| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Alvino Rey
Richard Park

Alexandria, Virginia
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2011 5:46 pm    

I don't even remember what I was looking for on Google, but I ended up here. Alvino Rey. Are you kidding me? The guy is unreal. Check out this Lawrence Welk Show appearance and read the Wikipedia lowdown. Amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHlmsMhcdrM&feature=related

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvino_Rey
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2011 6:13 pm    

In 1988 or 90, Rey appeared at the convention with a 17 piece big band. I must admit, I'm not a big fan of that kind of music, but this was the man who invented our instrument, and I was thrilled to witness a performance by him.

Unbelievably, throughout the audience, people were complaining. "Who is this guy? Why is he here? Why isn't he playing country? I don't want to hear this crap, I came here to hear country," etc.

It was very disappointing to see so many people who were so closed minded. Their complaints marred what otherwise would have been a thrilling and exciting experience.
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2011 6:24 pm    

Sounds like the perfect time to tell them to beat it out of there if they didn't like it.
Billy Tonnesen

R.I.P., Buena Park, California
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2011 8:26 pm    

What a Master at playing "finger harmonics" ! I saw Alvino twice in the 50's, once with his big band at the Ocean Park, Ca. Ballroom and once with a Combo at a Club in Hollywood, Ca. He gets his own unique sound out of whatever brand of Guitar he is playing.
My friend and Steel player Bobby Hines while working at Fender helped Alvino set up his Fender double neck to Alvino's speceifications.
Dr. Hugh Jeffreys

Southaven, MS, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2011 3:58 pm    

Being a friend with Alvino has certainly been ONE of the many highlights of my lifetime music experience. He and his group were in the spotlight for 7 + decades. I was especially moved when, according to his family, I am the only steel player he ever endorsed. His daughter Liza told me that the last letter that he ever wrote was to me. I have many momentos that he sent to me, including a collection of recordings that he rejected pressing because one or the other thing did not suit him. I used to talk to him about once a month; he had many interesting stories to relate regarding his great career. When I sent my album (The Doctor of Steel) to him, he called me as soon as he heard it and gave it many kudos. I was really impressed.
Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2011 4:26 pm    

Alvino Rey played at my Dad's high school prom in the 40's just before my father enlisted for WWII. I can remember him telling me how fascinated he was by Alvino's steel guitar sound when I was growing up - he couldn't have been happier when I brought my first steel home.
Dr. Hugh Jeffreys

Southaven, MS, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2011 7:21 am    

Jeff Garden wrote: I can remember him telling me how fascinated he was by Alvino's steel guitar sound when I was growing up. One of the best compliments that I have received over the years is when someone comes up and says--that does'nt sound like a "regular" steel guitar. Today I continue to try being different.
Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2011 7:29 am    

Another case, for me, of learning the roots of something I already knew about, and thought was unique. Now I discover where Speedy West got a lot of his approach!
Mat Rhodes

Lexington, KY, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2011 7:35 am    

His picking hand theatrics alone deserve comment. It's so good that it looks "faked".
Ray McCarthy

New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2011 10:42 am    

No finger picks Exclamation
Dave Simonis

Stevens Point, WI USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2011 6:06 pm    

And his "talking" steel guitar was sensational!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPd9cxqKCVg

Fiddle: Zeta, Arthur Conner, many others.../Steel: GFI SD-10 Ultra.../Mandolin: Breedlove.../Guitar: Gibson, Fender, Taylor.../Amps: Peavey NV112, Evans FET 500.../Others: Hilton, Goodrich, Stereo Steel, Pendulum Pre-amp...