,slide up to the 14th fret (A sus)- back to 12th fret pedal in A&B strike 4&5, release A pedal-strike string 6, strike strings 4&5 no pedals(open) slide down to 7th fret, pedal in A&B, slide to 9th fret strings 4&5 open(NO pedals E sus) slide to 7th fret strings 4&5 and he loses me at this point...but I think he's playin an E7th at the fifth fret(strings 5,6&8 pedal in "B" and engage "D" lever/E to Eb)and he slides off to an open position where he hits two or three notes(E/E7) and works his way back to the fifth fret A postion open,probably some wide grips and works his way lower in the scale at the fifth fret!
Phil, the intro is a play on E7th to A. 4/4 time, three bars after the tacet. then into the body of the song. It is basically A to A sus to E to E7 to A. Perkins repeats the classic "kickoff a few times(at the begining of each verse) later too. I'll mess with this song more later. Phil, experiment with some chromatic rundowns with the A&B pedals engaged to the E position at the 9th to 7th fret(3,4&5 strings). He also looks like he is playing up at the 17th fret also, maybe some Harmonics too!? I think that crying sound is all in the hands of the player!To me it sounds like he has quite a bit of treble and a little "dirty", maybe playing thru an old Marshall... I don't think he's using the B&C pedals but I could be wrong! I hope this helps! Good luck, Dana
'74 ShoBud 6140 3+4, Martins HD28,D-12-28, D-15,'65 Gibson LG-1, '77 Gibson Les Paul special dbl cut p-90's, Les Paul Special p-100's,Les paul Special Hybrid(maple top) hbkr's,'68 Fender Strat reissue, Fender Squire Jazz bass,Epi mandolin,Epi Wilshire '66 reissue, Kamaka Concert uke, 70's Kamaka Soprano Uke, Fender Super amp, Ampeg ba112 bass amp,60's harmony banjo,'00 Gibson SG Supreme
Phil Caine

Essex, UK
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2011 9:49 pm    

Hi Dana
Thanks so much. I will try out your ideas and let you know how I get on.
Thanks again,Phil.