| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  GFI Student Model Help
Wayne Tumey

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2011 5:57 am    

Need some advise on a GFI Student Model. First just got the guitar and haven't spent much time adjusting the pedals etc. But I did notice that the B pedal travels way to far for me, in other words I can't get the A & B adjusted to fit me. Is it a simple matter of change the bell crank position or do I shorting up the stop and tune the pedal?
2) The A pedal is not smooth actually sound like a squeaky rocking chair! GFI says these are lube for life or should be. Should i lube it?
3) Moving the K-levers around seems to be simple enough, any known issues with this student model?
As far as tone etc the guitar sounds great for a student model, really sounds good! So if i can get it adjusted a bit, I think it's good to go. Any help would be appreciated.
Wayne

Last edited by Wayne Tumey on 21 Feb 2011 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kenny Brown

Auburn, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2011 7:09 pm    

What do you mean by "adjusting the pedals"?

when you say the B pedal travels way too far for you what do you mean? Does it seem too close to the ground compared to the A & C pedals? If so, take a look at the pedals on most pedal steels & you will see more often than not the B pedal slightly lower than the others and in my opinion is a common thing and nothing to be worried about.

in my experience I haven't played a pedal steel brand new or older that the pedals don't make a little noise so I don't think you should be too concerned with that. once you're on a gig you won't notice!

My initial suggestion would be not to tinker too much until we define more clearly what the issue is.

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2011 5:23 am     Gfi

Kenny,
What I mean about the travel is when I use my B pedal the pull is to long so I end up on the A pedal a bit. I can bend my ankle more to stay off the A pedal but man that gets uncomfortable after a while. I guess another way to put it would to be shorten the action on the B pedal. My pedals are set up like most… “A” pedal a bit higher than B but I did lower all three for my comfort. This may sound silly but on my ShoBud LDG, I actually measured the pedal heights so to set up both the same. I’m not that touchy about the set up except when you find yourself saying man that hurts!

On the A pedal it’s not just “pedal noise” I agree that’s common, it’s more of the pedal sticking and creating the noise from not moving smoothly. Haven’t spent much time with it though, I will lube the pedals (floor connecting points) and the pedal rod (top) and look over the undercarriage to see what I can find but I am not familiar with this changer I believe like most student models it’s a single finger changer but it sounds like it’s in that area.?

And you are right! Did not want to jump in with a bunch of changes that may cost me in the long run. This guitar is the best sounding Student Model I ever heard. I’m really happy with the tone etc…but need to get the pedal(s) action working smoothly.

Thanks for your response and help.

Wayne
Wayne Tumey

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2011 2:32 pm     Gfi

1) problem solved with the rough pedal action...couple of drops of white lighting lube, good to go. (even though the web site says no need for lube)
Kenny Brown

Auburn, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2011 3:02 pm    

cool Wayne, glad to be of some help.

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2011 12:37 pm     GFI B Pedal

But, I still need to shorten the pull or action on the B pedal. My thought is to move the pull rod down or closer to the body of the guitar, adjust the stop and then tune the nylon nut? I know these use 22p strings (i use 22w)on my shobud and that will come into play. So, Kenny any thoughts on that change?

Any one else change the pedal action on your GFI Student Model?

Thanks
Wayne
Patrick Brenner

Antioch, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2011 9:06 pm    

Don't know about student model gfi's. But I got a pro model. It used to have a wound 22 on the sixth string. I changed it to a plain 20 and it fixed the b pedal travel problem right away
Bobby Bowman

Cypress, Texas, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2011 12:07 am     phone call

Wayne,
We lost electric power the other day, not long after you called. I lost my caller ID and didn't know how to call you back.
Give me another call or get me your phone # and I'll be glad to call you.
BB
Wayne Tumey

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2011 6:06 am     B Pedal GFI Student Model

Patrick,
Thanks for the help, i think i'm going to adjust the rod on the bell crank, it will make the pedal a bit more "stiff", may have to adjust the stop and then tune the nylon nut but I believe this is my next move?
Wayne
Wayne Tumey

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2011 6:26 am     GFI B Pedal

Bobby,
Sent you a PM but I will call you sometime today.
Here's what I'm trying to accomplish:

1) Adjust the B pedal action (shorten)

2) Move the LKR (lower E's) to RKL not sure i can do this with this changer according to GFI?

Thanks for the help!
Wayne