| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  E string goes sharp after depressing C pedal
Jeshua Lehman

Ivor, VA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2011 5:46 pm    

Recently, every time I have pressed my C pedal more than once my E string will be left high at about 448 Hz. Is this an indication that the string is bad or is there possible another problem. It is on a 1980 Mullen D-12 the strings are about 6 months old. Any suggestion would be appreciated.
Thanks
Lehman

Britain
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2011 1:34 am    

The roller nut might need to be oiled.

The pedal might be a bit tight, and needs to be oiled.

The C pedal cross-shaft may be tight.

The changer might need oiling.
Joseph Barcus

Volga West Virginia
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2011 4:43 am    

you most likely have the tuning nut up aganist the changer. what you have to do is turn each nylon tuner back far enough that you know for sure "none" of them are against the changer now tune that string open then start with your C pedal, E raise, and E lower no order just trying to get you to understand thats how easy it is. and now to why it happen. one will find them selfs tuning at that end and not know why well when you fine yourself having to tune at that in its time for a new string. but most people will keep tuning that nylon tuner in and well over time next thing you know its against the changer. if I find myself having to tune at that end while I am out, if I have time I will change the string right away if not go ahead and tune it for that night make a note to back it back off the next day when you are putting your new string on

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2011 7:26 am    

Another way to test what Joseph is saying it to look under the guitar and attempt to move the C pedal crosshaft just a little without affecting the strings- ie.- check for free play. There should be a bit in both directions- lateral and fore-and-aft. If not-particularly in the fore-and-aft (towards the changer)direction- back off the stop a couple of turns, readjust the pulls- and see if the problem is solved.
Wesley Medlen

LaCygne,Ks
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2011 8:03 am     E string

I had the same problem on my BMI. When I bought the guitar I had to change my E & F levers to the left side I had to put my rod in the changer for C pedal higher up in the changer and bring my F lever rod down it changed length of travel so it didn't bottom out against changer. Wes

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2011 9:15 am    

1) Roller nut roller stuck (may need a drop of light oil or be taken apart and checked for gum and dirt buildup).

1b) (unlikely but worth a quick check): the tuning machine is loose in the key head.

2) A and/or C pedal pulls may be over-tuned (not enough slack left at tuner pull pegs when pedals up). In other words, the raise finger rests ON the nylon pull tuner, instead of FIRMLY on the metal plate. If so, set pedal stop for more travel and re-tune your pulls.

3) Lower return springs may not pull back enough. As the tension raises during the C-pedal pull, the lower finger lifts off for lack of being held back in place by the lower return spring. Return springs should always be adjusted with the biggest RAISE pull engaged.

4) (unlikely, but the devil is in the detail): The E-to-Eb-lower may be over-tuned (same as on #2).

5) Binding in the linkage. This may be tricky to diagnose. Sometimes we can't seem to find it with the guitar upside down (shop position)... as the rods tend to hang the other way when playing. So, if everything else fails, check while lying under the guitar.
Rods may get entangled, shafts gummed up, changer gummed up or stuck with residue, something reaching under or against a stop...

... J-D.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.