| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Maui Girl - Kilima Hawaiians
David Matzenik

Cairns, on the Coral Sea
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2011 6:44 am    

Here's another gem I probably would never have heard without the internet. I love the steel players style, but the vocals are tops too. An altogether remarkable record.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NubcgXZois

Kaua'i
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2011 8:22 am    

Very cool arrangement. The first two minutes are in 3/4 time, which is unusual for Maui Girl, and then they switch back to 4/4 for the last few choruses. Good fun!

Do you know anything about the band? A lot of their YouTube titles appear to be Dutch. One of the captions on a video said that they had been playing together as a band for 45 years as of 1989.

Thanks for posting this!
Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2011 8:58 am    

When I first clicked the link, I thought it might be a Rudy Wairata recording, but I'd certainly think this 78 is way before Rudy's time in the band.

Here is a list of some recordings, Kekoa:

http://www.discogs.com/artist/De+Kilima+Hawaiians?anv=Kilima+Hawaiians%2C+The

I came across a hundred or more recordings on the Internet somewhere within the last 3 months and kept a lot of it--both Dutch titles and the hapa-haole titles. I really like a lot of it.

The first pic shows Rudy on steel. Not sure who the steeler is in the second pic.

Peter den Hartogh

Cape Town, South Africa
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2011 9:16 am    

The guy holding the steel guitar in the second pic is not the steelplayer.
The real steelplayer is Theo Ehrlicher and he is the second guy from the left, with the dark hair.

And here are two other steel players for the Kilima Hawaiians,
Frans van Oirschot and Coy Pereira.
Mitch Drumm

Post  Posted 9 Jan 2011 10:02 am    

Thanks for that, Peter.

I just found this blurb. It's translated through Google and may not be accurate.

In Holland, the band was one of the most popular singing groups and was successful in Germany. It was founded in June 1934 by Bill Buysman and his wife Mary. Both were constantly in the group until its end.

Bill Buysman played guitar. Mary played the ukulele and was a singer. Other members were (temporarily) Rudi Wairata, Frans van Oirschot, Smoke van der Elst, and Willem Ruivenkamp.

In the early postwar years, they played Hawaiian songs and also played cowboy and Western songs in which they often wore cowboy costumes.

Bill died on 23 June 1991, his wife Mary on 17 February 2002.
Peter den Hartogh

Cape Town, South Africa
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2011 2:20 pm    

Walter Niesing emailed me to tell us that the steeler on Maui Girl was Jo de Gast. Thanks Walter!
Walter is a wonderful source of information and very knowledgable about Dutch Hawaiian Music.

Hey Walter! Don't you want to tell us some more on the forum?
It seems that the Kilima Hawaiians are finally getting some recognition in the States. Very Happy
David Matzenik

Cairns, on the Coral Sea
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2011 3:20 pm    

Thanks all for the interesting information and great photos. Both Andy Iona and Andy Cummings did swing versions of Maui Girl, but I see in the Aloha Collection of Hawaiian Songs, a reissue by Centerbrook Publishing, Maui Girl is presented as a waltz. The website Huapala acknowledges the author as S T Kalama and Copyright under Reynolds in 1892. Funny? Centerbrook indicate it is theirs 1999.

Kaua'i
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2011 11:10 am    

David, interesting that you found sheet music of Maui Girl as a waltz. I'd thought that 3/4 time was just the Kalima Hawaiians' innovation for this song, but looking around a bit I've found recordings done in waltz time by King Bennie Nawahi and by Ernie Tavares. Ernie Tavares even does the same 3/4 to 4/4 switch halfway through. I haven't found any contemporary recordings in waltz time, nor have I heard it sung that way in hundreds of concerts and kanikapila sessions, but I guess it wasn't unusual back in the day.
basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2011 12:33 pm    

Rudy was elected to the European Steel Guitar Hall of Fame in 2009..
Go HERE and click on his name.. there is a wealth of information to be gleaned.

Peter, figure this one out from the Dutch site:- http://www.pmouse.nl/wairata/
Quote:
In de periode 1962-1963 neemt Rudi Wairata in Duitsland nog een aantal platen op voor het 777 label. Zijn begeleidingsgroep heeft dan de naam The Hawaiian Boys. In 1966 wordt hij in Duitsland gesignaleerd met The Waikiki Islanders, hij bespeeld dan een pedal steelgitaar.

Steelies do it without fretting

CLICK THIS to view my tone bars and buy——>
David Matzenik

Cairns, on the Coral Sea
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2011 1:34 pm    

Kekoa, I'd like to hear the Benny and Ernest versions. They were both such important players. I love waltzes on fiddle or steel guitar. It does not surprise me that Maui Girl is not heard in Waltz time anymore. The waltz is a rather sentimental sounding song for this age cynicism. The waltz has hung on though, in Bluegrass and American Old-Time circles, and it is still used to close out a contra-dance.

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2011 3:52 pm    

Here are a few:-
Andy Iona Click

Andy Cummins Click

A studio Group playing Maui Chimes and Maui Girl Click

Arombai Click

George De Fretes Click

Unknown (to me) Click

Tavares Click

Jose Norman's Hawaiian Band Click

Last edited by basilh on 10 Jan 2011 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mitch Drumm

Post  Posted 10 Jan 2011 5:01 pm    

Here are 3 more:

Ray Kinney:

http://picosong.com/cYd

Poncie Ponce (Maui-born actor from the "Hawaiian Eye" TV show, circa 1961; pretty good singer!) Who is on steel here?

http://picosong.com/cYB

James Molkeha:

http://picosong.com/cYh

Bas: unless my downloads fouled up, the George de Fretes version you posted and the "unknown" version are the same???
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2011 6:24 pm    

Here's 2 more Poncie tunes... http://evilpainclown2.blogspot.com/2008/01/poncie-ponce-pidgin-english-superstar.html

Click on the pic to enlarge.
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2011 6:25 pm    

Here's some more Poncie tunes, more will play than the 2 listed...
http://evilpainclown2.blogspot.com/2008/01/poncie-ponce-pidgin-english-superstar.html

Click on the pic to enlarge.
basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2011 7:30 pm    

Mitch Drumm wrote:

Bas: unless my downloads fouled up, the George de Fretes version you posted and the "unknown" version are the same???

You WERE right Mitch, but it's now fixed. Still don't know who that "unknown to me" version is..
Kekoa Blanchet

Kaua'i
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2011 8:22 pm    

Wow! A veritable bevy of Maui Girls!

David, the "Taveres" file that Basil posted is the same one I have. Here's the Bennie Nawahi version:
http://picosong.com/ceb
Billy Tonnesen

R.I.P., Buena Park, California
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2011 10:31 pm    

The first "Maui Girl" I ever heard was by Harry Owens. I have not had much sucess in finding samples of his recordings on the Internet. They just want to sell you his old albums which I don't think are on CD's.
Peter den Hartogh

Cape Town, South Africa
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2011 6:43 am    

basilh wrote:

Quote:
In de periode 1962-1963 neemt Rudi Wairata in Duitsland nog een aantal platen op voor het 777 label. Zijn begeleidingsgroep heeft dan de naam The Hawaiian Boys. In 1966 wordt hij in Duitsland gesignaleerd met The Waikiki Islanders, hij bespeeld dan een pedal steelgitaar.

Baz, I have no idea how that worked.
It could either be an error, or the German group just did not know (or did not care)
about the fact that there might be another group with the same name elsewhere in Europe
and just used the name The Waikiki Islanders.
basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2011 7:41 am    

No, we DID tour Germany at that time.. and in 1968

The Girls were the Ivor Magido dancers re-badged as the "Tender Plenty" although we called them the "Ten an Penny"
I was their guardian for the tours as they were under-age and I had to sign responsibility for them whilst abroad. I had quite a job protecting them from the advances of our fire-dancer, a hot blooded Polynesian called Danny Tigilau..

ALSO, at that time, Pat and I were corresponding with Mary and Bill Buysman and knew them quite well, It's possible that Rudy DID visit one of our shows and that's probably how the misinformation has occurred.

So no matter what is written, I can categorically state that Rudy never played pedal steel with us (or anyone else for that matter)'though he would have been most welcome to.
basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2011 7:26 pm    

Billy Tonnesen wrote:
The first "Maui Girl" I ever heard was by Harry Owens. I have not had much sucess in finding samples of his recordings on the Internet. They just want to sell you his old albums which I don't think are on CD's.

Billy, It's here:- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVEgIMgYTDw
basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2011 2:33 am    

That Video clip of Harry Owens has very low level audio, so I extracted it, processed it and here it is somewhat improved.
Click HERE
(Done with Logic Pro and a few plugins)
Peter den Hartogh

Cape Town, South Africa
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2011 4:07 pm    

basilh wrote:

Quote:

Baz, I found out how that worked:
This is what you posted 11 March 2001 06:26 AM:
http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum2/HTML/001972.html
basilh wrote:

BTW Rudy died on July 15th 1981 after a series of strokes. He was just 48 years old.
I met him whilst touring Germany with the Waikiki Islanders in '66 and at that time he was playing a twin eight with A6 and E13 (Tuned down to D)

In THAT context the Dutch translation said:
"In 1966 he was spotted in Germany with the Waikiki Islanders, he was playing a pedal steel guitar."

So he was playing in his group The Hawaiian Boys and you were playing with the Waikiki Islanders. And you were both spotted at the same time in Germany.
You mentioned that he was playing a twin eight. I guess the Dutch person who wrote this thought it was a pedal steel guitar.

Hope this helps.
basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2011 4:24 pm    

Nice research Peter.. My God it's almost ten years since I posted that, no wonder I forgot..