| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Best Strings?
Elliott Goldkind

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2011 2:34 pm    

OK, I'm probably opening up a Pandora's box here but here goes...

Today I broke my first string! Whether that means I'm getting better or not, I'd like to think that it at least means I've been playing a lot.

So now that I'm in need, what are the best strings? Smile

For the record, I'm playing a Dekley student model (which having never played any other guitar, I love!) and it has a little chart stuck on the neck that says that that 5th string was an 0.18 (not a .17).

Thanks again to all!
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2011 5:37 pm    

Elliott,I use GHS Boomers,I haven't tried any other kind and the stores in Anchorage have nothing,I'm going to the Phoenix show in a few days and that's on my list to buy strings that I've never tried.The Boomers work well so far.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Allan Jirik

Wichita Falls TX
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2011 7:59 pm    

I'd suggest that you first stock up on some singles that might eventually break- 3rd, 5th, 6th and maybe 10th. Replace the same gauge, plain with plain, wound with wound. You don't have to replace the entire set for a few busted strings.

You're right, what is "best" is very subjective. I'd read Forum posts and pick a couple sets to try. Over time you'll settle on what works for you.
Adam Sorber

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2011 7:35 am    

I've used GHS boomers, SIT strings, and Cobra Coils. I've had the best luck with longevity with the Cobra Coil E9th Premium set for both of my steels.
Fender Super Twin Reverb
Fender Ultra-linear Twin Reverb
Ryan Barwin

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2011 9:15 am    

I keep about a dozen .011's and .018's in my seat, because they inevitably break no matter what brand of strings you use, and you don't want to break up a new set of strings every time.

Personally, I use nickel-wound SIT's because I like the tone, they last a long time, and they do stay in tune. But like everything else about steel guitar, every player's got an opinion, and "the best" is totally subjective.

Whitehouse, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2011 12:53 pm     Strings - Preferred

When I had an MSA S-12 E9th Extended I got my strings from Bud @ Carter Steel guitars in TX. since I moved on to D-10's Emmons L2 & L3 along with a very special Sho~Bud SuperPro II. I have used Cobra Coil Strings exclusively and couldn't be happier. They last for ever even though I change them about every 8 to 10 weeks and I do rotate my 3 guitars 1 at home Sho~Bud, 1 at the rehearsal studio Emmons L2 and one for stage Emmons L3 I buy them in lots of 10 from Steel Guitar Nashville (Bobbe Seymour) and even though my guitar player is a GHS Endorsed Artist I still buy what sounds the best - for me -It's Cobra Coil - now Bobbe is the check in the mail?

Emmons LG3 #2050L Black D10 8X4
Sho~Bud SP2 # Grn/Gry Burl D10 8X6
Lap Steels & Dobros
Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2011 2:00 pm    

Obviously , there is no "best" .. buy strings in the correct gauges by the set or by the dozen of each gauge and change them when you need to. and you WILL need to.
Anyone who says they never break a string and are still playing the factory set a couple years after they got it are playing dead strings that do not tune properly.
Your mileage will vary based on how much you play, how hard you pick and how much your hands sweat and how acidic your sweat is.
Change them BEFORE they break and put them on correctly and you will never (or almost never) break one while performing.
And remember never solder your strings on .. no kidding.. never
Ulf Edlund

UmeƄ, Sweden
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2011 3:25 pm    

Quote:
So now that I'm in need, what are the best strings?

The best strings are new strings!
I find it they are less prone to break and have a clearer tone than old ones. Winking
Seriously, i have tried a lot of brands and IMO as long as you stay away from the really cheap stuff you will be good with most brands.

One common cause for string breakage is lack of turns around the tuning peg. Usually applies to 3rd string.
Wayne Franco

silverdale, WA. USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2011 3:47 pm     Change strings before they break

Strings are under stress when tuned up to pitch even if you don't play the guitar. I never break a string because I change them about every month. Sometimes I'll go a little longer but if you tune your guitar properly you will be able to tell the difference. Maybe as a new player you won't notice so much but its a good habit to get into.
Elliott Goldkind

California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2011 5:11 pm    

Thanks everyone. I appreciate all your input.
Ryan Barwin

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2011 7:19 am    

http://www.b0b.com/infoedu/steelstr.htm

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2011 8:17 am    

When I was giggin' 5 to 7 nights a week, I used SIT stainless strings on my Kline Uni. A bit bright for the first few nights, but they lasted a long time. If I had to touch up the tuning on the 3rd or 4th string more than twice a night, I knew it was time to change them.

The best strings? Without a doubt, Thomastic Infeld strings. Alas, they don't offer a steel guitar set. Very expensive, but very, very good, and worth every penny.
http://www.thomastik-infeld.com/guitars/index.html
Jim Mathis

Overland Park, Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2011 12:41 pm    

Along with this question, how often do you change strings? When I put on a new set of strings, I write the date on the package and put it in the case.

I put a new set of S.I.T.s on my Emmons last night and noticed that the old strings were put on in May 2010, about 8 months. That seems like a long time, but they still sounded good and I had only broken one during that time.

What is normal? I have heard everything from once a week to "never."

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2011 12:45 pm    

"When I was giggin' 5 to 7 nights a week," my string changing schedule was the same as my bathing schedule. Once every four weeks, whether needed, or not. I'd probably go through four or five 3rd and 4th strings in that time though.
Bob Mainwaring

Qualicum Beach Vancouver Island B.C. Canada
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2011 9:20 pm    

Hi there Elliott,
For quite some time (or years) I've been hooked on Jag Wire strings.
I've found out over the time that I've been using them, my string breakage went down in a "big way".
Both my Z.B.'s and my guitar and ol' 5 string are using them.........they are just PHENOMINAL!!!!! to say the very least.

All Z.B.est.

Baawb.
John Robel

colbert washington
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2011 1:48 pm    

The best strings were whatever Jerry Garcia used!!!!
John Owen

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2011 12:24 pm    

Bob Mainwaring wrote:
Hi there Elliott,
For quite some time (or years) I've been hooked on Jag Wire strings.
I've found out over the time that I've been using them, my string breakage went down in a "big way".
Both my Z.B.'s and my guitar and ol' 5 string are using them.........they are just PHENOMINAL!!!!! to say the very least.

All Z.B.est.

Baawb.

The Jagwire strings ARE great quality and they are also a great business to support. As everyone probably knows they were recently having some problems with backlog due to challenges with their supplier. I ordered 4 sets a while back and last night the order showed up in my mailbox. I opened it and found not 4 but 5 sets! There was also a note stuck in the box apologizing for the delay and asking me to 'accept' the extra set of strings free as consolation for waiting. I'd say that's pretty cool. Not only the best strings around but they really care about their customers too. They have my vote.
Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2011 9:59 pm     strings

I've used Frenchy's Steel Mill strings for quiet a while. No problems at all.
Edward Meisse

Santa Rosa, California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2011 10:13 pm    

My last set of strings lasted 17 months. When one finally broke, I decided it was time to change the lot of them. They still sounded fine, though.

Brooklyn, NY
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2011 9:53 am     jagwire

I'd like to add my vote in favor of Jagwire strings. I've been using them for a couple of years. they sound fantastic, and they definitely break less than other brands I have used.

Though I think the model of strings matters as much as the brand. I like the basic Nickel E9 set that Jagwire sells. But I recently tried the special David Spires three-pack thing that they were offering, and I broke the .115s right away on all three sets. Of course it could just be a weird fluke, but I'm going back to the regular Nickel.

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2011 10:49 am    

Had an endorsement with Ernie Ball for years...and have tried completely every string; until I put the first set of jagwires on my steel and Have NOT looked back. By far the most superior string I have ever used and will ever use is Jagwire.
Ricky