| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ten minutes to better guitar.....
John Wilson

Ventura, California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2011 12:17 pm    

Hey gang,

A couple of months back, I ran across a guitar exercise method given to me by an old friend that was titled “Ten minutes to better guitar“. It was for all level of players and consisted of 5 – two minute exercises that were simple, repetitive, yet produced very noticeable results after a few weeks of consistent application. (I have included the first of five as an example). I still use this today.

I would like to put together a similar type of exercise for my steel guitar practice and I’m interested in what you all are using that could be adapted.

I have searched the forum and found various warm-up exercises and courses (right hand alpha, etc). I am currently using triads and scales in this manner, but I am hoping to pick everyone’s brain to find four or five quick interesting routines that I might apply in the same manner as this system. I’m definitely interested in using my practice time as efficiently as I can.

What y’all got?

TIA,

John

PS. Sorry for the chopped photo.

Clark Doughty

KANSAS
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2011 12:55 pm     ten minutes to better guitar

I found and printed off a 6 page email that Paul Franklin posted about two months ago on the forum that has some very good exercides very well described. I can't find it on here not but will post it when I find it. I've been using them and they really help.........no surprise if it's coming from Paul................clark
John Wilson

Ventura, California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2011 6:21 pm    

Thanks Clark,

I hope you find it as it sounds very useful.

J.
Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2011 6:22 am    

ttt

Sure hope Clark finds this stuff before this thread dies on the vine,,,,,sounds like some info we'd all like to have
John Peay

Cumming, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2011 7:07 am     Franklin's Bar Hand Exercise...

I think this is the thread you guys are referring to. I too printed this off and have been using it, as it's simple enough even a newbie like me can do it (at slower speeds of course).

I started out using it for technique, but now I'm playing it to a droned E note as Paul suggests, the idea being it will develop my ear as well.

Thanks again to Paul for taking time to post this in such detail....

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=176202&highlight=bar+hand+exercise
Dan Moslander

Central California USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2011 7:53 am     Bar Exercise

Hey, thanks, John for the 'thread' about the bar exercises.....appreciate it very much. Been hacking at this for alittle over a year now. Any help is always very much appreciated...........Dan

don't have a gear list...I'm broke
Ray Anderson

Jenkins, Kentucky USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2011 8:18 am     Franklins bar exercise

Help me out fellows, I'm a newbie. What is meant by the term of "droning an E" and how do I accomplish this? Hate to sound stupid but it is what it is, Didn't pay attetion in Music class there was too many pretty girls to look at. Confused
Benjamin Wolfram

Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2011 1:17 pm     Re: Franklins bar exercise

Ray Anderson wrote:
Help me out fellows, I'm a newbie. What is meant by the term of "droning an E" and how do I accomplish this? Hate to sound stupid but it is what it is, Didn't pay attetion in Music class there was too many pretty girls to look at. Confused

Haha I am not sure exactly but I have a feeling it comes from the banjo world where the banjo has a "drone" string which you use just as a constant bass note which you keep plucking with your thumb throughout everything else you might play (assuming it's in the right key of course).

I'm sure someone else will chime in who knows exactly what it is but if I had to guess that's what I would say a drone is.
Clark Doughty

KANSAS
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2011 2:55 pm     Ten minutes to better guitar.....

Hi John,
Thanks the link I was referring to. I've looked all over for it but glad you found it. Guess I need some hwlp in finding stuff. I even sent a PM to Paul but haven't gotten a response..anyway.........thanks for posting this. I use it everyday and think it's worth the time spent. I also use it for practicing my pick blocking.
Also for Ray's benefit I think you automaatically get the "E" if you follow the directions in the thread of picking strings 7 & 8 with 8 being the "E" string. Hope this helps..............clark Very Happy
John Wilson

Ventura, California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2011 5:49 pm     Awesome....Thanks guys!

And especially to you Paul, for cooking this up in the first place!

I have printed this exercise and I walked through it slowly. It is perfect for what I'm trying to do. I just need to put the metronome on and get an E droning. It seems like this would best be practiced non-stop for 10-15 minutes or so. How long do you guys practice this in each session? And does it work best for warm-up or at the end?

John