| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Question/Advice-- Good Fuzztone for Sho Bud /Peavey
Todd Brown

W. Columbia , South Carolina
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2011 8:58 pm    

Need some advice on a good fuzz, something close to what Al Perkins was gettin' on the Fender in the Six Days on the Road video on youtube. Got ahold of a Boss DS 1 distortion pedal from my 6 string playing brother but even turning the levels down there's still too much distortion and it just doesn't sound good . Haven't had a chance to play with anything else so I need some advice on where to go. Some things I've heard about are Fulltone OCD and I think you can use the old school Bosstone ,whether the old or the new ones being made . I think you can get the levels down on the Bosstone and get that clear ,and thick, bright tone. Or maybe the MXR fuzz..Heres a link to the video I mentioned about Al perkins playing the Fender http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwPTYimAE7E

BTW I'm playing a ShoBud pro II original pickups, running through a Matchbox 7a ,going straight into the High Gain input on a N112. I run my L120 VP through the pre eq patch.

Any Ideas on what to use to get the fuzz and where in the chain should I put the fuzz or any other pedals I may play with?
I got the
Boss DS 1 distortion
ps-5 super shifter
eh-2 enhancer
ge-7 equalizer
and ceb-3 bass chorus

The eq and the enhancer are really cool, fun to play through . Haven't really figured out the shifter and the bass chorus.

Thanks for all your help !!!
Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2011 7:26 am    

Getting fuzz on a single coil pick up is a little trickier.
A humbucker makes it easier or more forgiving.
You will find some strings sound better than others and need to play in the areas that work best.
I don't use Fuzz, Distortion, Overdrive very much but if I did I would probably try an Earth Drive.
Now my current fuzz boxs that I use on the Telecaster are.
In order of preference.

OCD at 18 volts
Sparkle Drive
Tube driver

As far as the chain order I would put compressor and fuzz first and the echo, EQ, enhancers after.

Another trick for good fuzz is to place the fuzz before your volume pedal so you can get full fuzz at any volume or with the fuzz after the V.P. when you turn down the volume the fuzz will become less fuzzy.
Todd Brown

W. Columbia , South Carolina
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2011 7:01 pm    

Thanks, Ken. Maybe I wasn't entirely clear . I'm not trying to run all these pedals at one time! I was just mentioning that I had these to play around with . I really am just trying to get that fuzz with whichever I go with + V.P. + Matchbox . What about the steeldriver , doesn't that have the fuzz + the matchbox in one unit ?
Ian Thompson

Brisbane, Australia
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2011 11:23 pm    

Hi Todd,

I just listened to the Youtube clip, and believe it or not I think that is a clean pedal steel! The sound on the entire clip is distorted - just listen to the violin solo, it has about the same level of distortion as the steel!

Having said that it still sounds good - and it's pretty easy to get that level of distortion on a guitar. I'm very new to the world of pedal steel (almost 2 weeks now!), but I've been playing electric guitar for ages, and getting great distortion sounds is one of my obsessions.

By the way, I think that what you're looking for isn't actually 'fuzz', but rather overdrive (the sound of a valve amp being driven a little hard). What we 6-stringers call 'fuzz' is way over the top distortion like Hendrix used - Sneaky Pete would use fuzz occasionally for solos in the Burritos (it comes in around the 60 sec mark in Devil in Disguise). And as you've found even a distortion unit (like the DS-1) with everything turned down is too over the top for what you want.

By the way having single coils is actually an advantage in getting fairly subtle overdrive, humbuckers always push things a little further. One factor in how much overdrive you get is how hot your signal is going into the pedal - if you're really pushing the signal level with your Matchbox it may drive the pedal too hard from the get go.

I've noticed a few guys on the forum have been saying good things about the Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Classic pedal (http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/stompboxes/sfx03_twin_tube/). I used to own one - and really regret selling it! For the sound you're after I'd say that this is a great way to go. It's basically a tube pre-amp in a pedal - and you can go from totally clean and glassy all the way to very distorted. If you play around with one of these I'd be really surprised if you didn't get the amount of drive you're after.

Good luck in the search - it's addictive enough looking for the clean sound you like, once you cross the threshold into 'dirty' sounds you're on a lifelong search for 'that special sound'...

Ian
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2011 3:58 pm    

there are lots of cheap distortion/fuzz boxes. just try what your friends have before you buy. i use an old ibanez fatcat which has worked for me for 20-30 years...it's not jangly...