| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What a great show at Benton
Lyle Clary

Decatur, Illinois, KC9VCB
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2006 5:01 pm    

The talent was super this past weekend at the Southern Illinois show at Benton. Those that did not get to go sure missed an experience. Don Helms and his singing friend Chris were the highlight of the weekend. Well Laney and Russ and Ron and Lynn and Randy and that laid back Joe Wright were pretty close seconds. Also Dottie Jack and Tresa Street.

Thanks Bobby Reed. You too Sheila and Don Lampley for putting on such a memorable show.
Gene Piper

Olney, Illinois
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2006 8:43 pm    

Lyle nice to have met you at Benton. I enjoyed your playing it was great as well as all of the other pickers. Rob Parker did a great job keeping the show moving along on schedule, beside being a singer for a lot of the acts. Thanks a lot Rob and thanks for all the work everyone did. IMHO I think there were a lot of the general public in attendance and I hope they bring their friends next time. It was a great show.

Gene Piper

------------------
Don Lampley

Thompsonville, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2006 6:20 am    

Thanks Lyle it was a pleasure to have you at the show. Also a big thanks to all the players for making this a big success. Don Helms what more can be said Chris and Don played great. Laney Hicks sounded great as always even with a cold I hope you feel better. Where already planing next years show again thanks to all. I almost forgot if you missed Earl Erb playing guitar you missed something great.

------------------
www.southernilproductions.com

Jerry Van Hoose

Wears Valley, Tennessee
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2006 10:00 am    

What a show this past weekend in Benton, Ill. Their Civic Center is a great facility and the hospitality shown was second to none. Bobby Reed put together a super line up of players as well as performing tirelessly on stage. Charlie Stepp had a very nice display of new Derby Steels on hand. Ron Elliott not only received his new black mica Derby but actually played his new guitar on the show that same evening! As always, I was truly mesmerized by Ron's masterful touch & tone. His playing was absolutely magnificent. Don & Hazel Helms were on hand with Don's book, "Settin' The Woods On Fire". Rob Parker MC'd the show and also provided vocals for many players as did Don Lampley while playing bass. I would like to add that Don also did a really good job as sound tech. Now, there was one busy guy. Lynn Owsley played beautifully as Lynn always does, what a great all around entertainer. I highly recommend checking out Lynn's new Derby too with his meticulously engraved "Texas Troubadoor" endplates. I won't go on any further except to say that Russ, Laney, Randy, Don, Joe, and a fantastic selection of local steel players made the show a most memorable one. My thanks go to everyone that made it so enjoyable.
Don E. Curtis

St Louis, Missouri, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2006 12:42 pm    

Yes indeed! I had a terrific time and the audience was wonderful. But to me the singers absoultely stole the show, Tresa Street, Laney Hicks and Chris Malpass...not to mention Mr. Rob Parker. Laney is World Class entertainment always, and Chris Malpass, what can I say. He's 19 years old with 100 years of experience. I hate to tell this but it was only the 2nd time I've ever cried at a steel show, once at the I.S.G.C. after the Jerry Byrd Trio closed the show on a Sunday night...and in Benton during Don Helm's & Chris Malpass' version of, "I Dreamed About Mama Last Night". Word's cannot express...
I was honored to be there.
Sincerely,
Don E. Curtis
Ron Elliott

Madison, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2006 12:59 pm    

Thanks guys for your wonderful posts. What a wonderful week-end. It was so good to see all the guys and gals again. I surely would like to return next year if they will have me. Great staff, great venue, good food, good music, lots of vendors,great people, super shows. Our deepest respect for all concerned. Ron & Leslie
Don Blood

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2006 5:06 pm    

We had one of the most memorable weekends of our life, the music was great, and it would have been worth the drive just to experience Don Helm's show. But, there was no part of the show that we didn't enjoy. The people were friendly, and I'm hoping we make it back next year. Thanks to Joe Arview, and Don & Sheila Lampley and everyone who helped put this event together.

Don & Rhonda Blood

Rob Parker

Paducah, Kentucky, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2006 7:18 pm    

Well, once again the Illinois Steel Club put on a great show..Bushels of talented Artists to perform for the audience...I won't try to name all the players and singers..but they provided the audience with a 'class A ' show..
Kudos to Bobby Reed, Don and Sheila Lampley, and all the staff, and friends that worked so hard for a great show...you did a bang-up job...
Thanks for the invite to the festivities...and letting me help in this endeavor...I hope I am included in next years show....

RP...'come on in'...
Lyle Clary

Decatur, Illinois, KC9VCB
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2006 8:00 am    

I hope Rob Parker and Don E. Curtis will accept my apologies for not mentioning them. Especially Rob, as he let me back him on a couple of songs. I guess I can blame it on my age.