| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need Schematic For Gibson BR-1 1946 Ultratone
George Rout

St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2011 1:42 pm    

An Ultratone was given to me and works well. However, I think the wiring has been tampered with as there is no tonal change no matter where I position any of the controls. And, two controls act as volume controls.

A couple of years ago, I downloaded some steel guitar schematics, but can't recall and have no record of where it was.

Can somebody please point me in the right direction or send a copy of the schematic. While Duchossoir's book Gibson Electric Steel Guitars (Page 235) describes the fancy arrangement to "broaden the spectrum of its tonal response", my guess is that it's probably very similiar to the controls on my Gibson Console Grande. One control increases/decreases the bass response, the other "tone" control increases/decreases the treble response. One control is for volume of course.

I look forward to any suggestions or help. Thanks.

George

"I play in the A Major tuning. It's fun to learn and so easy to play. It's as old as the hills....like me"
Blake Hawkins

Florida
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2011 9:06 pm    

George, You are correct about the controls. I have a Console Grande with the same set up.
I have a rough drawing of the connections which
will send you in an e mail 'cause I couldn't upload
it here.

The bass pot is connected like a regular tone control. It is 50K with a .02 mfd cap connected between the center of the volume control and the center of the bass control. The #3 terminal of the bass pot is grounded.

The treble control has a .001 mfd cap connected across terminals 1 and 3 of a 500K pot. It is in series with the signal and the pot regulates the amount of bass rejected.
The output line comes from terminal #2 on the volume control, and is connected to #2 on the treble control. There is a line from terminal #1 of the
treble pot to the output jack.
In practice, I leave the treble control wide open
as very much movement of it gives a tinny sound.
Then I regulate the tone with the bass control.
George Rout

St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2011 5:26 am    

Thanks for the detail above Blake, I've sent my email address to you in response to your email.
Geo

"I play in the A Major tuning. It's fun to learn and so easy to play. It's as old as the hills....like me"
Blake Hawkins

Florida
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2011 6:46 am    

Diagram on the way.