| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lynn Anderson-Marty Stuart Show
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2011 5:44 pm    

The country music legend Lynn Anderson on The Marty Stuart Show just layed em' out. There are certain people in show business who are in their own class. Lynn Anderson is one of them. She sang "I Never Promised You A Rose Garden" with a full string orchestra backed by The Superlatives. It brought tears to my eyes. REAL legendary talent. That's country music! Just fabulous.
Billy Tonnesen

R.I.P., Buena Park, California
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2011 9:50 pm    

Lynn Anderson was featured on several of the old Lawrence Welk T.V. Shows that they still run on the PBS channels here in So. Calif. usually on a Saturday night.
Paul Martin

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2011 10:10 pm    

I gotta say that whenever I listen to the original track of "Rose Garden", it still gives me chills. I asked Lynn if it was true about the day they cut the song here in town where many session players showed up over at the Quonset hut just to listen to the that track, and she said that was in fact true. She went on to say that the feel they created was unique, and everybody was just buzzing about. Makes me wish i could have been there for that moment. It was still big fun getting to sort of recreate that song. It was an extreme hoot!! It sounded really cool right there on the studio floor with the string section to my left. I was playing a gig with my family tonight, so I'll have to wait and watch it in the morning!! Thanks Kevin!
Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2011 4:18 am    

On Rose Garden the harmony part had me searching for a choir..I even thought Lynn might have been using a vocal harmonizer..The camera angles did not show at first where it was coming from. I thought maybe the String section..But after a while it was apparent it was Paul and Harry nailing it as if it was the original cut..Each week the musicianship of the superlatives are more than living up to their name..Is there any entertainer who would not sound good with them ?
Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2011 7:40 am    

I just saw it. Man, that blew me away!
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2011 11:54 am    

The Superlatives are a very powerful and advanced group for 4 guys. I agree that they are getting world class now. Just fabulous harmonies with professionalism. Dressed to the hilt for the audience and smiling. Gary Carter is also smok'n on that Zum. Standing between a string orchestra and Lynn Anderson singing Rose Garden playing bass would certainly be a musical high light in anyone's career.
Thank goodness for The Marty Stuart Show.
Alvin Blaine

Picture Rocks, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2011 10:55 am    

So I keep playing this version of "Rose Garden" over again and have a question. Besides being a killer version, am I hearing another electric guitar part? I hear a part that doesn't match up to what Kenny is playing, but I also hear the part that looks like what he's playing, did he go in and over-dub another track?
Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2011 5:09 pm    

it was a great show with lynn anderson.i really enjoyed all the songs on the show.
Chip Fossa

Monson, MA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2011 7:28 pm    

Garsh,

I have the cheapest cable and rottenest reception.

Can I see this somewhere? YouTube?? Maybe?

Thanks all. Oh Well
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 1 Mar 2011 10:33 am    

Chip, you might try this.
http://en.todoroms.com/marty-stuart-show-w-lynn-anderson
Chip Fossa

Post  Posted 2 Mar 2011 3:18 am    

Thanks Barry,

My 'registration' got "X'ed". It's in Spanish, so I don't understand the error alert, only that an error was made. I couldn't figure it out. They want too much information, anyway. Neutral
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 2 Mar 2011 7:43 am    

That's okay, Chip. It will probably show up on Marty's site in the very near future.
Keep watchin'. Smile
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2011 1:15 pm    

Gary Carter's steel guitar playing on "Promises, Promises" is fantastic. Way to go Gary.
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2011 6:52 pm    

Gary really nailed the steel part and the Pete Wade lead part was nailed pretty good also. For those unfamiliar with this unbelievable cut of Lynn Anderson's and Lloyd trademark sound on it:

Promises Promises

Lynn's mom Liz Anderson co-wrote Promises and also wrote Merle Haggard's Strangers! Here's Lynn's version with some really great Lloyd and Pete riffs:

Strangers

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Dayna Wills

Sacramento, CA (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2011 10:24 pm     Marty Stuart

Yes, thank goodness for his show. My fave part of the show is the Gospel song they always do. That band is killer. such great harmony. I have it on my DVR.
I was nicely surprised to se the orchestra backing Lynn Anderson. So cool. (I was wondering how they were gonna pull that off) Some years ago in Snyder, Texas, Ray Price had a charted, violin section. So, when they played "For the Good Times" it sounded just like the recording. Lush.
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 5 Mar 2011 7:30 am    

Chip, try this link.
http://www.filestube.com/m/marty+stuart+show
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2011 11:13 am    

Speaking of "Promises, Promises", if you haven't already done so, check out Lloyd Green's album, "Mr. Nashville Sound". It has him playing an instrumental of this song that is killer. One of my favorite steel albums, and that great Lloyd/Sho~Bud tone.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Chip Fossa

Post  Posted 15 Mar 2011 8:36 am    

Barry,

Thanks again for the latest link. You ain't gonna believe this, but I'm just getting back to the PC after being down in Florida for 10 days, and when I just clicked on the link and tried to download the first of the two dwnlds, an alert said "Valid until March 15, at 12:33".

Ya just can't win. Very Happy Oh Well Very Happy
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 15 Mar 2011 10:32 am    

Chip, looks like we'll just have to wait until Marty decides to put that episode up on his website. Oh Well
David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2011 7:39 am    

Isn't this PF, on Martina McBride's recreation? I know he was on her oldies album, at at about 0:50 there's a glimpse here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZh3eMSQH1Q&feature=related

Whoever it was, they play swell! I like it better without the orchestra....