| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Greetings all
Tom Moore

Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2011 6:49 am    

Brand new 60 yr. old learner here with a few questions. First off let me say that I had been playing guitar for years and always loved the sound of steel. My wife in her wisdom suggested I purchase one. Upon investigating prices, I'm ashamed to say that I didn't know this wonderful instument existed. I had thought everything I'd been hearing over the years was all pedal.

Long story short... found this terrific site and other resources, listened around the internet for tunes , purchased some Wayne Hancock CDs, and got an SX model from Rondo.

Here's where I need a little steering. The SX came tuned to E major. Tuned the thing to C6th (high G) and popped the high string right away. Ran to the local music store and purchased a set of Ernie Ball P.S. stainless 10 string set. I used the .036 thru .014 strings and used some white graphite grease on nut and bridge, tuned and instantly popped the high string again??? Put a .017 guitar string on and tuned the whole thing down to A6. been playing (learning) this way for a while now.
Any thoughs on this, I'd really like to bring it back to C6th again?

Picking...I realize that the proper method is thumb pick with 2 metal finger picks. I've just been flat picking with a guitar pick. Is this method accepted at all? I've been getting some satisfying sounds out of the thing this way, but if I continue, how much will I be hindering myself?

Thanks all in advance for the help.
Tom
Steve Green

Gulfport, MS, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2011 7:26 am    

Hi Tom,

I'm a relative newbie myself, been playing just a few months. Is the Rondo SX a 6 string? I've always thought the C6 tuning for 6 string was:

Low to Hi: C E G A C E

I don't know where you're getting that "High G" from, but cranking it up that high could be causing it to break.

As far as thumb/finger picks go, I would start using them as soon as possible. It'll feel awkward at first (it sure did to me), but you'll get used to it. It's much easier to get "rolls" and "3 string grips" with the finger picks. If you ever want to experiment with other tunings, such as Leavitt, you'll really appreciate those finger picks for gripping chords.

Hope you enjoy playing your steel as much as I have mine.

Steve

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2011 7:59 am    

Welcome Very Happy
Ditto what Steve said. I fought using finger picks for the longest time and finally buckled down and got through the awkwardness, and now I love them.
Especially if C6 is you thing.

Kaua'i
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2011 8:00 am    

Tom,

Check out John Ely's website for a very useful chart of string gauges.

http://www.hawaiiansteel.com/learning/gauges.php

According to that chart, your .036-.014 set would be right for the tuning that Steve listed (low-to-high C E G A C E), but would be a bit heavy for a high-G C6 tuning (I presume you mean low-to-high E G A C E G).
Tom Pettingill

California, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2011 8:04 am    

Welcome to the forums Tom Smile

Quote:
Tuned the thing to C6th (high G) and popped the high string right away.

As Steve mentioned, a G on top is not the more common 6 string C6 configuration. If you did have a G on top, you would need an 11 or 12 up there.
For 6 string sets I'd highly recommend the Jagwire lap steel sets b0b sells here through the forms http://steelguitarmusic.com/strings.html
Another helpful resource on strings and gauges is John Ely's page here http://www.hawaiiansteel.com/learning/gauges.php
For lots of great general info and tunings, Brad has his Page Of Steel here http://www.well.com/~wellvis/steel.html

Good luck on your new journey, steel guitar is a ton of fun!
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2011 9:29 am    

TM, you shouldn't be snapping your high string, even with higher gauges on a short scale steel, you may have a problem at the nut/bridge. Where is it breaking?
I tune to G# on the highest string and have never popped one, and have gone as high as .017.
Jeff Spencer

Queensland, Australia
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2011 12:40 pm     Tut Taylor - Brother Oswald

G'day Tom. Dont turn back now. Steel is where it's at I reckon! Get onto the finger picks asap, particularly with C6th so you can get the string grips needed for solo playing and bringing out the melody which C6th is so good for. Get onto Doug Beaumier's book/CD's of c6th tunes - simple, beautiful arrangememts -IMO
In saying all this, I think its Tut Taylor or Brother Oswald who play a mean flat pick style on the reso guitar - lap style.
Have fun
Smile
Jeff
Tom Moore

Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2011 2:08 pm    

Wow, what a great community here.
Steve, I think the high G maybe an older style tuning. I seem to be able to mimic some of the passages on old Hank tunes (Byrd?)with it.
Thanks to all for the advice. Guess I'll bite the bullet and get fingerpicks. I'll give those Jagwires a try also.
Tom
Stephen Abruzzo

Philly, PA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2011 2:37 pm    

Definitely try the thumbpick/fingerpicks......but also know that Steve Cunningham often posts his YouTube lap steels vids here. He uses a hybrid style of picking...flatpick with middle/ring fingers as needed. The boy can flat out play some mean stuff.
Robert Jette

Dallas, Tx.
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2011 3:43 pm    

Welcome Tom
I'm also a longtime guitarist/recent steel convert. I definitely made 2 mistakes when I started. I used my bare fingers and I used a dobro bar because it was easier to handle. Once I started playing single note lines, I realized that I would need picks. Once I started playing slants, I realized that I would need a bullet bar. Of course this is only my experience. Oh yeah, one more mistake. I quit playing my guitar and my callouses peeled off. Ouch! Very Happy