| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Buying tips and pedal steel glossary
Alex Cattaneo

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2011 7:04 am    

Hi folks, this is my first post in the Pedal Steel section of the forum. I've been having a lot of fun with lap steels and my awesome 1955 D-8 Stringmaster, and now, it's time to "graduate" to a pedal steel.

I'm thinking I should get a single neck, as the double necks are quite heavy. E9 3x4 Emmons set-up seem to be the standard. I've seen some double frame converted to single necks, I'd like to know the pros and cons of those. Also, what is the deal with "all pull" vs "push-pull"? One more question: long pull vs short pull, what is that all about?

Although this will be my first steel, I have been a professional musician for 20 tears, mostly as a guitarist, and I would rather make a good investment and buy a professional grade instrument so that I don't have to buy another in a few years. All tips are welcomed. As far as influences, the old Ray Price records really are my favorites, but I'm all over anything that sounds like honky tonk, mostly stuff from the 50's and 60's.
Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2011 1:09 pm    

Alex, welcome to world of pedals! A single 10 with 3 & 4 will get you playing most anything you hear on E9th. Although 3 & 4 is deemed pretty standard, a lot of single neck guitars are equiped with a fifth knee (vertical on the left knee). It's a really nice option, but not a deal breaker if you find the right guitar that doesn't have it. It can almost always be added later. As for the single frame vs. the double frame, it's a matter of prefference. Some people say that the tone of the double frame is better than on the single. I can't testify to that. I do play the double frame, but more for a comfort feature. I don't use the padded back neck area as an rest, but I have just never been comfortable behind a single frame for some reason. It feels like I'm falling off the back side of the guitar. The Emmons set-up is more widely used than the Day set-up, but both are common. The biggest issue again is comfort. My first guitar was a Day set-up, but I found that my left foot was more comfortable making the most common moves on the Emmons set-up. If you are out and are asked to sit in on a strange guitar, your chances of being on one you're familiar with are greater on the Emmons set-up. All pull vs. push pull is an issue for great debate. The more modern guitars are all pull. Emmons is famous for the push pull tone, but the mechanics can be troublesome unless you have an experienced tech do the set-up work. And again, tone is in the ear of the beholder. I personally like the tone I get with all pull guitars. Long pull vs. short pull, the only thing I can think of that you are refering to is the length of the movement on knee levers to get a string to pitch. Most modern guitars have a fairly short pull, but you could become accustomed to a bit more travel if it's not excessive. My $.02, time for someone else!!!
Ray Anderson

Jenkins, Kentucky USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2011 1:54 pm     Buying tips and pedal steel glossary

I am not a professional by any means but I have been where you are in decision of "the right guitar". I took the advice of a good friend and seasoned musician that suggested A GFI Expo S-10 all pull, and I do not regret this choice. For tone , playability, bang for the buck, I did not go wrong. and I might also add that the guitar is only half of the equation, the amp is equally important. I hope this helps and much happy playing time to you. Cool
Alex Cattaneo

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2011 10:04 pm    

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it! Very useful information.
Sherman Willden

Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2011 1:41 pm    

Consider a single 12 string. http://www.b0b.com/infoedu/future1.htm
Alex Cattaneo

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2011 5:57 am    

Hi Sherman,

Very interesting post, thank you. My concern with a 12-string is the lack of educational material. When I learn a new instrument, I do rely heavily on the available literature and even more on "steeling" form the masters of said instrument. I already play guitar, banjo, mandolin and ukulele professionally and there are only so many hours in a day, so I'm not naturally inclined to take the long road, even if the destination might yield high rewards in the long term.

I understand the benefits of the universal vs the double neck, bit I didn't even consider a double neck in the first place. Pedal steel seems like a complicated enough instrument, I have a feeling that a 10-string E9 will be more than enough to keep my hands and ears full for some years. That being said, I'm open to advice, and maybe starting with the universal system is better than trying to switch in a few years...
sylvainvallieres

saint lin laurentides Québec, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2011 6:43 am    

salut Alex bienvenue sur ce forum,idéalement tu devrais commencer avec un single neck c'est moins pesant moi cher a moins que tu tombe sur un double neck a bon prix,pour jouer le genre musical que tu veux faire un single va te tenir occupé un bon bout de temps
Alex Cattaneo

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2011 6:49 am    

Salut Sylvain,

Oui, pour avoir joué souvent avec Rick Haworth, je suis convaincu qu'un double est trop pesant pour moi! Tu joues avec quel instrument? Je penche pour un MSA mais je vais prendre mon temps avant d'Acheter. Je travailles au USA alors je vais profiter du shipping plus abordable.
sylvainvallieres

Post  Posted 27 Mar 2011 7:06 am    

ah ça va être avantageux pour toi d'en rammasé un ''aux states''car ce n'est pas facile d'en trouvé un au Québec,il faut que tu regarde les petites annonces souvent,sinon Al Brisco de steel guitar Canada a quelques bonne guitare a vendre,moi j'ai 3 modele différent,j'ai un Emmons puhs-pull single neck 1966,j'ai un sho-bud comme Rick double neck 1970,et je viens d'acheter il y a quelques semaine un sho-bud single neck fin des années 70
sylvainvallieres

Post  Posted 27 Mar 2011 7:07 am    

j'ai un copain qui possede un MSA ça joue tres bien aussi !
CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2011 8:30 am    

Bienvenue Cousin a ce merveilleux forum
c'est la bonne place
c'est vrai qu'un simple manche est moins lourd & te permettra de jouer presque tout dans le registre "country "
par contre, si tu aime le jazz, le western swing le C6 d'un double manche n'est PAS a négliger
dans les annonces, tu trouvera beaucoup de trés bonnes occasions auprés de steelers réglos

Welcome to this great forum cousin
it's the right place
true that a single neck is lighter & will permit you to play in the " country " register
on the other hand, if you like jazz, western swing, the C6 of a double neck should be considered
in the for sale section, you'll find some good steels from some decent folks