| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Crosby-Nash/Dean Parks
John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2005 6:43 pm    

Dean Parks is on the 2 month European tour with David Crosby and Graham Nash, and is playing his new Fessenden guitar on a few tunes. Check out www.crosbynash.com. There is a photo book on Amsterdam, and Dean is shown on page 6 with his Fessy.

Glad to have you as one of Jerry's kids, Dean .
David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2005 11:48 pm    

I was hoping to meet up with Dean in Paris,
but I will be way down south in Thailand at the time.
Oh well maybe next tour.
Ben Elder

La Crescenta, California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2005 11:26 pm    

Is he using his ZB volume pedal with it? As documented in a couple of my other posts (rants) around SGF in recent weeks, I've blathered about being scheduled to take my ZB D-10 up to Larry Petree in Bakersfield. Early in the morning of the day (the 8th of January for all you fiddle-tune and Johnny Horton aficionados) I was to go, I was rear-ended (car: total loss, no one's insurance will pay me a dime; ZB: at home, not loaded in yet) in the third day of a ceaseless downpour on the way to my weekly radio show. Call me a tow truck; call me a taxi; call me George Jones--no show that day.)

I was also supposed to take Dean Parks' volume pedal to Larry on my way to Bfd. Dean told me he was rehearsing to go on tour and couldn't get away himself and now that I know how high the stakes were (I knew Dean wouldn't be going out with any shmoes, but I didn't know (or hear) that it was C-N), I feel extra bad, not that a $7000 setback doesn't already have me wearing black. I hope and trust FedEx was able to cover for me.

[This message was edited by Ben Elder on 14 February 2005 at 02:25 AM.]

Dean Parks

Sherman Oaks, California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2005 2:53 pm    

Ben-

I sent it to Larry and he took care of it and got it right back to me, unbelievably fast.

At NAMM, I picked up a new Carter volume pedal... a pot pedal, but pretty low profile.. and I've been using that one. The ZB is cool, but being a gear, its range is not as full as possible... I have it along, and may try it at some point.

Preamping with a PodXT by the way, and then going into a stereo MesaBoogie power amp, 2 Fender cabs with a Vintage 30 in each. I had Loooper.com make a custom stereo switcher to A/B me from the guitar preamp chain to the steel/Pod preamp. I like it!

-dean-
Rick McDuffie

Benson, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2005 7:01 pm    

Dean, so you're A/B-ing between the guitar and steel preamps, and using the same Boogie power amp and Fender cabinets on guitar and steel? How do the Celestions hold up for steel? Are they 12's?

If you find something that works great, man... patent it. I've searched high and low, and can't find an acceptable combination. At one point, I was using a Mesa Boogie studio preamp and a Peavey Tubefex with an A/B switch, into the power amp/speaker of a Nashville 1000... but I could never get a satisfactory sound on both instruments. Finally gave up and just toted two separate amps to the gig.
Dean Parks

Post  Posted 16 Feb 2005 10:49 am    

Rick-

I like it very much. Using the "tube preamp", and either no cabinet modelling, or the 15 (I'm using a Pod XT with the 2.01 software update), i seem to be able to tweak the tone knobs and emulate various steel sounds, and I have the delay 'effect level' always ready on the knob.

It seems to hold up well. The guitar side is always going thru a Marshall DSL50, speaker output into a Palmer Speaker Simulator as a load, and the Palmer's line out feeding some line-level efx, then into the switcher.

In other news, tho, before I left town, I heard a Joseph Arthur show, and was very impressed with the amp sounds... afterward I looked at his rig, and it was a Vox Tonelab pedal board! ... it made me think I don't need a "real" guitar preamp section.

-d-
Don Griffiths

Steelville, MO
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2011 1:48 pm     Gear

Whoa! I was honored to see and hear Dean play with CN in Santa Cruz last night. Most tasteful live PSG playing I've ever witnessed.The gear all sounds incredibly complicated to me. Guess I should be studying sound engineering as well as theory. I think I'll stick to the Shobud plugged into Ernie Ball VP , compressor, delay and Fender Twin for now. At least until I've got this x%*&#! jamman figured out. Shocked

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2011 2:13 pm    

Dean,I went to See Tom Petty/CSN in Nashville last fall...where were you?

Dallas, TX
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2011 4:27 am    

Got tickets to see Dean and his backup band next Wednesday. Full report and detailed analysis to come Wink
Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2011 10:49 am    

I was lucky to get to see Dean play the first show of the C.N. tour in Long Beach Ca a couple weeks ago, and I've been inspired ever since. Great music played by great musicians!
Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2011 1:33 pm    

Congratulations Dean!
I just watched "Crazy" and you did a fantastic job! Smile
Dean Parks

Post  Posted 9 Apr 2011 6:04 pm    

Thx to all for the kind words. PS, the beginning of this thread, I notice, was 2005!
Anyway, Denver tonight!
This tour has some different equipment:
Franklin thru a 4 space rack w Revelation Pre, TC 350 in the loop, Mosvalve 80/80 powering 2 Pacific cabs w 12" BW each.
A switch input triggers an Analog Man switcher I commissioned, which changes the input of the Mosvalve from the Revelation to a Palmer load box line-out, which is fed by a Tonebone Head switcher, which chooses btw Guytron 100w head, and a Matchless Clubman head. They pass "thru" the switcher, "thru" the Palmer, to a 2x12 cab for unaffected guitar. The palmer line-out signal goes thru a delay pedalboard into the Mosvalve, so those 2 single 12 cabinets (which WERE pedal steel) are now delay-only cabs.

Is tha clear? Not sure why it became so complicated, but it seemed like a simple idea at the time! It does allow guitar, fx, and stereo pedal steel, to all be accomplished with only 3 mics.
Arty Passes

Austin, TX
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2011 11:14 pm    

Glad this thread got resurrected - got my tickets for the Austin show on Tuesday night - looking forward to seeing you and those other two guys!
Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2011 10:09 am    

Hey Arty,

Maybe I'll see you there. I'm taking Carol to the concert for her birthday.

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2011 10:50 am    

Steve Hinson wrote:
Dean,I went to See Tom Petty/CSN in Nashville last fall...where were you?

Steve, I think the answer might be the S in CSN for that concert. Smile

I hung out with Dean for his sound check in Seattle for the CN show and he and the band sounded great. Dean sounded great on that Franklin.
Jeff Agnew

Dallas, TX
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2011 3:56 am    

My wife and I went to see the Dean Parks concert last night and it was superb. I admit to being a little surprised to see that a steel player could draw such a large and receptive crowd but there ya go.

It was also a somewhat bittersweet reunion for me with an old girlfriend -- the steel I had last seen some 24 years ago and somehow let get away. I must say, she has aged better than I have, and has even lost a little weight. Still sings great, though, and I know she's being treated well. I did tell Dean that if he were ever willing to consider an open relationship with her that I would be willing to share. And if, heaven forbid, they should ever divorce, I would even take her back.

As for the music, it was a pleasure to attend a show that wasn't dominated by special effects, light shows, wardrobe changes, or theatrics. Just superb musicians on stage, playing timeless songs, performed by artists who know and love their craft. And yet still managed to thoroughly entertain a crowd. What a concept.

If the tour comes through your area you really owe it to yourself to go. It's truly a wonderful show.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that Dean's two backup singers weren't too shabby, either. And who announced more than once from stage how proud and fortunate they were to be able to work with him. That's just awesome. Even for a guy who ended up stealing my old girlfriend Wink
Kyle Everson

Nashville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2011 8:57 am    

Just saw Dean and C/N on Jimmy Fallon. Dean, your slide tone was out of this world! I really enjoyed it.
John Hopkin

Post  Posted 4 Jul 2011 5:39 pm     ah, sweet...january 8th...elvis' birthday...

Mullen RP, MSA, Sho-Bud Pro II, Yamaha keyboards, MalletKat vibes
Dean Parks

Post  Posted 5 Jul 2011 9:07 am    

Thanks, Kyle
Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2011 11:22 am    

I went to the C/N show in Grand Prairie Tx recently.
Dean's playing was spot on with those great songs.
I did not know he was a Ft Worth native
Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2011 11:48 am    

Sad, I missed it!
Ivan Posa

Hamilton, New Zealand
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2011 12:29 pm    

Dean usually puts in an appearance at the TSGA in Dallas and sometimes plays backup on guitar on stage. He is a superb musician and a very nice friendly person who will have a chat with everyone. Bravo Dean.
Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2011 12:36 pm    

Awesome talent....
David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2011 1:41 pm    

Is he as good as that Jerry guy they had a while back? You know, the hairy one.... Razz
Steve Hotra

Camas, Washington
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2011 6:13 pm    

Dean;
Thanks for sharing your guitar set-up.
Steve
Amps: Mesa Express 5:25, Jazzkat Tomkat & Boss Katana head / various cabs.