| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Headphone amp ???
Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2011 9:51 pm    

Need input. Looking for clear clean sound not some overdrive unit from GC. Want to "fine tune" in the club situation.

Larry Behm

Phone: 971-219-8533
Clete Ritta

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2011 11:36 pm    

Larry,
Check out the Samson S-Amp.
Its around $50.

Clete
David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2011 5:45 am    

I find it worthwhile to run one of the mini-mixers available from Peavey, Samson, Behringer and others - $30-> $90. They have a headphone output but multiple inputs and through-paths that let you get a sound in your phones that's a fair approximation of what else you're doing. The "danger" of the little ones is that they don't sound anything like the rest of your rig, so whatever adjustments you use it for aren't representational anyway. And the mixers do a half-dozen other neat things too, play your own soundtracks to football games! Record with your drum machine....
Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2011 6:49 am    

http://www.ehx.com/products/headphone-amp
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2011 11:13 pm    

Brad, from what I can tell, the EHX gizmo doesn't include an aux in for ipods, etc. Deal killer for me, rats.

Larry, I'm using a Line 6 Pocket Pod Express for onstage tuning, but it also has an out so you could use it as an effects gizmo (I haven't tested that aspect much yet), and it DOES have Aux In for my iPod, so it's great for practice. Not high fidelity, but pretty good for the price. They're discontinued so scarf one up quick.

Brad, there really still is a market that needs a clean headphone amp, get busy and build us one, please!
Rich Hlaves

Wildomar, California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2011 8:53 am    

Larry,

I don't know if yo are using a rack system or have room in you rack if you have one but....

I use a Behringer Powerplay Pro-XLHA4700. It has four outputs for phones so it works well for recording with a group too.

The brand has several headphone amps both more and less complicated (read expensive) one of the units is about 30 bucks. Try a "Behringer Headphone amp" search on the Musicians Friend site. Not top of the line stuff but it gets the job done. I have one of their little eight input mixers (2 XLRs) mentioned above and it has been great.

Canada
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2011 3:20 pm     Rolls Personal Monitor Station

Got one of these for my in-ears rig, and it works great as a solo headphone amp... has TRS in for mix/aux., mic in/thru, and stereo DI i/o... I use a preamp before going into the DI... works great... small... inexpensive...
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2011 11:13 am    

Charlie, that looks great, but for $50 less does this version http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&sugexp=ldymls&xhr=t&q=rolls+personal+monitoring&cp=22&wrapid=tljp1297795372191014&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=2631336896036427685&ei=NslaTaKmM5O6sAOMmoSUCg&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=image&resnum=4&sqi=2&ved=0CC4Q8gIwAw# give the same headphone options? I'm looking thru a few of their products, most seem to have the hp abilitiy.
Charlie Hase

Canada
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2011 1:21 pm     Rolls Personal Monitor Station

Hi Ron... the units are identical, except for the stereo DI, which I don't use live (I'm totally analog w/ a mic on the speaker), but I bring the unit to the hotel room and plug into the DI. Also, I bring along a small digital back-up unit on gigs that I can plug in direct in an emergency, and use that in front of the DI in the room, to get closer to the real thing. I just did a gig w/ a drummer who had the unit you had mentioned, and he said he was going to trade his in for that extra DI feature... IMO it makes the unit very flexible... and, it sounds ok too (and that's coming from a bit of a tone snob)... also - all this is just extra if you use it for mixing your in-ears on stage, which really leaves control (for my steel level in my monitor mix) completely up to me... also, for those who do use a line out to the board, it's a cool all inclusive package... overall, I was simply impressed at the great function-ability of the unit, and not bad sound, at a fraction of the price of any other piece I bring to a gig...
Steve English

Baja, Arizona
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2011 4:33 pm    

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=8ED&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&q=rolls+pm50s&revid=1683515558&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=2631336896036427685&ei=L2xcTZ7WIYXCsAP5_7zUBQ&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CEYQ8wIwAg#

I use this as a stage monitor for my mic, but it also has a line in....plenty loud.
Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2011 5:16 am    

I've always wanted a small headphone amp, too, for fine-tuning on stage as Larry initially asked about in this post.

So, since I trust Brad Sarno's knowledge, advice and products, I went with his recommendation that he also posted in this thread. I got the Electro-Harmonix headphone amp. Arrived a few days ago.

It's great. It's simple. It's small enough to pack away with a foldable set of headphones. It's clean. $45 on-line at the usual places with free shipping. Goodbye noisy environments when tuning.

I still use my Cafe Walter headphone amp at home. It has an aux input for MP3s and whatnot.
Peter Harris

South Australia, Australia
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2011 1:20 am    

At the risk of suggesting things from the bottom of the Ball where we drive on wrong side of the road (it's an Earth-rotation thing), and can't spell "check"...

...this guy in Oz has some nice stuff for sale on eBay, and is worth a look..
..first up, try eBay # 190495502057

Cheers from Summertime Adelaide, where it's been raining ALL day Shocked
Papa Joe Pollick

Swanton, Ohio
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2011 8:24 am    

If this will work for ya,I can send it for $30.00 shipped..

Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2011 7:20 pm    

Can you hear out of both ears with just a 1/4 mono plug from the steel?

Larry Behm

Phone: 971-219-8533