| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A Young Buddy Merrill on a Fender Quad
Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2011 12:10 am    

Here is Buddy Merrill at 18 years of age playing a Fender Quad and doing an incredible job.
He plays all of the necks. Take a look and listen.

Aloha, Smile
Don
J. Wilson

Manitoba, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2011 7:33 am    

Wow! I mean WOW! Smokin'! So well played. Hilarious how Lawrence leans in to tell him to smile for the audience at home.... and he doesn't even miss a beat. That would screw me up for sure I think. Thanks for the link.
Morgan Scoggins

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2011 8:38 am    

Lawrence Welk always just kills me. In another video with Buddy Merril and Lynn Anderson doing a Hawaiian song, Lawrence has them wearing leis made out of cheap paper. It looks like he could have sprung for some real flowers. I bet he was so cheap he squeaked when he walked.

Manitoba, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2011 9:01 am    

Morgan Scoggins wrote:
. I bet he was so cheap he squeaked when he walked.

According to Wikipedia he was known to be tight with a dollar, altho reputed to have paid his regular band top dollar for the era.
Don Crowl

Medford, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2011 10:49 am    

It appears he was playing the same model quad that I have with the four push buttons on the second neck. I've grown to really like the sound of mine going through a split cabinet NV 400 & sometimes coupled together with a Peavey Renown [twin amps]. Buddy did some good work in those days. I wonder if he is still around. dc
David Eastwood

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2011 3:00 pm    

That was wonderful - and caused me to spend a large part of my afternoon poking around on YouTube looking for more Buddy Merrill!

My education continues here every day... now, how do I tell my wife I'm exploring clips from Lawrence Welk shows?
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2011 3:52 pm    

Great clip. It's been posted here a couple of times in the past, and every time I hear it I wonder why Buddy M ever gave up that Stringmaster! He sounded way better on that guitar than his Emmons pedal steel IMO.
Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2011 6:45 pm    

Quote:
He sounded way better on that guitar than his Emmons pedal steel IMO.

I totally agree with you, Doug!!

Quote:
It's been posted here a couple of times in the past

I have posted a couple of other numbers by Buddy on the Forum, but not this particular song. If this particular song has been posted before I was unaware, but it doesn't hurt to hear again. Does it?

Aloha, Smile
Don
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2011 8:39 pm    

Quote:
...it doesn't hurt to hear again. Does it?

no... keep it going! Here's another clip of Buddy M on his Quad Stringmaster: Click

Buddy later switched to a Fender pedal steel and then an Emmons pedal steel.

These old clips make it clear that something has been Lost in our modern steel guitar technology, in both the guitars and the amps. Oh Well
J. Wilson

Manitoba, Canada
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2011 8:43 am    

Well I have read a lot about how there was no 'verb back then, or any special processing per se. They just plugged in and played D.I.

I think this approach called for playing with greater precision and, particularly, expression.

I played cello for many years, both solo and of course in orchestras, and there were absolutely no short cuts ('verb, distortion, compression, unique equipment or tone ehancemnets of any kind) to getting the best sound out of a cello other than through dedicated practice founded on centuries-old principles and of course, good technical execution and expression.

In my estimate, technology has created a bit of disparity between what we are capable of (the past as Doug has referred to above) and the present, with it's many sonic/digital options. They've become a bit of a crutch.

Hell, I know I sound a damn sight better with a little 'verb than I do when I play D.I. completely dry. I am sure I am not alone. But music, performance, instruments, just like language itself just naturally evolves. Fortunately, we have these old videos and the SGF with it's living connections to the techniques of the past to remind us of best practices. Whether we choose to listen or not is up to us I guess...
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2011 9:11 am    

Very well said, J.W. I agree 100% Smile
Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2011 9:40 am    

This is super. Thanks for the link.

It looks like he plays with all of his necks turned on. I don't see him hitting any switches when he changes necks. Which makes me wonder - how does he do all of that bar slamming with the other necks open and "on" (the outer necks that don't benefit from some "jacket sleeve damping")? I would think some rumble from the other open strings would build up. But I don't hear any.

Also, great bar-slam and bo-wah action about a minute in.

Manitoba, Canada
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2011 9:54 am    

My guess would be that the tunings on each neck are sympathetic and that only the relative harmonics would be agitated (as in a Zitar) and hence, less intrusive or noticable. All that said ... I don't hear anything except his great steel playing either. Very inspiring, and he was so young when this was recorded.
J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2011 11:04 am    

It's amazing how much of Speedy's playing and techniques, even beyond the for this era typical "bhoo-whah" and bar slam sounds, seems to come thru many of Buddy Merrill's tracks found on youtube.

What became of him, where is he? Is he still playing?

Well, check this out:
http://www.buddymerrill.com/
http://www.buddymerrillmusic.com/

CD's available:
http://www.gragroup.com/buddy.html#

I wished he would join us here and shed some insight in his playing techniques.

... J-D.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.
J. Wilson

Manitoba, Canada
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2011 11:37 am    

I read thru all that stuff yesterday and he seems to have pretty much retired in 1988. I shot off a post to one those site inquiring as to his current musical activities -- but you rarely hear back from sites like this. I'd imagine its a type of question he's been asked too many times. That said, I will let you know if I hear back for sure.
Jeff Spencer

Queensland, Australia
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2011 1:48 am    

Now check out the other clips of him playing a strat finger style Shocked - where did he get the time?? Just think - not only did he not have the gizmos but would have had teaching aides - U-tube, dvd's, books, forums to discuss tunings etc etc. Makes this playing even more amazing!
Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2011 9:05 pm    

J Wilson says,
Quote:
In my estimate, technology has created a bit of disparity between what we are capable of (the past as Doug has referred to above) and the present, with it's many sonic/digital options. They've become a bit of a crutch.

Hell, I know I sound a damn sight better with a little 'verb than I do when I play D.I. completely dry. I am sure I am not alone. But music, performance, instruments, just like language itself just naturally evolves. Fortunately, we have these old videos and the SGF with it's living connections to the techniques of the past to remind us of best practices. Whether we choose to listen or not is up to us I guess

I have been saying this for years, only you say it much better. I see it changing the natural sound of the instrument to an unnatural sound. Rolling Eyes IMHO

Aloha, Smile
Don
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2011 10:52 pm    

Quote:
(no) teaching aides - U-tube, dvd's, books, forums to discuss tunings etc etc.

Very true. When I started playing steel about 1969 I had my guitar, a tuning fork, and a record player! That was about it. You were on your own back then, and had to figure things out by ear.
Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2011 3:50 am    

I played a gig last weekend at Lazy J's Roadhouse in Lake Elsinore, CA. I hear that Buddy lives just a few blocks from there.

Manitoba, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2011 7:25 am    

Hi All,

Glad to see there is still some interest in this topic because Gloria, Buddy's sister, actually wrote me back! I have attached the email string below. If there are any updates I will add them as I get them.

Enjoy -- and thanks to Don for starting this string. Its been inspiring!

----------------------------------------------

Hi!

Mr. Merrill has been discussed a lot on the Steel Guitar Forum of late. He has a lot of fans there. We are wondering what he has been up to this past decade and if he plays anymore. Any info I can pass on?

Thanks,
John

--------------------

Hello-

Thanks so much for your email.
My name is Gloria Williams – I am Buddy’s sister. My husband and I maintain his website for him.
I am sorry to say, no, Buddy does not play any longer. He is happy, though, in his retirement and
really enjoys listening to many different kinds of music. If anyone on the forum has any questions for Buddy, technical or just as a fan, please direct them here. I will contact Buddy for the answers and forward on. (Buddy does not have a computer)
Thanks so much for taking the time to email us.

Best Regards,
Gloria Williams for
Buddymerrillmusic.com

--------------------

Thanks Gloria!

I was literally blown away by your brother’s skill on steel guitar and standard guitar. Wow! He was really something else! It is too bad that he doesn't play anymore but I understand how these things can get to be difficult in later years.

There are simply too many examples of his standard and steel guitar work on You Tube.com to comment on as they are all quite brilliant. He sure had a golden touch. After seeing a video that a fellow named Don Kona Woods posted on the steel guitar forum, I was so blown away I that I wound up watching Buddy Merrill videos for most of the afternoon! There were others on the forum who said they did the same thing too. There are enough videos to keep a fan or aspiring guitarist busy for a very long while.

I am curious what the most recent video of Buddy might be. I have found several on YouTube.com but the most recent appears to be the early/mid 70's. By my reckoning Buddy should be about my Dad's age so I thought there might be something more recent somewhere accessible to his fans.

Does he keep his old instruments from back in the old days around in case he decides to tinker for old times sake?

I noticed there was mention of a documentary he was featured in. I think it may have had to do with the history of the Fender guitar or something. Do you happen to sell copies of this particular documentary on dvd? If so, how might I go about purchasing it?
Thanks again! Your brother is a living connection to the golden age of rock-n-roll, jazz and western swing and more. His skill is staggering to watch!

Cheers,
John Wilson
Winnipeg, MB

--------------------

Hello-

I talked to Buddy today and he gave me some info you may find interesting.

The documentary he was in is called Strat Masters and for availability, check out this website: www.headstockmedia.com. There you will find the dvd available in PAL only (Headstockmedia is out of the UK) but with info on the US distributor.

In answer to your questions:
The Youtube videos are the only ones unless you can find a vhs tape of early Welk shows somewhere.

Buddy was born 7/16/36, so is 75 this year.

Regarding his old instruments, he still has the old steel guitar custom built by himself in 1955. He also has 2 Emmons steel guitars that were used in his recordings (I’ve seen these Emmons guitars – one of them has so many foot and knee pedals, I don’t know how he played it so perfectly!) and on the Welk show.

He has some of his electric guitars and whatnot but not the Stratocaster he played in the 50’s – that was returned to Fender when he retired from the show.

I hope this info is helpful to you – and he asked me to thank you so much for your kind words. He is so happy he is remembered!

And I thank you also – I love gathering info for his fans – I get to learn so much!

Have a great evening!

Gloria Williams for
BuddyMerrillmusic.com

--------------------
J. Wilson

Manitoba, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2011 8:49 am    

Hi again,

I have a timely update from Gloria on the topic of her brother Buddy Merrill that just hit my inbox:

----------------------

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 10:23 AM, Gloria Williams wrote:

Hi there-
I did get the previous email – haven’t been able to get back with you.

In the film clip, Buddy is playing a Fender String Master, 2 pickups on each neck. He no longer has this one, as it was returned to Fender.

He was trying to remember the tunings he used on this particular song and came up with the following:

1st neck: (closest to him) this is the one he has trouble remembering, as he tuned it specifically for the song. He thinks it was E flat 6th, G on top.
2nd neck: C 6th, G on top
3rd neck: F 9th, G on top
4th neck: Same as 2nd neck, but 1 octave lower.

Most of the time, he used the same tunings but sometimes did tune 1 neck specifically for the song he was playing.

Regarding your comment of how he played so aggressively without the strings on the other necks ringing, he told me he never ever had that problem, so has no idea.

I have to add this tidbit myself – Buddy began playing steel guitar at age 9.( He used a pocket knife for a bar). At age 11 he was part of our Dad’s band, The Fremont River Rangers. I remember hearing him and watching him when I was 3 or 4 (Buddy was 19 when I was 3) and we have so many recordings he did before he was with the Welk Band. I was a professional musician for 30 years (pianist) and I have always felt that Buddy was better at the steel at 19 than some other big names were in their 30’s and 40’s. He is and was so very talented.

Anyway, I hope this info is helpful. He says it is ok to post whatever you want.

Thanks again for your contact -
Have a great day!
Regards,
Gloria Williams for
Buddymerrillmusic.com

PS: I also wanted to add that Scott Seely, who produced Buddy’s records at Accent Records, passed away this week – he was I believe 98 yrs. old. Scott was the owner of Accent records and S & R Productions.

-----------------------

Thanks Gloria!

That's awesome information! I will post this to the forum right away!

Please give a warm hello to Buddy from all of us at the Steel Guitar Forum who have been influenced and impressed by his remarkable performances.

Cheers,
John
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2011 9:03 am    

Wow! This is all very informative and inspirational! I've been wondering about Buddy for some time now, and a lot of questions are being answered here.