| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The Big E and Albert Lee
Mark Cohen

Calabasas, CA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2006 8:26 pm    

OK, all. The latest album released by Albert Lee on Sugar Hill, "Road Runner," features Emmons heavily. Albert has been playing with Buddy in the Everly Brothers touring band for years and the two play off of each other with jaw-dropping virtuousity and taste. The confidence and authority with which these two giants take on the challenging up tempo works is both inspiring and maybe a bit sobering to the rest of us. The album clearly addresses a special core listening audience for Lee and has several extending instrumental cuts where Albert and Buddy swap phrases, adding more energy with each cycle. "Payola Blues" stands out: a 7 minute jam with a continuous flow of new ideas that seem to roll out effortlessly. Look for them trading licks in "Working on Love." You sense Emmons playing with restraint until positively goes over the top with his guitar, after which the steel breaks out.

Not that there is any problem with the vocals. Albert is in fine form with his signature traditional Rockabilly phrasing. A special treat is the incredible work by his nineteen year old daughter, Alexandra, who is presently studying opera at the Juilliard academy, in a duet, "The Dimming of the Day"; it's my favorite cut.

That the steel work is of such quality is less of a surprize when recognizing that steel player Steve Fishell produced all cuts.

Don't just take my word for this. The reviews on (e.g., Billboard.com) all seem to take note of the interplay between guitar and steel.

(Oh, and I'm on the record, too)

[This message was edited by Mark Cohen on 30 April 2006 at 02:19 AM.]

Russ Hicks

Pegram, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2006 7:30 am    

Hey Mark...thanks for the review; I can't wait to hear it....with those two I can only imagine the energy.
Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2006 11:41 am    

I bought this yesterday, very good album.

Albert has been one of my guitar heroes for decades, and when I read that Buddy was involved I was driving past one of my favorite record stores and stopped in and bought this CD (along with the new Ben Harper-good stuff!).

On that "Payola Blues" Albert is kicking butt for about 3 minutes with Buddy playing fills and you think that's all you're going to get of the big E-then he cuts loose-holy smokes!

I think Buddy plays on 4 of the 10 tracks.

Steve Fishell contributes some good rockin' lap steel on one track. I like in the liner notes (he co-produced) where one of the people he thanks is Buddy, and follows it with "the Big E."

I agree, that is a fine version of Richard Thompson's "Dimming of the Day."

I like the opener alot-sort of an Albert Lee-ized country rock version of "(I'm a) Roadrunner" the classic which was penned by Holland/Dozier/Holland.

I am so happy to see and hear that Buddy has been getting pretty active again in studio work-what a thrill for all of us!

------------------
Mark

[This message was edited by Mark Eaton on 14 April 2006 at 12:43 PM.]

[This message was edited by Mark Eaton on 14 April 2006 at 12:46 PM.]

Mark Cohen

Calabasas, CA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2006 12:46 pm    

Albert and Buddy have a long history, and I suspect that Emmons did this out of true personal respect. From what I hear from Albert, I wouldn't take this as a sign that Buddy is planning to be playing out a lot more, though.
Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2006 12:14 am    

I was kinda "semi-disappointed" w/ this album. Albeit,Albert's vocals (& pickin') are excellent,& "E's" pickin' was GREAT,I was kinda hopin' that this was an instrumental album. Not enough "E" for me! I was kinda comparing this to Duane Eddy's "Twang A Country Song",hoping it would be like that.

------------------
  ~ ~

©¿© It don't mean a thang,
mm if it ain't got that twang.
www.ntsga.com

[This message was edited by Smiley Roberts on 23 April 2006 at 01:18 AM.]

Doug Childress

Orange, Texas
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2006 4:42 am    

What is the title of the album in case my record store does not have it in stock????
Clint Queen

Prescott, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2006 9:24 am    

You can buy Albert Lee's "Road Runner" at Barnes & Noble bookstores and music stores
Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2006 9:48 am    

My first reaction mirrored Smiley's- but rtepeated listens have made this a current fave of mine. Really great playing, nice tunes, and Albert's voice grows on ya...
J W Alexander

Reynoldsburg, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2006 1:55 pm    

Hey Doug! The CD is titled Road Runner on the Sugar Hill label, CD# SUG-CD-4011. I got my copy from Amazon because when you order $25 or more in anything you get free shipping. There's always a few other music things I can use or I just wait until I have enough in their wish list to get the shipping.

I like this CD a lot----it's some great picking anyway you slice it! Yeah we'd like to hear nothing but Albert and Buddy trading licks all the way through but in the end it's still a good listen. You won't be disappointed I'm sure.