| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  northern virginia steel show
Charles Walker

Chester, Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2006 3:51 pm    

Well this was the best steel show I have been too in a long time. Hat's of to Chuck Cambell and Shirley for putting on one great show. I think Chuck probably lost about 30 lbs. because he did'nt stop moving the whole time. Russ and Laney Hicks were top notch and put on great show's Sat and Sun.We made the trip too see them live and was not disappointed. They are great. Mike Sweeney was not only great as alway's but as I got too meet and talk with him personally is a great human being. Their was nothing but great music all weekend long. We got too see some old friends and met some new one's. Thank's again Chuck for a great show and looking forward to next year
Jerry Fleming

Roanoke, Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2006 8:45 am    

I agree... what a wonderfull weekend. I would like to thank Chuck & Shirley, Sam and everyone for a very enjoyable jam. Great band, good friends, good food and great music... you just had to be there.

It was so nice to see many old friends and make some new ones. Everyone played great and we really enjoyed it.

Charles you are so right about Mike he is a wonderfull person and world class player second to none. I am blessed to call Mike my long time friend. His new Cd is a killer! Plug later...

Russ & Laney were so gracious as always and knocked us all out. Thanks again to all for a very enjoyable weekend to remember.

Jerry

[This message was edited by Jerry Fleming on 23 May 2006 at 09:47 AM.]

Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2006 9:37 am    

Charles,
It was my pleasure getting to meet you and ragg your brother together...LOL!!!!! I hope to see you again real soon. And Jerry it sure was great seeing you again and getting to meet your wife. I see that like me, You OVERMARRIED!!!!!!!! LOL!!!! BTW, You sounded wonderfull Sat. I hope to hear you again soon.
I also want to thank Chuck and Shirley for having us up there. It was a blast.

Mike
Laney Hicks

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2006 10:34 am    

Thanks Chuck and Shirley, for showing us all such a good time; you're special to us anyway, but we appreciate the hard work and especially the major hospitality! I wish I were sitting on your patio in the sun right now, as a matter of fact! Oh, Chuck, thanks for the great back-up band and for carving out some time for "me" to sing the songs I love. And, it was just great to be with friends!

Much love!
Laney (and Russ, except for the part about thanking you for "my" time...he's still not too keen on all that.)
Glen E. Lanning

La Grange, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2006 10:54 am    

Chuck & Shirley, Thanks for a great weekend and a chance to meet all the great players in the VA area. Russ & Laney as always put on a very good show. Mike, Thanks for the seminar on Friday - I'll try to live up to your suggestions. Again thanks to all - The band was terrific!

------------------
Past President, MASGA
New Mullen U12 (2004)
Dekley 8/4 (1984)
ShoBud Professional (1970)D10 8/4

[This message was edited by Glen E. Lanning on 23 May 2006 at 11:54 AM.]

[This message was edited by Glen E. Lanning on 23 May 2006 at 11:55 AM.]

Joseph V. Sapp

eastern shore, Md.
Post  Posted 23 May 2006 11:39 am    

Chuck and Shirley:
Thank you so much for another Great show, and the invitation to be part of it. I wouldn't have missed it for anything. The back up band,,,,,,WOW,,,the hours on stage and never stopped. Thanks to each of them. Nothing but fantastic. The Friendship towards Irene, Autumn and myself, means more than you'll ever know. God Bless and Thank you again.

Joe, Irene and Autumn
Terry McCumbee

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2006 2:52 pm    

Chuck & Shirley,
Thanks for a great weekend that won't soon be forgotten. The staff band was fantastic! The steel players you got together were outstanding. Mike Sweeney, Russ and Laney Hicks WOW! And Buddy to end the show! My wife, granddaughter and myself had a great time listening to all the players. Hope to see you next year. Thanks again for having Joe and me in the show. God bless.
Thanks,
Terry, Dee and Brittany

------------------
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 23 May 2006 7:04 pm    

This looks like a good place for me to add my thanks to Chuck Campbell for inviting me to participate in the festivities. I wish I could have been there for both days but was glad I could be there to play and listen to all the great pickers on Sunday. This show keeps getting better and better every year. Thanks to Chuck, Shirley and all the fine folks who make it possible. I'll definitely look forward to the next one!
Best,
Jimbeaux
Ray Walker

Smithfield, NC, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 24 May 2006 4:06 am    

Well there you have it....and just as I knew it would turn out...everyone had a great time. Chuck and Shirley are one class act and a heck of a team....and their love and devotion to friendships and us folks in the steel guitar world is unmatched. Thanks my friend for all you have done for us all. The band was great, and the performances were the best. Mike Sweeney was there to make sure we all know what tone is all about....and even had some pretty ladies hanging around his part of the show. Russ Hicks....playing his MSA Legend....what a set of hands...Buddy Charleton....WOW!!! All the players were great and you could see the fun they all had. And this little blonde gal....what's her name???? Yes yes yes....She can sure sing a tune that will keep your attention....Unfortunately Laney, it has now started causing problems here in North Carolina. First off....now Deb is starting to use some of your "lines" on me when we are on stage together.....and she is trying to muscle in on more singing time.....and worse...she now tells me when I don't get a lick just right HA!!!. Russ I don't think it's a good idea to let these two hang around each other. While the music and performances were great....the best part for me is the comradery and fellowship. Heck when you can get a bunch of friends together and the drummer is playing a cardboard box and we can sing harmonies and laugh and share it's the best of times. But...it's over for this year and like a kid at Christmas....I will wait until next time when we can all be together again with Chuck and Shirley and the gang. Finally let me thank my Brother Charlie his wife Martha and daughter Kim for doing such a great job on my set and most of all my loving and blushing bride Miss Debbie who has a voice like an angel....for doing such an honor as singing for me on my set. Until next time may God bless each and every one of you and keep you safe till we are all together once again in Northern Virgina.

Ray Walker
Joe Smith

Charlotte, NC, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2006 3:40 pm    

What a great show!! Thanks Chuck and Shirley for a wonderful time.

Jim Hartley

SC/TN
Post  Posted 25 May 2006 4:51 am    

Chuck and Shirley,

Thanks so much for your hospitality and all the hard work you put in to make such a great show. Thanks also for asking me to be a part of it.

Thanks also to everyone for the nice comments on the staff band. It was a real treat for me to work with Alan and Mark, they made my job pretty easy. Then when Jim Unger joined in, well, that was extra fun. Larry Villa joining in on guitar was a nice surprise, I haven't seen him for probably thirty years since my early playing days in Florida.

It's always great to see old friends and make new ones at these shows. There were quite a few folks I meant to visit more with, but, well......I was a little busy. It's Thursday morning and thankfully, I have almost all the feeling back in my backside and legs. I can't wait till next year.

See ya soon,
Jim
Alan Coldiron

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2006 4:54 am    

What a great time. One of my objectives was to get my wife pluged in. She met and gained new friends and had a really great time. Joe - she loved singing on your set. You and your wife are jewels. Sure will make it easier to go to more shows in the future. Thanks to Chuck (my new best friend)and Shirley for opening their home to us. As a kid my dad had a band and worked with national acts. This is what I remember country music being, not just the music but friends and family. What a kick to sing harmony with Laney (I enjoyed you too Russ but you didn't ask me to sing LOL . A special thanks to my band buddy drummer Jim Hartley. You hung in there and kept it fun. Can't wait to work with you again.