| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Travel Tips
Christopher Wray

California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2011 1:10 pm    

Hello Friends,
I'm flying with my PSG for the first time this weekend and wanted to ask you guys if there are any tip I need to be aware of. I'm pretty sure they won't let me carry it on so I'll probably have to check it. I have an EMCI and a great case so I think I should be in good shape. Thoughts??

Thanks in advance,
Christopher
Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2011 2:39 pm    

Last time I flew, the airline allowed 1 carry on and two check ins for luggage, with a fifty pound weight limit per check in. They may charge you extra for anything over 50 lbs. The airline has a limit on how much total weight they can put on the plane, maybe you can call and reserve some of that spillover weight for your steel.
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2011 5:45 pm    

Christopher,This may help?Here in Alaska the only way that you can get to some places is to fly...unless you want to ruin your car on the AlCan.I take a picture of the steel guitar setup and place it inside the case because these ATF agents don't know what they're looking at,the picture helps,I also tell them this is very fragile and how I make my living and could they please be gentle,also include your cell phone number in case there is a problem.
Good luck!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 6 Apr 2011 5:56 pm    

One more thing my guitar in the case is 49LBS and I was charged $20.00
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Ian Sutton

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2011 6:28 pm    

Christopher,
I too will be flying with my steel for the first time as I am moving across the country in June. I spoke with a friend of mine that is a TSA agent. Some things he suggested, include "Fragile" stickers on the case, trying to gate-check your instrument to avoid all the conveyor belts involved in getting it from the ticketing area to the plane, and if your case has locks, or just want some added security, he recommended a locking luggage strap that has a TSA approved lock (otherwise, if it's locked with non-TSA approved locks, they will simple bust into the case. I hope this proved helpful. Good luck on your trip!
John Seitz

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2011 7:07 pm    

Freeze dry it then just add water when you get there. See u next week in LA.
Christopher Wray

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2011 10:45 am    

Thanks a lot guys! I'm flying Virgin America and have so far been blown away at the level of service. The gentleman who checked it talked to me for 5 minutes about how they handle musical instruments/equipment and it was pretty impressive. He said that no instrument ever touches a conveyer belt and that they are always transported by hand and carefully inspected by hand. I was told that their whole company relies on social media so they take every precaution in protecting gear. This is by far the most artist friendly airline I've ever flown. Now I'm sitting in the airport looking forward to those free drinks and movies. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Stu, great call on the pictures and note. I didn't have time to take pics but I left a note in there with my number and Informed them what it is.

Thanks again!!
Ian Sutton

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2011 10:55 am    

That's great to hear Christopher, i'll be flying Virgin America to the west coast with my steel, and every experience I've had with them before has been stellar. It's nice to hear that there is an airline that cares about people's belongings.
Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 8 Apr 2011 11:31 am    

Christopher,I hope that you and your guitar have a safe journey! Winking
Christopher Wray

California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2011 10:56 am    

Hello Friends,
Thanks again for the tips and encouragement! I just got back to LA from my trip and couldn't be happier with how things turned out. Virgin America is by far the most musician friendly airline I've ever flown. I actually felt inspired to blog about it. You can check it out below if interested. Just click on the "blog" tab after the site loads. Thanks again!!

http://christopherwraymusic.com