| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A lil' dream coming true....
Gianni Gori

Livorno, Italy
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2011 8:34 am    

I know, the concept of dream is very subjective... someone can consider a dream what for others it is so normal and common.

I bet you understand what I mean... I have just succeeded in starting my country band!
It sounds silly, I know. Not that big deal, you'll think...
But I live in Italy... American country music is not common at all, and it has been so difficult to find the right musical partners for such a project.
And yet, I am one of the thirty italian pedal steel players (not joking!). When I say that I play pedal steel guitar nobody knows what I am talking about (except for friends, which I have bothered way too much about it!), and if they ever see one, they look at me as if I were an alien... LOL

Well, I did it finally!
Last night I had the very first rehearsal, with the enthusiasm of a teenager, even though I'm a bit over 40, 30 of which spent playing guitar in so many different situations.
I think I have been waiting for this for almost ten years...
Dunno know what will happen, the start was great, we'll see.

I just wanted to share this news, for which I am still a bit incredulous, and thank you all and this forum, for being a great support and one of the reasons not to give up, even when everything could seem to have no sense.
You know, it's not that easy to go on training without ever playing a game... Very Happy
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2011 10:09 am    

Good luck with your band! What kind of country music are you going to play and do you have any gigs lined up? Most country bands play a variety of the old and new country music to survive. Live country music is pretty dead where I am now but's there's quite a few gospel and hard rock bands.

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Gianni Gori

Livorno, Italy
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2011 10:17 am    

Thank you, Greg! Smile

No gigs yet, we wouldn't be ready... LOL
The first four songs are by Alan Jackson (Livin' on love and Gone country) and Brad Paisley (Mud on tires and Ticks). All chosen by the first guitar player I found, I wanted to motivate him so I asked him to choose... Very Happy
While deciding about the next songs I bet we will have to please most of the band. For instance, the other guitar player is quite into bluegrass, dunno...
Anyway, my favorite kind is new country music, so I like the first four we play....
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2011 10:39 am    

Good luck Gianni. Practice hard. Arrange the musical parts in a pleasing way, and you will have an audience. Dress well also. Smile, smile, smile. Have fun.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2011 11:04 am    

sounds like fun. have a great time...i bet it won't be long before you start playing out for people. keep an open mind..bluegrass played by an electric band is lots of fun. ricky skaggs and dolly parton and patty loveless and many others have incorporated the style.
Richard Park

Alexandria, Virginia
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2011 2:25 pm    

Ciao, Gianni!

I've been through Livorno a few times on my way to Volterra and San Dalmazio.

In bocca al lupo! Buona Fortuna!
Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2011 8:51 pm    

Italians love country too, at least you will be able to play real country and not have to add hip hop to keep em dancin. Keep it pure my brothers and all will be well. Weldone...